Submarine party

Violet1956

I see in some of the reports of party held by the crew of HMS Trenchant it is claimed that it was in breach of the lockdown regulations. There is no offence committed if it can be shown that there was a reasonable excuse. I think many would agree the crew would be home and dry (pun intended) on that one. ;-)

Apparently there were concerns about the Captain's judgement over previous issues but the crew came off patrol for repairs (where they had of course been isolated) and were staying together on board (rather like a confined family) before going straight back on patrol so on that basis having a BBQ on the jetty as a group was little different from a family having a BBQ in their own garden.

I doubt we'll hear the full story unless the Captain ends up being court marshalled, maybe not even then.  The Navy doesn't seem to tolerate errors by commanding officers of ships and submarines - remember the second Captain of HMS Queen Elizabeth (the new carrier) was abruptly relieved of his command.

Violet1956 - 2020-04-24 9:29 AM

I see in some of the reports of party held by the crew of HMS Trenchant it is claimed that it was in breach of the lockdown regulations. There is no offence committed if it can be shown that there was a reasonable excuse. I think many would agree the crew would be home and dry (pun intended) on that one. ;-)

Looks like an ill judged call by the Captain who had been advised the planned partying would be inappropriate. However long they had been at sea is no excuse either as they'd have communication wherever they were so the Captain and crew would have full knowledge of the situation.

Can't say the same for this young couple though who left to sail the Atlantic before it was declared a pandemic.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/22/couple-at-sea-for-a-month-reveal-shock-at-scale-of-coronavirus-pandemic

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-04-24 7:01 PM

I feel sympathy for the crew who have been at sea for a couple of months,just hope the Captain doesn’t get hoisted by his Jolly Roger.

If you see a submarine flying a Jolly Roger it means they've made a kill ;-) ..........

Barryd999 - 2020-04-25 10:15 AM

I Dont see anything wrong with it, as long as the kept to themselves. Video here

https://forcescompare.uk/submarine-commander-relieved-of-duty-for-dj-set-in-dock/

The sub CO's seniors did though and as he'd already been advised against it, they've took it to the next stage and relieved him of his duty. It may seem harsh and it doesn't say if the 'advice' was just that or an order. Unlike 'civvy street' discipline in the forces is strict for obvious reasons and rightly should be seen to apply to all ranks. Had he been a Cabinet Minister he'd have got away with it as we are not 'all in this together'.

pelmetman - 2020-04-25 11:31 AM

I feel sympathy for the crew who have been at sea for a couple of months,just hope the Captain doesn’t get hoisted by his Jolly Roger.

If you see a submarine flying a Jolly Roger it means they've made a kill ;-) ..........

Or Captain Pugwash.

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-04-25 3:54 PM

pelmetman - 2020-04-25 11:31 AM

Or Captain Pugwash.

Best let the seriously stupid liberal lefty liberal brigade on here know ;-) ........

That someone else is in the frame 8-) ........

For sinking the Belgrano 8-) ...........

• 6 months later...
Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-11-04 8:25 AM

StuartO - 2020-04-24 9:34 AM

The Navy doesn't seem to tolerate errors by commanding officers of ships and submarines -

Only when it suits them

.....log book of HMS Conqueror went missing when it fired the shot that sunk the Belgrano ....

Spoken like a true traitor >:-( ...........

Did you complain when any of our ships were sunk? *-) ..........

pelmetman - 2020-11-04 9:09 AM

The Navy doesn't seem to tolerate errors by commanding officers of ships and submarines -

Only when it suits them

.....log book of HMS Conqueror went missing when it fired the shot that sunk the Belgrano ....

I am not complaining about the Belgrano being sunk

Just asking for your professional opinion on how a submarine's log could go missing

....... when it fired the shot that sunk a battleship?

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-11-04 3:42 PM

pelmetman - 2020-11-04 9:09 AM

Only when it suits them

I am not complaining about the Belgrano being sunk

Just asking for your professional opinion on how a submarine's log could go missing

....... when it fired the shot that sunk a battleship?

Have you asked the Argies for their professional opinion of why they sunk our ships? *-) ........

You really do hate the English dont you........Jock52? ;-) ..........

Everyone needs to have a rest. Indeed, it is dangerous, but I understand the guys. This pandemic situation really changed everyone's life and it's really difficult to accept all the restrictions and the prohibitions that covid has brought into our lives. We also made a graduation party with our graduates this summer in a private house. We even organized some programs and a small concert with the help of https://www.ontourevents.co.uk/exhibition-stands-product-launches. And honestly, luckily everyone was healthy and no one got sick. I still hope that this crazy turmoil will finish soon and we all will return to a free life as before.

StuartO - 2020-11-04 10:56 AM

Bu,ping this old thread looks very much like the work of a troll so I suggest our moderator reverses the process.

To the best of my knowledge the Out&AboutLive forums have just three members with Moderator privileges and (again to the best of my knowledge) none of these three people involve themselves with ‘moderating’ the Chatterbox forum.

The reason for this is that the forum Administrator (who has forum privileges additional to those allowed a Moderator) is evidently unconcerned with what happens on the Chatterbox forum - and, if the Administrator isn’t concerned, why should the Moderators be? I could easily make the Chatterbox forum unusable if I so chose - but I’m sure the Administrator would not like that and why should I bother anyway?

If a forum participant has a complaint over anything said or done on the Chatterbox forum, they should contact the Administrator directly about this.

Archived