Fresh water...change how often?

Rocles

Les,

Hi & Welcome I would of thought that you would be using it to much to worry about therefore you will be constanly flushing it threw.

All them cups of tea take their toll you know :D

But we always empty it totally when we get back home and leave it on the drive. That way we fill up fresh everytime I wouldnt advise you to use stagnant water.

Happy camping.

Wow, that was a quick response, thanks. All I need now is a method to refill the tank...I've been recommended to get a new, standard type hose pipe, reserve that only for fresh water duties, and fill that way. Would you say thats OK?...or is a container and pump better?

cheers,

Les

I would thats what we use the only thing we do add is we do not M/Home in England . When you are abroad you tend to find different fittings come in handy like that hozelok system.

Move your questions up to Chatterbox thats what its for your likely to get loads of answers ;-)

Guest starspirit

I agree with Michele.

We empty on return home and refill the night before travel.

We then use about half the tank and top it up aiming to come home with not a lot left in it, but maybe just enough for an extra unscheduled overnight stop on the way home if the mood takes us.

At the start of a new season we fill full, leave it overnight, empty and refill and we never have any problems with bad taste (except my jokes).

The pundits recommend food grade hose and you can buy this quite reasonably at the shows. Failing that a decent garden hose will work just as well but with a risk of tainting the water.

We have 10' and a 20' length with hozelock type connections and a hozelock tap threaded adaptor which fits most site taps. I also carry a 30' garden hose for when a tap is beyond reach or the ground is very wet but very rarely use it.

I have a collection of odd connectors of differing sizes collected over the years and about once a year I need one of them. Occasionally I find a tap that nothing will fit, in which case one of the rubber tap connectors with jubilee clip designed for unthreaded taps comes into it's own. I also have a large size one (tap connector that is) bored out tapered which will make a joint with just about any tap.

But then if you only camp on club and major sites just a short hose and screw on connector will be enough.

We also carry a 2L bottle of water in case of pump failure, leaky tank or tap failure - and to date it has worked because we have not yet suffered any of these.

Happy travel.

Rich.

Hi Les. This only my personal view but I never use water from the onboard tank for drinking purposes boiled or not. Water standing in a plastic tank, often in warm conditions, is to me a ideal breeding place for who knows what. Better to use this water for showering or washing up etc. only, and carry a small container that can be changed at least once a day for your drinking needs.

Guest starspirit

Conversely I never shower whilst away as it is a waste of perfectly good drinking water.

Each to his own and no one is ever right or wrong - we just see and do thinks differently.

Mind you, just between ourselves, I have always had me doubts about Howie?

We use ordinary hose, never had a problem in all of the years we've been using it. We've also got one of the squigly ones, the spiral things that extend, look a bit like a spring, but whilst they are okay at home and in the UK we find when paying for water they are not good enough - the water is 'timed' and we often only got half of what we'd paid for due to the narrow diameter of the spring hose. We've never had tainted water yet with either of these although I only use the hose for fresh water. When ever you use the hose though make sure you let some of the water run through it for about 10 seconds before putting it into your tank, that way it cleans out any nasties or bits of dirt that may have accidentally got in it.

We always empty our tank when we get home and never fill it more than a day before we are due to go away. Rich's recommendation about giving it a good fill and flush at the beginning of the season will keep it nice and clean. We always use our tank for drinking, washing etc, never any problems at all.

As well as the hose fittings, we also have a large black funnel, you can get them from motorist shops, about £1.00, they have a flexible piece of pipe sticking out from the bottom which nicely fits into the filler on the motorhome and means that if we can't get near to a tap to attach our hose, or if it's one that nothing will stay on (some of the ones on French aires hardly have an 'end' to the tap to attach anything to), you can use this with a collapsible bucket, bowl, etc, to top up with water. Again, dont' worry about it not being food grade, you'll only be using it for 'emergency fills' and the water won't be sitting in it long enough to be tainted.

Howie ... judging by the state of your teeth, you need more fluoride in your bottled water!!! (lol)

starspirit - 2007-09-27 7:14 PM

Conversely I never shower whilst away as it is a waste of perfectly good drinking water.

Each to his own and no one is ever right or wrong - we just see and do thinks differently.

Mind you, just between ourselves, I have always had me doubts about Howie?

Sorry to go off thread for a moment Richard but this concerns your user name. As you longer own a Autocruise "Starspirit" I feel this may lead to some confusion to other users. I,m not suggesting for one minute that you intend to mislead anyone, and as I believe you have recently purchased one of those small Japenese imports, then may I suggest that we all now refer to you as "Bongo".

howie - 2007-09-29 7:24 PM

Hello Melanie. Sorry to disagree but its a proven point that fluoride added to local water supplies inevitably leads to a higher incidence of tooth decay and cavities and something else that I would not recommend.

Really??

Source please Howie.

howie - 2007-09-30 12:12 PM

Racked with guilt. :'( .

Fluoride strengthens tooth enamel making it more resistant to decay.

Reduces the amount of acid that the bacteria on your teeth produce.

Reduces decay by up to 50%.

Gets rid of ringworm sometimes.

B-)

Cheers,

Bruce.

Guest caraprof
howie - 2007-09-30 11:35 AM
starspirit - 2007-09-27 7:14 PM Conversely I never shower whilst away as it is a waste of perfectly good drinking water. Each to his own and no one is ever right or wrong - we just see and do thinks differently. Mind you, just between ourselves, I have always had me doubts about Howie?
Sorry to go off thread for a moment Richard but this concerns your user name. As you longer own a Autocruise "Starspirit" I feel this may lead to some confusion to other users. I,m not suggesting for one minute that you intend to mislead anyone, and as I believe you have recently purchased one of those small Japenese imports, then may I suggest that we all now refer to you as "Bongo".

If he never showers whilst on several weeks' motorhoming holiday Howie, shouldn't it be 'Pongo'? :-D

Archived