Andorra

Deffheads

We decided to return from Spain via Andorra, Great prices for diesel 1.05 a litre, cheap booze, free overnight by shopping mall with services. But we didn't realise that Andorra is not in the EU!!

So mobile phone charges apply and there is no data roaming, Are we stupid or did everybody know this?

Yes , and just look how well they seem to be doing outside the EU New roads, new building projects everyware , very good cheap transport systems. By the way our phones worked normally

Brian B.

ps Updated ski resorts, free ski lift passes for the over 70's

Deffheads - 2019-06-04 7:57 AM

We decided to return from Spain via Andorra, Great prices for diesel 1.05 a litre, cheap booze, free overnight by shopping mall with services. But we didn't realise that Andorra is not in the EU!!

So mobile phone charges apply and there is no data roaming, Are we stupid or did everybody know this?

So what, it is a tiny place and unless you are going to hang around for a bit you will not be there long.

thebishbus - 2019-06-04 8:25 AM

Yes , and just look how well they seem to be doing outside the EU New roads, new building projects everyware , very good cheap transport systems. By the way our phones worked normally

Brian B.

Be careful what you wish for.

Andorra has a resident population of of just over 77,000 (half the population of Norwich!) and approx 10.2 million visitors a year!

Not a member of the EU yet the euro is it’s official currency. It’s a parliamentary principality so it’s heads of state are the president of France (Macron) and the Spanish Catholic bishop of Urgell which makes Macron the current reigning monarch. They have no standing army (so there’s a big cost saving) and instead rely on the protection of France and Spain.

With specific regard to the EU, besides the euro being it’s official currency, it has ‘most favoured nation’ status and consequently Andorra is treated as an EU state as far as manufactured and agricultural goods are concerned which means that Andorra must comply with EU wide laws on these sectors.

You may draw your own conclusions.

BruceM - 2019-06-04 11:04 AM

thebishbus - 2019-06-04 8:25 AM

Brian B.

Be careful what you wish for.

Andorra has a resident population of of just over 77,000 (half the population of Norwich!) and approx 10.2 million visitors a year!

Not a member of the EU yet the euro is it’s official currency. It’s a parliamentary principality so it’s heads of state are the president of France (Macron) and the Spanish Catholic bishop of Urgell which makes Macron the current reigning monarch. They have no standing army (so there’s a big cost saving) and instead rely on the protection of France and Spain.

With specific regard to the EU, besides the euro being it’s official currency, it has ‘most favoured nation’ status and consequently Andorra is treated as an EU state as far as manufactured and agricultural goods are concerned which means that Andorra must comply with EU wide laws on these sectors.

You may draw your own conclusions.

Nice reply ....

thebishbus - 2019-06-04 7:25 AM  ps Updated ski resorts, free ski lift passes for the over 70's

Brian, my favourite ski resort Mt Bulla in the Victorian Section of the AU Alps also has free lift tickets for over 70's. Oh and not in EU either. Cheers.

A bit to far for me to go skiing Gary. Nice to know that we have some rewards for all the money we have spent on lift passes over the years. In the EU Alps any free ones are normally for the over 75's.

Deffheads. We are with Virgin on pay as you go , do not remember paying more last year.

Brian B.

After checking my data balance in France of my Virgin account, I saw that a charge for roaming whilst in Andorra had been made to the tune of £50+.

I rang the Virgin accounts and was informed that I had not turned off the Roaming on my phone, hence the charges, I did not use the phone whilst there as I used the shopping mall wifi.

I'm shocked that a charge can be made without any usage of the network, I have put a complaint into Virgin and cancelled the direct debit.

Archived