alternative oven

rogher

Hi..

Not first hand info'.. but I believe that halogen ovens are quite popular (obviously for when on hook up)...although the ones I've seen in shops always appear quite bulky?..

The Double Skillet is/was also spoken highly of(by some).

..to "roast/oven" outdoors, I suppose there's the lidded -Cadac type appliances..or even the charcoal powered Cobb?

All three of the vans that we've had, have all had ovens( 2 UK, 1 euro) but, if I'm honest, I can't recall ever properly using them in anger (..other than for maybe re-warming something through or for a pizza etc :$ ).

I tended to just construct our "menu" around not having to use the oven (griddle pan./ lidded sauté pan /steamer etc).

Having said that, I did try "hob-roasting" a small chicken on a couple of occasions(Using a heavy bottomed pan, on a simmer ring diffuser, sit chick' on chopped veg and cook on a r-e-a-l-l-y low heat). Basically a "Dutch oven" method..

But it took 2-3 hours if I recall (lol) ..and it was more for the novelty of trying it out, than anything :-D

Guest pelmetman

Speaking as a 2 oven family I couldn't enjoy our time away without an oven ;-) ..............I enjoy my grub, I also enjoy cooking it B-) .....

Yesterday I cooked a full Sunday roast...... beef with yorkshire pudding B-) .................The beef was excellent........although its the first time I'd cooked a Sirloin joint, which explains the 23€ price tag 8-).........

P1010250.JPG.4f6123de22ea0d727e699aa19bef07da.JPG

Continental vans tend not to have ovens, as I’m sure I don’t need to tell you, and putting one in is not always a tidy or cheap solution.

If you don’t cook, or eat out, you cannot help. I’m looking for real alternatives that work.

Many years ago we managed on a two ring hob (and grill) and a pressure cooker but things have moved on since then. Or have they?

You can buy combination microwave/convector/grill thingies which are a similar size to a microwave and we had one in an overhead locker space for several years before deciding we hardly used it and took it out. The main reason for not using it might have been because the OH is vetically challenged and could really cope with using it up high, because she keeps saying that she would like a "proper" oven.

Another alternative is a Remoska, which is a remarkably versatile electric top-heating pan, which can cook baked potatoes, roast chops or a chicken, and can also bake a cake. They are not much bulkier or heavy that a biggish pan, so easily carried. They are however also electrical devices, so you probably need to be plugged into an EHU to use them unless you can be bothered with a generator or a big battery/inverter setup.

Despite the problems you read about Smeg gas ovens, I suspect our next MH will have to have one.

rogher - 2015-02-02 1:50 PM

Continental vans tend not to have ovens, as I’m sure I don’t need to tell you, and putting one in is not always a tidy or cheap solution.

If you don’t cook, or eat out, you cannot help. I’m looking for real alternatives that work.

Many years ago we managed on a two ring hob (and grill) and a pressure cooker but things have moved on since then. Or have they?

That's what we use, two burners and a grill, meat gets grilled or a stew, potatoes/rice/pasta gets boiled, and veg gets steamed. We have plenty of space, so could fit an oven, but have never felt the need.

StuartO - 2015-02-02 2:45 PM

You can buy combination microwave/convector/grill thingies which are a similar size to a microwave and we had one in an overhead locker space for several years before deciding we hardly used it and took it out. The main reason for not using it might have been because the OH is vetically challenged and could really cope with using it up high, because she keeps saying that she would like a "proper" oven.

Another alternative is a Remoska, which is a remarkably versatile electric top-heating pan, which can cook baked potatoes, roast chops or a chicken, and can also bake a cake. They are not much bulkier or heavy that a biggish pan, so easily carried. They are however also electrical devices, so you probably need to be plugged into an EHU to use them unless you can be bothered with a generator or a big battery/inverter setup.

Despite the problems you read about Smeg gas ovens, I suspect our next MH will have to have one.

I’ve heard of the Remoska, Stuart, and recently of halogen ovens.

Do you have experience of Remoska? Are they a form of halogen?

PJay - 2015-02-02 5:03 PM

We have an oven , and I do use it occasionally , but a pressure cooker is a must, saves time and fuel

PJay

Agree Pauline, pressure cooker much more sensible suggestion, can't see the point in a motorhome of electric equipment that doesn't run of 12v.

rogher - 2015-02-02 1:50 PM

...If you don’t cook, or eat out, you cannot help. I’m looking for real alternatives that work.

Well, as you had been given some popular alternatives prior to that post (double skillet, halogen oven etc), I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting?...:-S

Maybe if you stipulated what it is you need to "oven cook" and on what power source(EHU? Gas?), folk may've been better placed to offer you "real alternatives that work"..(for you).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=camping+oven&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=2978627362&ref=pd_sl_4ju8r7yuao_p ;-)

Well it’s my view that there’s a big difference between theory and practice. I’m quite able to research the web or watch a demo at a show but I’m old enough to know that what you see is not necessarily what you get.

What I’m trying to establish in my own mind is whether to have an oven installed in my next vehicle or not. It seems that having a portable alternative has many advantages but there is a varied choice and I’d rather not spend time discovering that some of the fashionable options don’t cut the mustard. Hence my plea to those who actually cook without ovens.

Remoskas seem popular and are probably the most versatile (electric) solution, but how do they compare with halogen ovens?

I’m looking for the capacity to cook for two with healthy appetites (a consequence of outdoor living) and, if electric, the ability to run off 6A if required.

In my early days we had a ‘biscuit tin affair’ that fitted over a gas hob ring. It worked but wasn’t very practical and may well be outlawed now because I’ve not seen one for years. I have an ‘all singing, all dancing’ Cadac but cooking outside is not attractive at this time of year, and eating out is not always practical in a motorhome either.

I wouldn't be putting cooking facilities as my priority when choosing a new van ! Yes it's important you have something but I don't go away to spend my time cooking.

I have a halogen cooker at home the temperature goes up to 250deg I'm not sure but I think that might just trip the electrics out on most camp sites ! Apart from that it is cumbersome and heavy. My pressure cooker takes up much less space and copes with meat and veg no problem! No it doesn't cook yorkshires but hey if I want them I can buy frozen and re.heat them in the microwave! But I Don't!

If my O.H would allow it I would probably buy a double skillet as well ! You have to be sensible and think Storage ! Personally I would rather have a storage cupboard than an oven.

Have a good look at what's out there and then decide what YOU want.

Good luck.

We use a free standing oven that we choose to take or leave, depending on how likely we would use it

https://andrewjamesworldwide.com/UserControls/productIndividual.aspx?ProductID=374

We also have a Cobb BBQ http://www.cobb-bbq.co.uk/ this takes a bit of cleaning after use but will roast a chicken, cook pizza and all sorts.

Other than that we use the hob.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, everyone, for your useful feedback.

I’ll take a good look around the NEC to see what’s available and compare with a Remoska from Lakeland. Double skillets seemed to be a viable alternative, for gas, but I think the company that used to sell them has ceased trading.

You've obviously discovered where Remoskas come from and therefore presumably that they are low wattage things with a simple element heater in the pan lid - a relic from communist austerity - but which work well as a lightweight, low wattage cooker in a motorhome.

Lakeland seem to charge a lot of money for them these days (thre times what we paid years ago) and they do crop up on EBay.

Our alternative oven is at home. I pre-cook meals which I can reheat on the 2 ring hob or things like fish and meats which can be grilled.

Removing fish fillets etc from the boxes and storing them in freezer bags saves so much room in the freezer. We no longer eat much carbohydrate like rice and pasta, even potatoes, but pre-prepare say, rice from grated cauliflower and flat pack in freezer bags.

With the fridge and freezer we can normally take food for close on 2 weeks.

As Adrienne can't work the kitchen any longer, I do all the driving, navigating, pitching up and cooking (and at home) so my idea of a holiday isn't going from the driving seat to the oven.

However, there are some wonderful aromas coming from vans where the occupants choose to go to all that trouble.

We have changed the way we eat over the last couple of years (Adrienne lost 3 stone) and keep to it when we're away, although a couple more Guinness and trying local red wines ........

I also have a microwave which I'll bring into service if we find ourselves on EHU for more than a night ,

We always buy vans that have a 'sensible' Oven already fitted, ie not 'perched' above a large fridge making it unusable,safely anyway.

I have seen many dual electric Hotplate/oven combo's at very cheap prices in Aldi and Lidl, but obviously, 'when they are gone' etc., etc., And of course to use them you need a 'decent' electric hook up of more than 6 amps. We had one of these when we 'Tent camped'.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-MINI-OVEN-HOB-COOKER-COMBO-HOT-PLATE-1500W-PORTABLE-RV-TRAVEL-COOKING-/311002294899

We have a 'Double Skillet' that we got in a 'Rash moment' at a show, but have never needed to use it.

http://www.doubleskillet.com/contact-us/

Ray

Hello we have been trying to get our hands on a double skillet for ages have tried all outlets with no luck so if you still have yours do you want to sell it we are also in west wales tried www. double skillet. com but they haven't been around since 2010

Archived