Is the Forum running slow tonight.

Hymer C 9.

Bazza454 - 2007-11-15 11:23 AM

Is it necessary to install an additional Defragmentor when there is the MS one already available in 2000, XP or Vista? I use it weekly and it seems to work really well.

I think it really depends on your usage of your PC and the extent to which the disk becomes defragmented.

The MS defrag program used to have a bad reputation but appears to have been improved over the years. I've had no cause to install anything else with our current machines.

As with any software, if what you have meets your needs then I would see no point in changing.

Graham

Microsoft defrag is slow and needs hard drive space to work. If your hard drive is nearly full it won't defrag as it needs quite a bit of spare space to do the defrag operation, whereas Power Degragmenter works in DOS (the basic Disc Operating System) so doesn't need the disc space.

If you go on to the internet and put Power Defragmenter in a search engine and read some of the reviews on it you'll find that it does the job much better, quicker, and easier than the Microsoft one. If you are happy and want to stick to Microsoft then that's your choice but why not try Power Defragmenter and see what you think, you've nothing to lose - it doesn't install a programme into your machine or registry, it just sits there, working on its own, so if you find you don't like it just take it out.

Oh, forgot to say, it's free as well!

:-D

Archived