Queen gets bailout

Bulletguy

Johnson’s government has confirmed it will top up the Queen’s income following a significant slump in the Crown Estate’s revenue during the coronavirus crisis.

The royal family takes in rental receipts from shops in London’s Regent Street, alongside malls and retail parks around the country – but the value of its portfolio has fallen by more than £500m since the pandemic hit.

The Treasury said it would provide the estate with extra money to meet any shortfall in profits and make sure the Queen’s sovereign grant remains at its current level.

Robert Palmer, the head of Tax Justice UK, added: “This royal bailout will be tough to stomach for people who love the Queen but have lost their jobs and businesses during the pandemic.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/queen-bailout-coronavirus-sovereign-grant-royal-family-b572508.html

Bulletman seems to have grabbed the wrong end of the stick here.

Crown Estates has had a bad year and achieved reduced revenues. All of the revenues are taken by the Treasury into the public purse. The Treasury, quite separately, pay the Sovereign Grant to the Queen and the Treasury has made it clear that the Sovereign Grant will still be paid in full.. Once upon a time the King or Queen took the whole of the Crown Estates income to fund their public role, including running Buckingham Palace, but for many years has received only this much smaller amount, equivalent to no more than 25% of Crown Estates income. Even in a bad year like this one, Crown Estates income more than covers the Sovereign Grant so the Treasury always keeps the surpluss. The Queen pays for her private costs, such as those of running Sandringham House, from her private income, which includes that of the Duchy of Lancaster estates. As I understand it she is not legally obliged to pay income tax on this but does so voluntarily. Same with the Duchy of Cornwall income of Prince Charles.

You could argue that the public purse has suffered a loss this year because Crown Estates has not done so well but the costs of our Monarchy are still more than covered by it so there is no extra burden on the taxpayer. The Queen has had her usual money, no more no less, and she has kept her staff on without using the Furlough scheme.

StuartO - 2020-09-26 10:03 AM

from her private income, which includes that of the Duchy of Lancaster estates. As I understand it she is not legally obliged to pay income tax on this but does so voluntarily..

Would be nice to know what belongs to her, and what belongs to us, because it switches backwards and forwards like an MPs second home.

Windsor Castle belonged to her, till the fire in her care.

Then it belonged to us because we got the bill for repairing it.

It was the outcry over this that pressurised her into agreeing to pay tax - whether she does or not who knows?

Now we have paid for restoring them, the Windsor castle paintings are hers again.

Because we are not allowed to see them, unless she loans them out to a museum

She has money in her tax havens.

Like the Brexiteer 'newspaper' owners backing Bojo.

Brexit has prevented the EU getting into them though an EU wide tax treaty and making them pay tax.

Then there is all the hugely valuable jewels given from one head of state to another.

Are they hers or ours?

We don't even know whats happened to them.

So they could stuff their pockets and scarper with them if they ever had to face an election.

Crown Estates has had a bad year and achieved reduced revenues. All of the revenues are taken by the Treasury into the public purse. The Treasury, quite separately, pay the Sovereign Grant to the Queen and the Treasury has made it clear that the Sovereign Grant will still be paid in full..

Come on Stuart, most people have 'had a bad year' but many are not seriously wealthy with a huge buffer between them and the P45. What the tax justice guy said sums up most peoples feelings, “This royal bailout will be tough to stomach for people who love the Queen but have lost their jobs and businesses during the pandemic.”

Bulletguy - 2020-09-26 1:56 PM

Crown Estates has had a bad year and achieved reduced revenues. All of the revenues are taken by the Treasury into the public purse. The Treasury, quite separately, pay the Sovereign Grant to the Queen and the Treasury has made it clear that the Sovereign Grant will still be paid in full..

Come on Stuart, most people have 'had a bad year' but many are not seriously wealthy with a huge buffer between them and the P45. What the tax justice guy said sums up most peoples feelings, “This royal bailout will be tough to stomach for people who love the Queen but have lost their jobs and businesses during the pandemic.”

I appreciate that you would like to abolish the Monarchy and disposses all the Royals, so that their money could be distributed among more deserving Corbyn supporters but I don't see it getting through in this Parliament, do you?

StuartO - 2020-09-26 3:10 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-09-26 1:56 PM

I appreciate that you would like to abolish the Monarchy and disposses all the Royals, so that their money could be distributed among more deserving Corbyn supporters but I don't see it getting through in this Parliament, do you?

I don't know what gives you that idea as i'm not or ever have been in favour of a Republican state. Ironic you mention Corbyn as he undoubtedly is!

I don't see (a democratically elected head of state) getting through in this Parliament, do you?

Well perhaps we can agree on something :-D

Her Unelected Majesty effectively gives Bojo enormous power through the royal prerogative,

so I expect him to repay her with enormous amounts of our money in return.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-09-26 5:39 PM

I don't see (a democratically elected head of state) getting through in this Parliament, do you?

Her Unelected Majesty effectively gives Bojo enormous power through the royal prerogative,

Hahahaha.........So Queen Fishface has no power? >:-) .......

So which Queen is locking up you Jocks? :D .......

Just askin........

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.53fc0f6e6d0c853d30bb29f2ad34f9ba.jpg

pelmetman - 2020-09-26 6:07 PM

Just askin........

Do you think Her Unelected Majesty the Queen gives Nicola Sturgeon the same powers as Bojo?

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-09-27 7:31 AM

Just askin........

Do you think Her Unelected Majesty the Queen gives Nicola Sturgeon the same powers as Bojo?

You had the opportunity to leave ;-) ..........

It's not Bojo's fault you lacked the Gonnads >:-) ..........

maxresdefaultmuttley.thumb.jpg.57e0b4088afd4e6bd35aa7b9cb6b6ab0.jpg

pelmetman - 2020-09-27 9:49 AM

John52 - 2020-09-27 7:31 AM

Just askin........

You had the opportunity to leave ;-) ..........

I'll try again *-)

pelmetman - 2020-09-27 9:49 AM

So whose fault is it that Bojo is showering Scotland with your money to bribe us not to vote for the nationalists, and maintain his empire at your expense *-)

Oh and how does Bojo giving me your money not make you the loser *-)

Archived