Awnings, your views please.

LordThornber

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2014-04-03 12:54 PM

We also have a windblocker front which we are still getting the hang of for sunny climates and we'll probably buy a single side piece of the same type this year. because thesun always seems to be able to shine round the end of just the awning+front configuration. I'm not completely convinced about windblockers at all yet but the OH is keen.

We have the full set, initially with just a 3/4 front section that left a door opening, it was surprising just how much draft came in through the door 8-)..............So I had a new overlapping front made which improved the situation no end, especially when we happened to pitch by a mozzy infested river *-)........

DSCN2109web.jpg.e74fecae285179899b7401afefbf0e82.jpg

P1000437web.jpg.efb805617884d20a8e7d3e9c0d10655b.jpg

P1000223web.jpg.b647192c089cd8480f4a3fed29690fae.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's quite an outfit of options you've got there Pelmetman, and I suppose it's what we're heading towards, after various unsuccessful permutations of other stuff along the way. Light and flexible.

My OH would go for that "mossie-proof enclosure" and we both want a proper windbreak with top poles because the standard ones are so floppy or need such eleaborate guy roping..

After our unimpressive safari room, I'm cynical about the wind (or mossie) proofness of anything constructed from panels dangling from a wind-out awning but they do seem to have improved the "foldover corners" aspects of the design, so in a light to moderate breeze they should stand up well enough. I'm not that keen on creating too much of an enclosure when the whole idea of motorhoming is t put yourslef among the outdoors but somewhere along this spectrum of options there is a sensible level to suit everyone. Hopefully a front panel and a single side panel will work for us. I dont really fancy anything too elaborate as an erection, if you see what I mean.

I'm blessed with an OH who is considerably more attractive to mossies than I am, so I'm content to sit out alongside her anyway and dab cream on the ankles as necessary. We discovered some enormous citronella candles in Italy which work well if placed at ground level, to fumigate the ankle region, so that's a worthwhile tip to pass on. Silly little nightlight-sized candles just aren't in the same deterent league.

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2014-04-04 10:21 AM

That's quite an outfit of options you've got there Pelmetman,

Nah that ain't nuffink :D..................I follow the Top Gear "Hamster's" (Richard Hammond) school of thought with regard to flexible campervanning ;-).........................Besides there's not enough room in the camper for the chandelier B-)......

1-P1000304.JPG.e5f2990b599e2ffd368eec209c7c3c0d.JPG

1-P1000308.JPG.477edd4989c00fd46a6916bd190a460e.JPG

Guest JudgeMental
LordThornber - 2014-04-04 2:33 PM

Bloody pitch hogger.... :D :D :D :D

Martyn

Thats one name for it..........Nutter is another :-D

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2014-04-04 4:23 PM

Martyn

Do I detect chandelier envy? :D.......

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2014-04-04 4:15 PM

macclad - 2014-04-04 4:02 PM

Can you tell me where you got the windbreakers from thanks Colin.

By the looks of Dave's set up, maybe "Get off My Pitch.com"... or... "Dog runs r us" may be worth a look! :D :D

Forgot this option ;-).............with the trailer backed into the awning making a useful cooking and storage area :D...........or granny annex (lol)........

1-P1000493.JPG.f7fb11d312eead67e81c2ebfc710acc5.JPG

Guest JudgeMental
pelmetman - 2014-04-04 4:39 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-04-04 4:23 PM

Martyn

Do I detect chandelier envy? :D.......

OH! Yes Dave yes!

(Come on folks humour him :D)

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2014-04-04 4:31 PM

"Nah that ain't nuffink .."

Where's the candelabra for the dining table? :-D

Elf and safety ;-)...............

Blimey Dave!....

...When you're "setting up", do all the kiddies on site get really excited...only to be really disappointed, when they find out that you're not actually the circus?... :D

We've been to some music festivals that have had less standing structures than that! (lol)

Guest JudgeMental

Now Pepe that is funny! well done that man.....haven't laughed so much in ages :-D

Dave... PM me me your address and ill send you the CD plus a red nose..hate to disappoint all those kids! :-D

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2014-04-04 6:21 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-04-04 6:09 PM

Now that, IS funny! (lol) (lol) (lol)

You may mock *-)......................but I might soon be appearing at a CC pitch near you >:-)...........complete with charcoal bbq and dog's ;-)..................

LordThornber - 2014-04-03 9:01 AM

It's fast approaching the time to sign on the dotted line for the next van.

Accepting 100% that we all camp differently, Mel B's recent thread on awning removal (or not), prompts this really.

We know almost buggerall about awnings.

The inflatable drive away ones new to the market have some appeal.

We largely use sites, rarely stay anywhere for anything less than 3 nights, apart from journey breaks, so on the face of it a 4 metre awning seems the way to go.

In the past we've taken a free standing oversized loo tent for shoving bikes, loungers etc in and used for shelter from an odd summer shower but an awning has always appealed.

Your thoughts, alternatives, usual insults, very much welcome please :D

Martyn

What you haven't said, Martyn, is where, and when, you use your van. Windouts have a problem, in that they are very sensitive to wind. The risk of damage has been mentioned, but there is also noise as the thing flaps in a breeze. If you use you van mainly in UK, I would say consider something more akin to a gazebo, with walls that can be zipped in/out to suit. Not the garden kind: there are some very quickly erected versions that have reasonably lightweight frames so are not too heavy to handle. They can be guyed down securely and do not attach to the van, so transmit no noise at night if the wind strengthens/changes direction. Should you wish to drive away the gazebo can stay behind to indicate you pitch is in use, and because they do not attach, there is nothing to dismantle first.

Guest pelmetman
Pampam - 2014-04-04 6:41 PM

Just up my street what sort of van is that please? Pp

I believe you refer to Horace Pp ;-)......................He is a 1990 Transit based Travelhome built by the now defunct Autohomes company ;-)...............and much to the annoyance of some.......... is not a unreliable dated rust bucket >:-).................but a comfortable economical and cheap to maintain coachbuilt motorhome, that will still fit in a supermarket parking bay, and travel to Southern Spain regularly without drama B-)...............

In short a classic camper............and occasionally low mileage examples do appear on ebay, a recent 38k example offered for 5k unsurprisingly sold in a flash ;-).....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-BERTH-FORD-TRANSIT-DIESEL-MOTOR-HOME-CAMPER-38K-MILES-FULL-MOT-/201066299215?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STR

Brian Kirby - 2014-04-04 7:24 PM

Martyn

What you haven't said, Martyn, is where, and when, you use your van. Windouts have a problem, in that they are very sensitive to wind. The risk of damage has been mentioned, but there is also noise as the thing flaps in a breeze. If you use you van mainly in UK, I would say consider something more akin to a gazebo, with walls that can be zipped in/out to suit. Not the garden kind: there are some very quickly erected versions that have reasonably lightweight frames so are not too heavy to handle. They can be guyed down securely and do not attach to the van, so transmit no noise at night if the wind strengthens/changes direction. Should you wish to drive away the gazebo can stay behind to indicate you pitch is in use, and because they do not attach, there is nothing to dismantle first.

Fair comments on the usage Brian, to be truthful, a very mixed bag. At present a real mixed bag which is why I didn't allude to a specific 'type'.

Longer term, I.e. during this vans ownership, we expect to be spending longer stretches in it, but it's not a given, hence the vaguely ranging nature of the op.

I think the wind out plus flexibility ticks most boxes at this time, however I stand to he corrected so said the person in orthopaedic shoes :D :D

Martyn

pelmetman - 2014-04-04 4:42 PM

Forgot this option ;-).............with the trailer backed into the awning making a useful cooking and storage area :D...........or granny annex (lol)........

On another thread Dave you were complaining that other people take short cuts through your ' patch '

Now I can see why.

They haven't got much alternative.

;-)

Just to add to the end of the thread.

We have a Fiamma F45S awning and I was dead against any form of added material to the wind out.

However, two winters in Spain later and a very hot summer we have gone down the seasonal solution approach.

Summer: Fiamma Blocker Pro single sheet attached to the front of the awning and Sun View Side which can be attached either side depending on the sun and wind direction. These are both pretty light and easily stored plus quickly removable if necessary.Bought both at one of the shows at a good discount and no P&P. Flooring is interlocking tiles, no tie down.

Winter: Just invested (via EBay) in a Fiamma Privacy Room Light (do I hear groans?). 2013 version (used once for 2 weeks the seller said) is much lighter and simpler than the old monster and it uses the same awning box fittings for the new invention of Fast Clips. I am pretty tall so don't envisage any issues attaching the side panels up to the awning box. Bungee cables provided for junction with the van - clever arrangement.

At 15.4 Kg this new version is over 10 Kg lighter than the older version (which is still available). Check out that weight against the drive aways or other makes with poles etc. Plus we know that the door will open properly and not scrap the material. Flooring is new Fiamma Patio Mat (also lighter) and Fiamma Tie Down S - the garish yellow version which I should not fall over on nocturnal trips to ablutions.

I too get cabin fever on a wet Spanish day and so the Privacy Room Light is the current solution. Plus you can leave items out each night. The tie down slots into the second groove in the F45S awning front rail.

Having seen all sorts of arrangments in the winter from the Kampa awnings to "lash ups" we decided to use what is already bolted to the MH as the roof and not incur any further weight/storage penalties.

Off to try the Privacy Room out over the Easter break - hope we like it :-D

Archived