Threats and Intimidation

John52

William Wragg, the Conservative chair of the Commons public administration and constitutional affairs committee, has accused the government of trying to “blackmail” MPs pushing for a confidence vote in Boris Johnson. He made the claim in an opening statement at the start of this morning’s committee hearing. Wragg, of course, is one of the few Conservative who has publicly called for Johnson to go.

Here is the statement in full.

In recent days a number of members of parliament have faced pressures and intimidation from members of the government because of their declared or assumed desire for a vote of confidence in the party leadership of the prime minister.

It is of course the duty of the government whip’s office to secure the government’s business in the House of Commons.

However it is not their function to breach the ministerial code in threatening to withdraw investments from members of parliament’s constituencies which are funded from the public purse.

Additionally, reports to me and others of members of staff at No 10 Downing Street, special advisers, government ministers and others encouraging the publication of stories in the press seeking to embarrass those who they suspect of lacking confidence in the prime minister is simply unacceptable.

The intimidation of a member of parliament is a serious matter. Moreover, the reports of which I’m aware would seem to constitute blackmail. As such, it would be my general advice to colleagues report these matters to the Speaker of the House of Commons and the commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, and they’re also welcome to contact me at any time.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2022/jan/20/boris-johnson-conservatives-tory-labour-latest-updates?filterKeyEvents=false&page=with:block-61e933e18f08df4c489a675c#block-61e933e18f08df4c489a675c

I dont think he will go now. There is no honour left whatsoever in this government and for a party I was once very much a part of I would be thoroughly ashamed to be now.

Still, if he hangs on and this drags on and on they may well get crucified in the May elections.

This is what I have against identity cards.

It gives our personal information to corrupt politicians which they can use in circumstances like these.

Boris Johnson presents this carefully crafted image of buffoonery and bonhomie

But we see again, he is actually a nasty piece of work with a ruthless determination to get to, and stay at the top. >:-)

As in if you don't vote for me, I will give your personal information to my friends in the gutter press to embarras you and your loved ones >:-)

Barryd999 - 2022-01-20 11:54 AM

I dont think he will go now. There is no honour left whatsoever in this government and for a party I was once very much a part of I would be thoroughly ashamed to be now.

Still, if he hangs on and this drags on and on they may well get crucified in the May elections.

Looks like these reports of intimidation are probably true.

Johnson was asked about them at his latest NHS photo op today, and he says he hasn't seen any evidence - so, for me , that suggests that it's probably true.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2022-01-20 2:39 PM

Johnson was asked about them at his latest NHS photo op today, and he says he hasn't seen any evidence - so, for me , that suggests that it's probably true.

;-)

Lets face it Malcom....d......what classes as true in your Boris Hate filled world of late.......is prolly not true :-| .......

I'm beginning to wonder if you have employed PeePee as your wet nurse? 8-) ........

;-)

(click for sound)

1173221874_Johnsonevidence.JPG.43c402dff5ee484d4e720420bfc6fb80.JPG

Bulletguy - 2022-01-20 7:52 PM

;-)

(click for sound)

Well, he won't have heard such claims, will he? First, he's always out and about posing around wasting valuable nurses' and doctors' time, and second, I'd be amazed if party whips are stupid enough to put their overt threats in writing. So, Nelson's eye "I see no ships"! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2022-01-21 12:04 PM

Bulletguy - 2022-01-20 7:52 PM

;-)

(click for sound)

Well, he won't have heard such claims, will he? First, he's always out and about posing around wasting valuable nurses' and doctors' time, and second, I'd be amazed if party whips are stupid enough to put their overt threats in writing. So, Nelson's eye "I see no ships"! :-D

Having seen no evidence of any parties ( until it was proved he went to one ) - Johnson was asked yesterday if he had seen any evidence of threats and intimidation.

What was the point of asking him ?

;-)

Archived