water filler hose

tourer

AliB - 2010-08-25 1:15 PM

After our recent continental trip (Holland, Germany, Luxembourg) I have added another item to our water kit. A radiator bleed key.

No, we don't have a water filled radiators but at 3 of the sites we stayed at the water tap handle had been removed. At the reasonable sized site in Luxembourg you had to ask at the office for the tap handle. Sounds OK but the office closed at 6:00pm and caught us out after a day trip out in the van.

At a stellplatz in Germany the water was free but you had to obtain a key from the adjacent tourist office. The supplied key was a radiator bleed key which fitted the tap perfectly.

I find that snipe-nosed pliers often do the job...

A battery-powered electric drill is also an invaluable tool to have. On the several occasions when the tap-handles have been removed and my trusty bleed-key, pliers or Mole-grips haven't been able to turn on the water, I've just drilled a hole in the pipe leading to the tap then, once I've filled up my water containers, knocked in an appropriately-sized nail to seal the hole and stop the water flow.

Archived