Letter Boxes

John52

Have been coming home to find papers sticking out of my letter box - not what you want advertising to burglars when the house is unoccupied. >:-(

So I tried pushing some letters through myself.

Have you ever tried pushing a letter through your own door?

Christ it was awkward. Recently had new door fitted and the letter box has a stiff brush inside to stop draughts - which is all very well but makes it practically impossible to push a letter through without pushing your hand through with it - and can't expect anyone to do that when they can't see whether there is a fierce dog on the other side .>:-)

Fortunately the brushes prized out easily (and still leaves a spring closed flap either side to stop draughts) - Much easier to push mail through now so larger envelopes can be delivered, and hopefully no more mail left sticking out B-)

Guest pelmetman

What??? 8-) ..........

Is our resident apologist for criminals complaining about his empty gaff becoming a target???? (lol) (lol) (lol).........

Hip Hip O Crite :D ........

I think it is a very fair point and there must be a better way to insulate a letter box door hole that enables the postman to push mail completely through.

Imagine the poor postie have not one but hundreds of similar sealed letter boxes to deal with every day.

An external lockable outside mailbox is one idea but that means going outside and getting cold to get your mail!

I had already weakend the sprung outer flap on ours and removed the spring entirely from the inner flap as it is not in an exposed position where wind and rain can get in.

Any crime prevention copper will advise to get protruding mail removed when you are away, along with other sensible things like leaving a car on the drive if possible, curtains open, lights on a timer preferably not in a room open to public gaze in.

We have a post box on the wall outside our house. Luckily the post man uses it. As it is under the porch roof , you do stay dry, and can peep in before opening , to see if any post there.When we had van, and where away for long periods, a friend had a key and would empty it, and throw away the loads of "rubbish" mail , that the poor postie has to put in as well.

PJay

Archived