water filler hose

tourer

I would imagine most people have the same problem as me. When I've filled the m/home water tank there's always water dripping out of the filler hose when I've finished and this water always finishes up under the bed storage area no matter what i store the hose in (plastic bags) I saw one Guy wrap the hose around his Bike rack to drain, :-D so I put a female Hoselock connector on both ends of the pipe and a male to male in between them snap them all together and (fingers crossed) no leaks as yet. Oh and I dont need to ram bits of wood etc between the hose and filler tube on the van as the Hoselocks are a nice fit and hold firm without having to hold the hose in (another plus), but dont forget to carry some Hoselock fittings you know, the one's which screw on the tap (screw it on the tap first) as we all know site owners put anything on taps thats at hand. My wife thinks I'm wonderful.

Guest Tracker

Nothing so complicated for us!

I hold up one end of the hose and work my way along allowing all the water to drain out. The hose then rolls up and goes into a hole free strong carrier bag and back inside either the loo compartment or the gas locker from whence it came - so no water inside the van - ever!

I carry two hoses for UK and three for continental trips where finding water 'off site' can be something of a challenge at times. They are all joinable with hozelock fittings.

One is about 15' and is usually all I need, two is about 25' and is needed sometimes and the long 'un is about 40' and is needed very rarely - but when it is I am glad to have it aboard!

We have tried those flat types of hose and they are a real pain to rewind - having first unwould the entire length to get any flow at all - but they do squeeze all - well most of - the water out as they rewind!

Any water left in the hose will taste very stale and plasticky when next used and may even leech out chemicals from the hose material?

Simples!

As rich says just drain it as you roll it up & put it in a poly bag.

I wouldn't connect the ends together leave the ends open so a they can air or you will have horrible sale water in the hose.

And just for Rich my hose collection.

P1040126.JPG.85534511007458d3fe7f21a7fa0ed3ea.JPG

I use "fold flat" hoses. They take a few moments to roll up properly, but no drip problems.

I have a short one - about a metre - for when I can drive right up to the tap, so I don't have to spend the time rolling a big one up properly. Then two more, totalling about 26 metres, for more challenging locations. If all else fails, I have a "water bag" as used by campers, with a tap and a short pipe, and hooks to hang it on the van guttering, so I can always fill the tank a bag at a time!

Guest Tracker
A very impressive collection Lenny - a man after my own heart - but I bet I have a better selection of tap connectors as I have press on, screw on and clamp on adapters to fit almost every known tap collected over many years and have never been beaten - yet!

Rich there are 5 types of tap connector in the pic the green bottom of the clamp on tap connector unscrews and give you a 1" BSP, so I have 1/2", 3/4" 1" BSP, clamp on & push on not been defeated yet.

The clamp on connector comes with a the & green & yellow push fit connetor (hoselock type) from Poundland & they are better quality than B&Q ones I buy them just for the hose connector.

sheer lunar-see - 2010-08-05 4:32 PM My god, what lengths some people go to, do you have anywhere to sleep in your vans ? or does the kitchen sink take up the last bit of space, just in case the one fitted to the van breaks down !!!!

What's this Sheer Lunacy, shafts of wit or wafts of ----.

After a couple of situations where I didn't have the correct attachments to fill the water tank, I now carry a range similar to Lennys, takes up little space and works well. 

Guest Tracker

You do it your way and we'll do it our way!

The ammount of space occupied by hoses and fittings is very small and they all stow into places that would otherwise be empty.

Considering the freedom to roam that the ability to get water at any opportunity it is a small price to pay.

If on the other hand you only ever drive your van to and from a recognised site you may well not need so much hose and whilst I do not criticise that way of caravanning it is not for us nomadic types - which is why we have a motorhome and not a caravan and towcar which would probably be emminently more suitable for site sitting holidays!

Sorry to disapoint but no spare sink - however we do carry a spare fresh water pump and a spare gas regulator - well you never know when you are thousands of miles from home in a strange land where although the local's grasp of English is understandably not good it is better than my grasp of their language!

As Rich says it's not always easy to get water & you need to be able to take the opportunity when it arises. I'm hell if I don't get my morning shower.

Not got around to getting a spare pump it's on the to do list, regulator no need my system has a regulator on each cylinder.

I only carry the minimum of spares & tools as we are always pushing the 3500kg limit sometimes a bit over with full water & fuel tanks. I always try to travel with 75% water I know then I can survive 3 - 4 days without servicing.

sheer lunar-see - 2010-08-05 4:32 PM

My god, what lengths some people go to, do you have anywhere to sleep in your vans ? or does the kitchen sink take up the last bit of space, just in case the one fitted to the van breaks down !!!!

Wait unit you can't fill your water tank as it's just that bit tooooooo far away, or the tap is a weird one .... you'll see what we mean.

We were glad of our little 5 litre water container when we were in Scotland, we asked permission to get water from a toilet block (with drinking water) and were told it was okay, so out came the long hose ... too short, okay, attached the short bit of hose ... still too flipping short - by about a foot! Oh well, out came the water container - we left the hoses as they were so at least it was a very short walk from them to the van - I just turned the tap on and off as necessary - it took a while but we got there in the end ... oh for an extra 12 inches!!!! :D

Rich, Lenny ... I've got someting that you haven't got!!!! :->

Its a short length of strap with a slide through buckle. A very useful bit of kit for when you get one of those push in taps that you have to keep pressed in to get water out of ... I use the strap to hold the button in place and save getting cramp ... it also means the job can be done by one person without getting drenched! *-)

Mel B - 2010-08-05 9:33 PM

Its a short length of strap with a slide through buckle. A very useful bit of kit for when you get one of those push in taps that you have to keep pressed in to get water out of ... I use the strap to hold the button in place and save getting cramp ... it also means the job can be done by one person without getting drenched! *-)

Always have adequate stocks of cable ties on board & a couple of cam-lock straps.

lennyhb - 2010-08-06 8:12 AM

Mel B - 2010-08-05 9:33 PM

Always have adequate stocks of cable ties on board & a couple of cam-lock straps.

I use a "snazzy grab" the type that motorbikers use for strapping their gear to their bikes.

Martyn

Just joshing guys. You wanna see what I carry in my van ( theres not enough space here to list it all.) And then theres the wife who definately wont leave home without the kitchen sink. :-D We very rarely use sites prefering to wild camp in this country and use aires in france. we know a great place for a really cheap weekend, £2 for two days. The journeys a bit hairy in a big van but well worth it, spent last weekend there in fact. not that I,m tight, but hey. B-)

... not now I won't! Not since the messing about in Scotland when both of my 'curly-whurly' hoses, linked together, still wouldn't reach! *-)

The bright yellow hose one is a new addition, the green one is the one we already had but had discarded when we got the 'curly' ones ... now gone back to the tried and trusted standard type hoses - the green one is about 25ft, the yellow about 40ft ... that should suffice for most eventualities!!! If not, then the containers and the funnel (have you got one of these?) solve the problem nicely and it can even be done by one person too ... I have a hook which I can attach to the funnel with a piece of cord and the hook then goes over the bottom inside edge of the (slightly opened) window just above the filler to keep it held in place whilst it is filled from the container. :-D

It's a bit of light hearted fun Bruce.

Yes Mel I have a 5Lt container & a collapseable10Lt (Poundshop) one, my emergency one is the 20m roll flat, got with Green Shield Stamps must be 30 years old threw the cassette to save space & weight. Don't bother with a funnel the odd occasion need to fill with containers I pour it straight into the tank via the service hatch.

Why have you got a spray heads?

Where does a spanner come into water filling?

Spray heads - so if one of us is doing the filling on our own and the tap is some distance away, we can turn off the flow of water at the camper rather than let it overflow and make a mess - they are also useful if we have mucky dogs and want to give them a rinse, or need to rinse off the inflatable canoes when they've been in sea water - these ends are normally used only on sites though, rather than at aires.

Funnel - in our new van we can't get at the service hatch so have to use a funnel.

Ah yes ... the spanner ... if we get short we can always 'loosen' the nut on a fire hydrant for water ....

:-D

:D

... that was a JOKE by the way! (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Its the old gas bottle spanner, we keep it just in case we or someone else needs it, it just 'lives' in the little ex-cooler bag that we put the rest of the stuff in. :-S

• 3 weeks later...

After our recent continental trip (Holland, Germany, Luxembourg) I have added another item to our water kit. A radiator bleed key.

No, we don't have a water filled radiators but at 3 of the sites we stayed at the water tap handle had been removed. At the reasonable sized site in Luxembourg you had to ask at the office for the tap handle. Sounds OK but the office closed at 6:00pm and caught us out after a day trip out in the van.

At a stellplatz in Germany the water was free but you had to obtain a key from the adjacent tourist office. The supplied key was a radiator bleed key which fitted the tap perfectly.

Archived