Trying to take the van out

Violet1956

Last week we attempted to tour the north Devon coast a bit. The weather was a bit iffy, we didn't book any sites weeks in advance because that does not suit our lifestyle. We try to book CLs on the hoof, i.e. one night ahead. That left us with few choices. When we first embarked on our motorhome journey we imagined a kind of freedom to pitch up almost anywhere at any time,and prepared to pay for the privilege. Sad to say we were left with the dregs last week. On our last night we booked at a CL. In the morning previous when I rang to enquire whether they had space I was told "yes". Not so as it turned out. On arrival we spied 6 vans, only the regulaton 5 were hooked up. So, as we had no where to go, we found a spot. In the morning when I went to the farmhouse to pay I was met with a rather frosty reception. The person who answered my call and confirmed there was a space had got it wrong, so said the rather formidable matriarch. The lady bountiful, who expressed her annoyance with the person who accepted our booking decided that instead of being charged the normal rate of £14per night for hookup I should pay £12. I sometimes despair at the lack of customer care in the UK.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2021-06-15 7:51 PM

When we first embarked on our motorhome journey we imagined a kind of freedom to pitch up almost anywhere at any time,and prepared to pay for the privilege. .

8-) ............

pelmetman - 2021-06-15 8:11 PM

When we first embarked on our motorhome journey we imagined a kind of freedom to pitch up almost anywhere at any time,and prepared to pay for the privilege. .

8-) ............

Glad to hear it Dave.

Last week we attempted to tour the north Devon coast a bit. The weather was a bit iffy, we didn't book any sites weeks in advance because that does not suit our lifestyle. We try to book CLs on the hoof, i.e. one night ahead. That left us with few choices. When we first embarked on our motorhome journey we imagined a kind of freedom to pitch up almost anywhere at any time,and prepared to pay for the privilege. Sad to say we were left with the dregs last week. On our last night we booked at a CL. In the morning previous when I rang to enquire whether they had space I was told "yes". Not so as it turned out. On arrival we spied 6 vans, only the regulaton 5 were hooked up. So, as we had no where to go, we found a spot. In the morning when I went to the farmhouse to pay I was met with a rather frosty reception. The person who answered my call and confirmed there was a space had got it wrong, so said the rather formidable matriarch. The lady bountiful, who expressed her annoyance with the person who accepted our booking decided that instead of being charged the normal rate of £14per night for hookup I should pay £12. I sometimes despair at the lack of customer care in the UK.

Welcome to batty Brexit Britain Veronica.

Had life been normal and the loony lot not allowed out to mess everything up, i'd have advised you to tour Poland where you'd have none of the above nonsense. Wonderful food at sensible prices in superb restaurants dining al fresco, I sometimes used to overnight in the van to avoid driving so I could have a drink. Always perfectly ok of course because it's Poland, not batty Brexit Britain.

If going on a site the average fee ranged from £4 - £8.50 a night......and yes, that's with EHU.

Speaking to a couple of friends a few weeks ago who used to work as site wardens during the summer here, they chucked it in after last year where they got fed up with abuse not just off the site owner but also customers.

We don't do customer care here Veronica......just 'do' customers.

Sorry to hear that Veronica but I am not surprised. God knows what the school holidays will be like. Its a staycation sellers market I guess for all types of accommodation.

We will be heading to our favourite Rally field / CL on the Yorkshire coast for a few weeks where I am assured they will find space for us and then in the School Holidays if trip one works out up to the Scottish Islands (well one in particular). Least thats the plan. We lasted just 17 nights last summer but that was partly down to the awful weather in August.

Roll on the care free days of touring Europe for months on end. Oh hang on, make that 90 days. *-)

Barryd999 - 2021-06-16 11:41 AM

Sorry to hear that Veronica but I am not surprised. God knows what the school holidays will be like. Its a staycation sellers market I guess for all types of accommodation.

We will be heading to our favourite Rally field / CL on the Yorkshire coast for a few weeks where I am assured they will find space for us and then in the School Holidays if trip one works out up to the Scottish Islands (well one in particular). Least thats the plan. We lasted just 17 nights last summer but that was partly down to the awful weather in August.

Roll on the care free days of touring Europe for months on end. Oh hang on, make that 90 days. *-)

Dont tell me anyone else is drab enough to want to spend weeks on end on a muddy farmers sheep field in Flamborough ... Didn't you tell us you spend 6 months of the year, every year touring in ya motorhome

Birdbrain - 2021-06-16 8:38 PM

Barryd999 - 2021-06-16 11:41 AM

Dont tell me anyone else is drab enough to want to spend weeks on end on a muddy farmers sheep field in Flamborough ... Didn't you tell us you spend 6 months of the year, every year touring in ya motorhome

It was often more than six months of the year in the van for about ten years. Did I not say we were also going up to the Scottish Islands this year? Given veronicas troubles and the fact that everywhere will be stacked having pretty much a private rally field to ourselves (until there is a rally) right next to some of the most spectacular coastal scenery in the UK sounds good to me.

Veronica's experience is why we stopped touring the UK years ago, overpriced, bad attitude, pre booking, being herded into a compound - sorry site - every night like the unclean - who needs it - we are supposed to be a freedom loving nation but long long before Brexit or even Covid that all disappeared - but the whingers have to blame something I guess?

I doubt we will buy or use a van again untill mainland Europe opens up - if we live long enough - by which time there should be plenty of vans available due to disillusioned campers who found that the alleged freedom to wander nomadically and responsibly does not exist in the UK.

No offence to those who love sites, EHU, etc - each to their own - but it just ain't our scene.

Tracker - 2021-06-16 10:59 PM

Veronica's experience is why we stopped touring the UK years ago, overpriced, bad attitude, pre booking, being herded into a compound - sorry site - every night like the unclean - who needs it - we are supposed to be a freedom loving nation but long long before Brexit or even Covid that all disappeared - but the whingers have to blame something I guess?

I doubt we will buy or use a van again untill mainland Europe opens up - if we live long enough - by which time there should be plenty of vans available due to disillusioned campers who found that the alleged freedom to wander nomadically and responsibly does not exist in the UK.

No offence to those who love sites, EHU, etc - each to their own - but it just ain't our scene.

I neither love nor loathe sites, well I suppose I loathe poor value sites ... I cant honestly remember really having a bad attitude from anyone on a site either here or abroad, maybe we have been lucky ... Its really ridiculous to blame Brexit on site difficulties but Brexit is to blame for everything in the eye of the haters

Birdbrain - 2021-06-17 6:20 AM

I neither love nor loathe sites, well I suppose I loathe poor value sites ... I cant honestly remember really having a bad attitude from anyone on a site either here or abroad, maybe we have been lucky ... Its really ridiculous to blame Brexit on site difficulties but Brexit is to blame for everything in the eye of the haters

Do you ever read posts before replying?

Tracker was not blaming Brexit.

But since you mention it

I suppose its necessary to point out that Brexit could make it more difficult to travel abroad and thereby increase pressure on UK campsites.

John52 - 2021-06-17 9:06 AM

Birdbrain - 2021-06-17 6:20 AM

Do you ever read posts before replying?

Tracker was not blaming Brexit.

But since you mention it

I suppose its necessary to point out that Brexit could make it more difficult to travel abroad and thereby increase pressure on UK campsites.

Errr ... I wasn't saying Richard Tracker was blaming Brexit, I said "haters" and Richard isnt a "hater" ... Hate on

Odd that Veronica should choose to use the Chatterbox forum for a posting that is clearly motorhome-related and appropriate to the Motorhome Matters forum. It’s usually vice versa, where the political wrangling comments that nowadays dominate Chatterbox occasionally (though only temporarily ;-) ) get posted to Motorhome Matters.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-06-18 9:06 AM

Odd that Veronica should choose to use the Chatterbox forum for a posting that is clearly motorhome-related and appropriate to the Motorhome Matters forum. It’s usually vice versa, where the political wrangling comments that nowadays dominate Chatterbox occasionally (though only temporarily ;-) ) get posted to Motorhome Matters.

I had thought that it would be refreshing for something apolitical to be posted the chatterbox forum Derek. A comment about poor service as much as it was about motorhomes. Still it seems my efforts amount to a triumph of hope over experience. ;-)

Your original posting could have been submitted to the “Sites Speak” forum or the “Motorhome Matters” forum, where it would (or should) have been ‘safe’ from the Vampires-versus-Werewolves Brexit Boys.

Your choice, of course, as the Chatterbox forum’s statement of purpose Chat about anything and everything... allows total freedom as long as the content of a posting meets the criteria specified in the 3 threads at the head of this forum’s homepage.

Archived