ABS, ASR, and Hillstart off warning lights

peterjl

Hi

After problems yesterday I have been stewing on this overnight and wondered if anybody else has encountered this.

Yesterday, just leaving to catch ferry and 5 miles from home the above warnings came up with repeated dings to draw attention. It occurred whilst driving down a left hand bend on slip road and I was probably braking gently but not sur about that.

Ended up with two warning lights, the ASR switch light on, and text on dashboard rotating through message that the three above not working.

Being wrong direction to my usual garage google gave me details of HTC van centre which is fiat professional. When we arrived it was working on a selection of commercial vehicles plus lorries.

When I explain ed I was on way to ferry they were very helpful and started investigation, there first thought was faulty ABS pump and controller, they investigated further and eventual confirmed the unit needed replacing. They say fiat original part is £1700! Ouch.

Has anyone else experience of this or idea about replacement cost? I have tried googling abs pump costs but don't really now what I am looking at. I sort of expected it to be costly cos when I had an egr and associated unit replaced at a different fiat professional garage some years back it was expensive.

This is a Euro 5 ducatto 2.3.

Thoughts welcome.

Peter

Hello,

A fault with any ABS sensor will illuminate the ABS light and may give a written indication on the instruments but if you get the ABS, Hill holder and other messages "Not available" this indicates that there is an electrical problem in the control module or a wiring fault near to it. These same messages will come up if the ABS is interrogated through the OBD port. If the ABS system is selected, it becomes unavailable while you are 'in' the system. The dealer may be correct but i would want to do some wiring checks first. A faulty sensor that is shorting out probably would not give these symptoms but it would be foolish to not carefully rule it out before spending lots of money. We have had a few sensor wiring faults above the rear axle on Euro4 vehicles so it is possible that Euro5's could be similarly prone. We have not had any actual sensor failures and no ABS control unit issues at all.

Nick

Hello again,

Please make sure that you let us know how this works out. Having said that we have never had a problem with ABS etc; I now have one! Mine is a 2014 X290 2.3 Euro5 with 167,000 miles on it. It is exhibiting a couple of other faults as well and i suspect a wiring problem. I would be very interested to know if changing your pump solves the problem.

Thanks

N

Hi

The garage tested for faults to make sure it was the unit. They fitted new unit yesterday. That evening I have driven home, then to Dover for night ferry. Today drove 331 miles into Germany.

Touch wood the problem has been solved.

Nick thank you for your advice.

My van is the same model as yours but with only 19000miles. Purchased and registered in 2015 but I know it had been standing in Germany from 2014 and was priced accordingly.

You said you had not come across before, the garage also said something similar. I guess I have just been unlucky.

Regards

Peter

Brian Kirby - 2017-09-06 12:19 PM

Hi Nick. Are you perchance hinting that "rusty junction" may still exist - even on the X290's?

Hi Brian,

Thankfully, no. I had a couple of seemingly unrelated issues (for the first time on a Euro5 X250 or X290) but after thorough testing it seems that it is possible that one fault is the result of another.

I don't want to detract from this thread, so once i have figured it out and fixed it i will write about it separately. It's a good 'un but not something to lose sleep over.

Our local (recently no longer Fiat) dealer told me today that they have fitted one of these ABS pumps before. Just one. It had an electrical fault and was not communicating with the CAN network. They actually only fitted the electrical part because it was too awkward and time consuming to change the whole lot, even though the item is sold complete.

I still don't need one. It's not 'a thing'. Very unfortunate though.

N

• 1 month later...

Hi

Thought I would give an update.

Just returned home after 6 weeks and 4500 miles to the Black Sea and back. Some of the roads in Romania and Bulgaria are not good and one short section was the worst I have ever driven over. That gave the vehicle a good shaking!

The vehicle performed brilliantly, and no more problems with ABS warning lights so I have reason to believe the problem has been resolved.

Peter

Peter.

Glad to hear all went well. question when the issue first came up had your MH been used much before then?

Reason I ask is we have a Ford Focus Titanium which is now a year old we call it 162 reg here anyway it had same errors come on and disappear in the first week after we received the car and I suspect it was because the car was not been used.

first it could not detect ABS sensor and consequently hill start assist was disabled because it uses ABS sensors.

Brian

Archived