Small businesses - uncomfortable statistics

Bulletguy

Brexit has made our life more difficult, say two thirds of all small businesses across Britain

Around half of UK SMEs believe that Brexit has had a negative impact on the UK’s society as a whole awhile 64 per cent believe that it has negatively influenced the UK economy.

Moreover, one in four said Brexit has affected their business directly, according to new data shared with City A.M. this weekend.

Cloud accounting provider FreeAgent found that over half of businesses experienced shrinking customer bases, while 43 per cent were impacted by supply chain issues and found it harder to get cost effective supplies or produce for their business.

Meanwhile, two in five of SMEs said costs had increased since Brexit, particularly to import goods, while 16 per cent suffered a talent shortage as they are finding it harder to recruit staff.

Nearly one in five SMEs (19 per cent) have considered closing their business during Brexit and one in five also did not think their business would survive Brexit.

https://www.cityam.com/brexit-has-made-our-life-more-difficult-say-two-thirds-of-all-small-businesses-across-britain/

I have certainly noticed an impact. Everything in tech / IT has rocketed in price here and stock levels have been chaotic as have lead times. The rot started in 2016 when the exchange rate, mainly against the Dollar fell off a cliff. In more recent times its been shipping costs and availability. Just about everything comes in from China but it goes to distribution centres in the Netherlands before coming here and thats where the costs and delays have spiralled due to Brexit red tape and increased tariffs and charges. 600% increase in shipping some say.

Of course I just pass these costs onto the end users so its them that are getting hit but the availability and lead times of certain kit is a complete PIA, coupled with the chaos Covid has caused, people working from home etc nothing is remotely as slick as it once was in the ordering and delivery process.

A relative owns a chain of travel agents......possibly the worst business to be in. :-(

Prior to the pandemic he employed 100 staff and had a seven figure turnover but God knows what stage he's at now. He built the business up from nothing, just a laptop at home before he bought his first premises.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-04 9:45 AM

Not based on any forecasts or predictions, just the facts of where we now are.

"And in general, governments everywhere would leap on any policy that would raise GDP by 5 per cent."

https://www.cer.eu/insights/cost-brexit-september-2021

Its worse than that though isn't it?

Trade barriers have raised costs for all of it

11.2% of our trade has become loss making and stopped is only half the story

The remaining 88.8% must be working for a lower profit margin?

Which makes the size of the national debt Johnson is ringing up even more scary 8-)

"And in general, governments everywhere would leap on any policy that would raise GDP by 5 per cent."

Bump for Pelmethead as I'm sure he'd like to share his brilliant insight on these actual figures.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-05 10:08 AM

Bump for Pelmethead as I'm sure he'd like to share his brilliant insight on these actual figures.

... probably a kiddy cartoon and a shouty post containing the word LOSER :-S

Bump, we know you are lurking Dave, so on give us your analysis.

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-05 8:26 PM

Seeing as costs are rising across the world ;-) ...........

It's got F*ck All to do with Brexit and everything to do with Chinky Flu *-) ........

As I have experienced first hand whilst trying to do building work in a Pandemic 8-) .........

But heyho.......At least my dough is is being spent in Brexit Blighty B-) ........

pelmetman - 2021-12-05 8:36 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-05 8:26 PM

Seeing as costs are rising across the world ;-) ...........

It's got F*ck All to do with Brexit and everything to do with Chinky Flu *-) ........

As I have experienced first hand whilst trying to do building work in a Pandemic 8-) .........

But heyho.......At least my dough is is being spent in Brexit Blighty B-) ........

Care to explain how if "costs are rising across the world" our trade is 11.2% lower?

CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-09 9:31 AM

Looks like the penny is dropping with the Express, how long before its readers realise that they have been played?

Many realise now and it's only the few potty Pelmet types left still unable to admit they've been conned.

I had a look at the report in the last Brexpress featured in that tweet and right at the article end where they know Brexiteers never get that far, they've made a "clarification" saying;

"A previous headline on this article stated ?'EU red tape' ??risked causing problems for small UK firms as post-Brexit customs changes come into force from January 1, 2022. In fact, ?the customs changes are the result of the negotiations between the EU and the UK in the aftermath of Britain's withdrawal from the bloc. We are happy to clarify this."

The comments are worth reading.

let me get this straight. We leave the EU, the EU applies the rules as we are a 3rd rate nation to them now, and its the EU's fault? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.... anyone believing this is as thick as a ditch.

This is UK red tape, nothing to do with the EU. It is, however, only needed because of Brexit, perhaps that is what you are finding confusing?

The "red tape" is the checks being appllied by the UK, not the EU. And thre reason the checks are needed is because of Johnson and Frost's Brexit deal!

This one is brilliant;

The Brexit folly has made exporting uneconomical for thousands of companies. If you are exporting low value items, the extra cost when you are not in the single market makes exporting unviable. It is no longer economical to exports say a cheese worth £20.

The single market was set up to allow cross border exports at the same cost as home market sales. Companies that are now unable to export small orders at a profit due to Brexit would never have have existed had we not been members of the single market. Many will now fail as it is no longer variable to export to the EU at a profit a a third country. We voted to become a third country but from the Brexiteers rhetoric one would think the EU forced us to become a third country.

It is foolish to complain now about trading rules that have always been applied to third countries, having freely chosen to become a third country.

Brexiteers say the EU are punishing us. They are in effect saying that the EU should continue to let us enjoy EU membership benefits after leaving. This is cloud cuckoo land thinking, but now it seems to be the norm for Brexiteers as they shun data analysis and rational thinking in favour of their blind toxic Brexit dogma.

Archived