Awnings, your views please.

LordThornber

It's fast approaching the time to sign on the dotted line for the next van.

Accepting 100% that we all camp differently, Mel B's recent thread on awning removal (or not), prompts this really.

We know almost buggerall about awnings.

The inflatable drive away ones new to the market have some appeal.

We largely use sites, rarely stay anywhere for anything less than 3 nights, apart from journey breaks, so on the face of it a 4 metre awning seems the way to go.

In the past we've taken a free standing oversized loo tent for shoving bikes, loungers etc in and used for shelter from an odd summer shower but an awning has always appealed.

Your thoughts, alternatives, usual insults, very much welcome please :D

Martyn

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Martyn...

I, personally would prefer any van I had, to have a tidy, study, full length, one piece awning rail fitted...

That way, you're pretty much free to hang what every you want off it then..

( simple tarp'/shade canopies, Drive-aways, full or porch "caravan" type awnings etc)..

Having said that, although that's probably quite easy to achieve on a PVC(by possibly mounting a rail by picking up on any roof rack type fixings etc),but would I want to be drilling a couple o' dozen holes into the side of a new CB?..er?..NO! (lol)

(..I suppose you could "bond" one on...but I'd always be concerned with it letting go...or pulling the outer laminate off!)

Our last two CBs already came with wind-outs(one Fiamma, one Omnistor)..and although I'm not really big fans of either(for our usage) with the Fiamma I was able to mount an aluminium angle and awning rail to the underside of the awning body, by using the existing fixing screw points(hopefully a photo will load?)..but I was unable to do likewise with the Omnistor, as the awning body was configured differently..

As you may have seen from my response to Mel's thread, if staying put for a few days and therefore "setting up camp", we tended to use a Easicanopy (..with maybe a Quechua Base shelter tucked at the one end, for storage etc).Having said that prior to the Quechua, we did manage well enough with a simple, cheap. easy to put up, caravan porch).

708848637_Awningrail.jpg.8cee6d682ee8aee7e24c575ccbd3c619.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
Agree.......could not manage without an awning, and everyone expects one, also selling van on could be problematic? As for drive away awnings, forget it if touring and most end up in garage unused.....

Hi again...

If its a coach-built, payload permitting,then I would probably would opt for a wind-out to be honest(even though we hardly ever used ours) and in the general scheme of things, I would've thought that the cost of it would be relatively insignificant when viewed in the total cost of the van...

Even if it is for no other reason than to have something to fix to.....?

BUT I would want to be certain that it's "body" was of a design that would give me the option to attach something similar to what I did(in the photo above)..

I couldn't do the same on "our" Omnistor because whereas on "our" Fiamma the outer beam/section, just had a "front face", the Omnistor rail was "L" shaped which capped the lower face(so blocking off access to any fixing points).

(I've used the term "our" a few time because this may differ between models... ;-) )...

I should point out that we were still able to use our porch awning and tarp' etc, with the Omnistor...but it meant using the existing awning groove that was located on the inside of the outer rail..and this meant having it "unlatched"(..I used a couple of small luggage straps around the ends of the awning body, to help keep it secure and in place).

(Oh!..and I agree with Eddie about drive-aways...ours got sold, unused... :$ )

If still in the process of deciding, have a look at the Fiammi Zip. It has zip's down both sides. If you decide you want to attach a Safari room, or even part of it (Just the sides) it is very easy and quick to attach. We have one, though don't use it much, but has been used by our son's as an extra Tent overflow, and can be worth having if you stay put much.especially in UK

PJay

Guest JudgeMental
Billggski - 2014-04-03 10:00 AM

It's perhaps significant the number of awnings and safari tents on eBay that are advertised as "used once".

Of course it is......how much room do a couple need, weather changes, you move inside your van. I did buy the lightweight mesh side panels for our awning ( can't remember name but they are popular) just to deal with the winds in Spain.......along with their tie down kit.

Guest pelmetman

Point of order re Pepe's post on fitting a separate awning rail beneath the Fiamma wind out, is there any reason not to use the channel that's already built into the Fiamma front rail? :-S......

Re awnings in general, we have two, and use them both dependent on the style of camping we are embarked on at the time ;-) ..................

When in general touring mode we just use the Fiamma with Windblockers............

When pitching up for weeks on end we use the heavy duty driveaway..........

Having a "flexible option" is my mantra your Lordship :D..........

Hi Dave...

At the time the little awning we used(and indeed, the tarp we still use), really required a decent amount of tension on them...and the latching mechanisms on these wind-out canopies just aren't designed to take such "welly"

(..they're only designed to keep the things shut..).

The existing grooves on these wind-outs are only really meant to carry the vertical panels of their Privacy/Safari rooms/blocker panels...

Sure, they're fine for lipping a freestanding drive-away to..and I dare say, you could get away slipping a small, lightweight porch into them...but it's not something I'd want to do, not if I wanted the plastic latching mechanisms to last....

Another thing to consider is that on a vertically sided CB,these grooves stand out 3",maybe more, from the side of the van, so if you hang an awning directly from them,you'll end up with a gap down the van wall....and that gets a lot bigger if you need to use a 4mm-6mm ( ? )adapter webbing & fig of 8 section, as is sometimes the case with the *Fiammas....

(*the groove on "our" Fiamma was too small to take a "standard" 6mm awning bead..)

I agree whole heartedly about having the options to be "flexible"...there seems little point in having a set-up that will only really work in one configuration or that dictates which way around and/or where you can pitch....

Back in the mists of time when we had a 1970 VW camper we purchased a stand alone awning but as it took so much room inside the van, took so much time getting it put up took so much effort parking within a few inches each time we moved the van it ended up "stored" in the shed. Finally sold it but kept the ground sheet. :-S

There's good advice in this thread and, given your style of motorhoming, I agree that a wind out and a flexible approach to using it will serve best.

We have a lightweight porch awning (cost £70 at a show) which works a treat in rainy UK and it simply slips into the grove under the Omnistor and has only one sectional glassfibre pole. It still takes half an hour to peg the thing down but when we are expecting rain it's worth the effort. It's big enough for a couple of chairs and a small table and that's enough - it's mainly a lobby to park your wet things in.

We also have a windblocker front which we are still getting the hang of for sunny climates and we'll probably buy a single side piece of the same type this year. because thesun always seems to be able to shine round the end of just the awning+front configuration. I'm not completely convinced about windblockers at all yet but the OH is keen.

Wind-outs need tying down if they are to be left up overnight but that is easy enough to do too - except that I wouldn't leave ours out if its really windy anyway. More often than not we will simply wind it back in overnight and the wind-out on its own works well for us because we rarely stay in one place for an extended period. A curved centre support beam works a treat to stop rain puddling and I always use that.

We had a safari room once but never again - far more trouble than worth, certainly for us.

Guest JudgeMental
Zydeco Joe - 2014-04-03 12:40 PM

Back in the mists of time when we had a 1970 VW camper we purchased a stand alone awning but as it took so much room inside the van, took so much time getting it put up took so much effort parking within a few inches each time we moved the van it ended up "stored" in the shed. Finally sold it but kept the ground sheet. :-S

I spent a fortune on a quality Westfalia branded awning to go with our VW T3 Westfalia, needed the extra space as we had young kids, and made good use of it...But a couple in a 7.5 meter van...I have to ask why? :D

JudgeMental - 2014-04-03 12:57 PM

.... needed the extra space as we had young kids, and made good use of it...But a couple in a 7.5 meter van...I have to ask why? :D

That's the question we asked ourselves on umpteen occasions...as it wasn't unusual for me to find myself spending more time faffin' about guying out canopies,tarps,shelters etc, than I did when we were tenting! (lol)

.........although instead of ditching all the paraphernalia, we ended up ditching the 7Mtr MH ... *-) (lol)

We have a 'Wind out' Omnistor, handy for standing under towelling the dogs dry, also a dry place for putting on/off boots, feeding the dogs under when raining. Indeed we would find it hard to manage without one, never wanted a freestanding one, never felt the need, But a 'Wind out' awning is on my 'Must Have' extras list when looking at a new van.

All the usual 'Do Nots' apply of course, even if only deployed for 10 mins, I ALWAYS guy rope it down, and take it down if the wind gets too strong. Seen too many 'Over the top of the van' and destroyed. Still the best solution for us though. Ray

JudgeMental - 2014-04-03 12:57 PM

I spent a fortune on a quality Westfalia branded awning to go with our VW T3 Westfalia, needed the extra space as we had young kids, and made good use of it...But a couple in a 7.5 meter van...I have to ask why? :D

A very reasonable question Eddie, I suffer terribly from cabin fever when the weather turns and just HAVE to get outside of the van after an hour or so.

Of course I can get my waterproof gear on etc and walk but just being able to sit 'outside' and be sheltered is a big issue for me.

It's not a space thing, it's a trapped thing.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2014-04-03 2:41 PM

... I suffer terribly from cabin fever when the weather turns and just HAVE to get outside of the van after an hour or so.

Of course I can get my waterproof gear on etc and walk but just being able to sit 'outside' and be sheltered is a big issue for me.

It's not a space thing, it's a trapped thing.

Martyn

I can understand that....

I even try(tried) to cook outside when ever possible(..I've sat outside under a brolly, cooking breakfast on a "suitcase stove" on more than one occasion.. (lol))

But I think, for us, we perhaps switched to MHs to early...as at heart, we are really "Campervanners" :-D

Edit:

Admittedly it's not an awning(..and it's something that would require an awning rail of sorts to attach anyway)..but this following idea is something that may offer a "half way house" option, if used along with an existing storage/utility tent(..in so much as you can have the door open when it's raining ..)?

http://www.firwoodleisure.co.uk/caravan_door_canopy.html

...and failing that..pub!

Guest JudgeMental

Yeah..I don't think Thornber is drinking enough :-D

prefer cooking outdoors as well, and have many time under the wind out in the rain

have a look at link I posted to those side panels and front if you wish, they get good reviews, are lightweight and not plastic so heat build up not an issue...

Thanks for all the comments, I'm more informed in 7 or 8 hours about awnings than in 15 years of van ownership.

Looks like a wind out it is. A rail attachment on the awning looks like a winner too so flexibility is available.

Sincere thanks from myself and Lady Thornber 8-)

Martyn

One of the things I hated about caravaning was putting up and taking down that dreaded awning, I cant sit outside the van in the sun without a shade so the rollout awning is ideal for us easy to roll out and put away again. We had ours fitted on this van as one of the options its a Thule, we had a Fiama 45f fitted to the last one and bought a slide in front panel, we also bought the side panel but gave that with the van when we sold it as it was too heavy and unnecessary, the front panel fits the Thule and it is plastic netting so we have a view, if on a site we can leave the awning out with this front panel pegged down and a storm guy over the top.

Its a case of we all have different needs and what suits one isnt necessarily going to suit someone else.

maggyd - 2014-04-03 7:55 PM

Its a case of we all have different needs and what suits one isnt necessarily going to suit someone else.

Maggy, I included that 'disclaimer' in the op. I've found through experience it's the best way to get the best results to a question, and it did I'm happy to say.

This Forum at its best is a great resource :-D

Martyn

Archived