The fallacy of living on an island helps

teflon2

Time and time again I see posts that say because we live on an island we should have been able to reduce coronavirus infection.

Air travel can be over land or sea. No advantage.

Land travel by car across borders you remain in your car. No advantage

Cross the English Chanel and unless you use euro-tunnel you have to use a ferry with the following Disadvantages.

Close and personal contact queue to leave the car deck.

Close and personal contact to try to get a seat or table.

Close and personal contact queue to food.

Close and personal contact queue for drinkers.

Close and personal contact queue for duty free shopping.

Then to leave you have to queue to return to the car once again close and personal contact to return to the car deck.

Only needs one person infected with the virus to infect a lot of people and that's an advantage ? and at peak periods it's unavoidable

teflon2 - 2020-05-14 6:59 PM

Only needs one person infected with the virus to infect a lot of people and that's an advantage ? and at peak periods it's unavoidable

Precisely but thousands of people had to go back to work this week so we will probably be heading for a second spike now. :-(

Bulletguy - 2020-05-14 8:25 PM

Precisely but thousands of people had to go back to work this week so we will probably be heading for a second spike now. :-(

So you want the lockdown to continue? Is it part of your cunning plan to bankrupt the country and usher in your beloved Trotskyist rulers?

The economy has to get moving again but its too soon. Again us being behind the rest of Europe we could have waited an extra couple of weeks or so and witnessed how the other countries that were ahead of us got on. I reckon the second wave will be far worse than the first. Its getting the balance right but we could have waited a little longer.

As for being an island the advantage of that is you could have controlled the borders more effectively but we chose not to. Did I read somewhere today that 18 million people had flown into the UK since it all started?

Time and time again I see posts that say because we live on an island we should have been able to reduce coronavirus infection.

Cross the English Chanel and unless you use euro-tunnel you have to use a ferry with the following Disadvantages.

Then to leave you have to queue to return to the car once again close and personal contact to return to the car deck.

The virus can't fly over the sea, so it must have come through the borders BoJo has taken back control of

Countries with thousands of miles of land border crossings, don't have that advantage.

If we can test and quarantine at the Borders now, why couldn't we do it before the virus got established ?

Not as if we didn't have plenty of notice.

747 - 2020-05-14 10:07 PM

So you want the lockdown to continue? Is it part of your cunning plan to bankrupt the country and usher in your beloved Trotskyist rulers?

It didn't need a pandemic to bankrupt the country....your beloved Brexit has been doing a sterling job of that.

Barryd999 - 2020-05-14 10:24 PM

The economy has to get moving again but its too soon. we could have waited an extra couple of weeks or so

We are doing

But England has to get back to work to make the money for BoJo to bribe Scotland, Wales and N Ireland with. Or we will vote for the Nationalists, and BoJo will lose his empire

The economy has to get moving again but its too soon. Again us being behind the rest of Europe we could have waited an extra couple of weeks or so and witnessed how the other countries that were ahead of us got on. I reckon the second wave will be far worse than the first. Its getting the balance right but we could have waited a little longer.

B..but...herd immunity! Not to mention the disaster capitalists making loadsa moolah from the pandemic. Rees-Moggs company told it's investors the dive in stock market valuations around the world since the pandemic took hold had made “excellent entry points for investors” and provided a chance to make “super normal returns”.

Bulletguy - 2020-05-14 10:45 PM

B..but...herd immunity! Not to mention the disaster capitalists making loadsa moolah from the pandemic. Rees-Moggs company told it's investors the dive in stock market valuations around the world since the pandemic took hold had made “excellent entry points for investors” and provided a chance to make “super normal returns”.

I wonder if it was a clever ploy by Mr Rees Mogg and his company , develop and spread a virus and make a wedge of cash ... Its disgraceful especially after his company made everyone vote for Brexit

Guest pelmetman

You've just p*ssed in Barry & John52's ditch theory (lol) (lol) (lol) ............

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-05-14 10:38 PM

747 - 2020-05-14 10:07 PM

It didn't need a pandemic to bankrupt the country....your beloved Brexit has been doing a sterling job of that.

So given the choice ;-) ........

Which would you prefer?.......

A mythical Brexit recession......Or the Pandemic Depression? 8-) ........

pelmetman - 2020-05-15 7:02 AM

You've just p*ssed in Barry & John52's ditch theory (lol) (lol) (lol) ............

You are both completely missing the point that testing and quarantine comes after you have done all that

I'll try again *-)

If we can test and quarantine arrivals now, why couldn't we do it before it was too late *-)

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-05-15 7:15 AM

You are both completely missing the point that testing and quarantine comes after you have done all that

I'll try again *-)

If we can test and quarantine arrivals now, why couldn't we do it before it was too late *-)

Because there's just a trickle of people coming into the country now *-) ............

Said that most of the countries have left the borders open to freight traffic only ....

... Cross the English Chanel and unless you use euro-tunnel you have to use a ferry with the following Disadvantages.

1. Close and personal contact queue to leave the car deck.

Just need to keep let say six feet between you and the person person in front of you on the stairs. Not impossible.

2. Close and personal contact to try to get a seat or table.

Limit passengers to freight operators only and the problem disappear. To open lounge floors also helps.

3. Close and personal contact queue to food.

Most people can survive 90 minutes without food. Even four hours for those coming from ROI. Just close the self service.

4. Close and personal contact queue for drinkers.

See item 3

5. Close and personal contact queue for duty free shopping.

Not essential. Just close it.

6. Then to leave you have to queue to return to the car once again close and personal contact to return to the car deck.

Don't be in a hurry. Disenbarking takes more than 30 minutes. You don't need to queue. See also item 1

mtravel - 2020-05-15 10:25 AM

Said that most of the countries have left the borders open to freight traffic only ....

... Cross the English Chanel and unless you use euro-tunnel you have to use a ferry with the following Disadvantages.

Just need to keep let say six feet between you and the person person in front of you on the stairs. Not impossible.

Limit passengers to freight operators only and the problem disappear. To open lounge floors also helps.

Most people can survive 90 minutes without food. Even four hours for those coming from ROI. Just close the self service.

See item 3

6. Then to leave you have to queue to return to the car once again close and personal contact to return to the car deck.

Don't be in a hurry. Disenbarking takes more than 30 minutes. You don't need to queue. See also item 1

Have you actually been on a car ferry when it's time to disembark you would think it was sinking, personalty I'm one of the last down to stay out of the mob They will not load until I've gone so I don't have to worry, I also don't hold anyone up it's called common sense but unfortunately the stampeding herd don't see it that way

teflon2 - 2020-05-15 7:04 PM

See item 3

Have you actually been on a car ferry when it's time to disembark you would think it was sinking, personalty I'm one of the last down to stay out of the mob They will not load until I've gone so I don't have to worry, I also don't hold anyone up it's called common sense but unfortunately the stampeding herd don't see it that way

I find those points from mtravel hilarious, with him being Italian. :D

This video shows the everyday life of the average Italian. ;-)

https://9gag.com/gag/an4KYob

pelmetman - 2020-05-15 7:18 AM

I'll try again *-)

Because there's just a trickle of people coming into the country now *-) ............

and there would only have been a trickle of people coming into the country then if BoJo had brought the testing and quarantine in BEFORE it was too late.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-05-15 9:07 PM

pelmetman - 2020-05-15 7:18 AM

I'll try again *-)

and there would only have been a trickle of people coming into the country then if BoJo had brought the testing and quarantine in BEFORE it was too late.

It was already too late *-) ............

As your Commie chums had ensured we along with the rest of Europe were infected with THEIR virus >:-( ..........

747 - 2020-05-15 7:54 PM

See item 3

I find those points from mtravel hilarious, with him being Italian. :D

This video shows the everyday life of the average Italian. ;-)

https://9gag.com/gag/an4KYob

Thanks for reminding me that there was a comic actor named Renato Pozzetto.

You know he is almost eighty, since that time the Italians have changed slightly, just look at how they observed the indications on distancing during the lockdown.

Did you do well too?

In Italy we have enjoyed the Little Britain television series.

Do you think they were just stereotypes or a pitiless view of your lifestyle?

Max

Between 2017 and 2019, in Denmark, Sweden, Norway and the United Kingdom (Channel + Inner Hebrides) I have used I have used more than twenty ferries, perhaps thirty and I never thought of sinking.

I have never used bars, bought food or went to the duty free shops.

Most Italians crowd them because they don't know that whisky costs less in Italy.

Or they think that original whisky can only be bought in distilleries or duty free.

I mean good whisky, for example those from Islay or Skye which are my favorites.

Max

Back to basics. :-D With respect, none of the above seem to me relevant to whether we could have prevented coronavirus entering the UK.

People (who carry the virus) arriving from abroad have to pass through UK customs and immigration checks to enter the UK. That is where the cordon sanitaire is formed. Accept the conditions for entry, or return whence you came.

So, had we imposed quarantine requirements on all foreign arrivals, including UK nationals arriving from abroad, and combined the quarantine requirement with compulsory virus testing, we could have excluded the virus. However, that exclusion would have to have been applied without exception, meaning all truck drivers, ships companies, air crew, and UK border control and customs staff working outside UK, would also have to have been quarantined and tested before they could enter.

Not quite practical, I think, if goods were to flow, ferries to run, aircraft to fly, and UK customs and immigration clearances continue to be handled in France. Those requirements would have to have been imposed as soon as the virus was detected in China, since aircraft do fly from China to UK, either directly or indirectly. The problem was that at that early stage there were no tests available, and our knowledge of the virus was so sketchy that it is improbable in the extreme that any responsible government, of any persuasion, would have taken such a draconian step at that time.

The best that could have been achieved, so far as I can see, is what we started off by doing, which was to test anyone who had travelled to UK from abroad within the preceding two weeks, who also showed the symptoms of Covid, isolate them, and hold them in quarantine until the test results cleared them, or they recovered (or were otherwise treated) from Covid. That approach was initially successful. But then, we dropped that approach.

The overriding question to me is why that decision was, actually, taken - because that is, from everything I have seen and read, the point at which the virus began to spread unchecked within the UK.

Brian did you actually read the first line in my post I'm challenging the repeated comments posted by others that declare that because we live on an island we should have been able to reduce the corona virus infection rate of infection. (^)

mtravel - 2020-05-16 9:09 AM

In Italy we have enjoyed the Little Britain television series.

Do you think they were just stereotypes or a pitiless view of your lifestyle?

Max

Ooooh Maxey baby - you may have a valid point there!

The trouble with fallacies is that amongst the great unwashed of the nation there may be more than the occasional phallus - and some of 'em are on here too - you only have to see the crud they write to realise that!!

Guest pelmetman
mtravel - 2020-05-16 9:31 AM

Between 2017 and 2019, in Denmark, Sweden, Norway and the United Kingdom (Channel + Inner Hebrides) I have used I have used more than twenty ferries, perhaps thirty and I never thought of sinking.

I have never used bars, bought food or went to the duty free shops.

Most Italians crowd them because they don't know that whisky costs less in Italy.

Or they think that original whisky can only be bought in distilleries or duty free.

I mean good whisky, for example those from Islay or Skye which are my favorites.

Max

Seems to me ;-) ......

Max doesn't have a very positive view of his fellow Italians :D ........

I reckon I even detect a hint of superiorty complex? >:-) .........

You remind of someone on here? :D ........

Oh yeah Waldorf (lol) ........

Waldorf.jpg.56994a0c96962be1c7482e347783d984.jpg

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-16 11:48 AM

The overriding question to me is why that decision was, actually, taken - because that is, from everything I have seen and read, the point at which the virus began to spread unchecked within the UK.

As far as I can see its the infighting within the Tory party, resulting in policy swinging backwards and forwards getting the worst of both worlds.

Cameron called the Brexit referendum to stop it, but it didn't work.

We see it in many other areas, like the Prison service with policy switching back and forth between rehabilitation, and punishment, again getting the worst of both worlds :-S

BoJo didn't even bother to tell the leaders of the devolved nations about his change of policy in his confusing broadcast last Sunday night - which was bound to get their backs up. He is going to have to give us even more of your money, to bribe us not to vote for the Nationalists, if he is to maintain his empire

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/17/as-lockdown-consensus-unravels-boris-johnson-divides-nation-and-party

Archived