Battery Liquid Level.

Ninian

Hi, I want to check the level in the van battery but there is a large plate on the positive side covering a few of the cells, if disconnecting the battery should there be a sequence first + then - or vice versa. Am I likely to inherit any problems by doing this. My battery never seems to read above 12.5 volts when on charge. it will initially read higher but always falls back to 12.5v. ??????? Thanks.

On some vehicles where the battery is located under the bonnet it is a very tight fit and heavy.

Getting it out is not easy, but getting it back requires strength and dexterity

On these vehicles, if the fluid is good on the first few cells (use mirror and torch) then generally the others will be the same levels.

On the vehicles where the battery is under the Passengers feet it is easy to access the cells.

In both cases remove the Negative lead first and tie it out of the way so it can't spring back to touch the battery post.

It is worth regular checking of the Starter battery levels (where they are not maintenance free), as we are seeing more than usual that have dropped fluid levels. We suspect from long term EHU connection and/or Solar.

See our webpage on battery safety : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/inverters.php

I would suggest a battery down to 12.5v on a regular basis is one that is dying and liable to sudden failure. That may put the habitation electrics at risk if the Starter Motor tries to use the Habitation batteries to 'assist' it.

Suggest that if the battery is a few years old, especially if it is an aftermarket option, you think about replacing it, likely to save grief in the longer run.

Fitting the 100% maintenance free, zero fluid loss, Varta LFD90 is a long term trouble free option.

They are cheaper than most OEM Starter batteries, but even better quality and more suited to Motorhome use.

My starter battery has a large plate on the positive terminal covering the access to the plugs through which you might check the electrolyte levels.  But the battery is a low maintenance type, so it is not necessaery to check the levels routinely.  My original starter battery failed suddenly after about seven years and when i took it out the levels were OK; the failure was due to something else.

I shouldn't worry about checking the electrolyte levels on a modern maintenance-free battery unless there is a special reason to do so - in which case you would probably need to remove the battery in order to do so properly.  Fortunately, on a Ducato, that's not too difficult to do.

Sorry wrong link posted above to safety Instructions for checking fluid levels, correct one here : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-safety.php

Stuart few Starter batteries are true maintenance free, most are low maintenance based on Car battery type use which is very different to Motorhome use.

Motorhome batteries are often allowed to drop to much lower voltages when rested for a few weeks. Also some are left on permanent charge which can dry them out. This results in low maintenance batteries becoming 'normal' maintenance batteries.

The only true maintenance free dual purpose Starter batteries, with zero fluid loss, we know on the market are the Bosch L series and Varta LFD.

AGM or gel batteries cannot have their electrolyte ‘topped up'..

Wet-acid batteries that not designed to be maintained (eg. Varta’s LFD90) cannot have their electrolyte topped up without surgery being performed on the battery first. This type of battery is essentilly disposable and, should it fail, a replacement will be nedeed.

Wet-acid batteries marketed as ‘low maintenance’ can have their electrolyte topped up by removing their cell-caps, but (as Allan says) doing this may sometimes prove tricky.

Accessing the ‘maintainable’ original Fiamm starter-battery of a 2006-onwards Citroen Relay, Fiat Ducato or Peugeot Boxer X250 should be straightforward, as the battery is housed in a lidded compartment in the left part of the cab floor. However, as Ninian says in his enquiry (his Dakota is 2014 vintage) some of the battery’s cell-caps are masked by a ‘plate’ bolted to the battery’s positive terminal (and possibly by a metal retention ‘clamp’ too). This battery may be classed as ‘low maintenance’ (ie. might never require topping up in normal use) but it is definitely not ‘maintenance free’.

Checking/topping-up the electrolyte-level of a recent-model Ducato is mentioned here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Battery-advice-again-/46040/

To check each cell would require removal of the ‘plate’ and (possibly) the retention-clamp, but those actions should be easy enough. Removing the ‘plate’ (or disconnecting the clamp on the battery’s negative terminal) will cause any transitory information that’s held in devices powered by the batteries to be lost - clock settings and radio anti-theft codes for example. Resetting such values should be possible by the vehicle’s owner as long as he/she has the relevant code(s).

Derek, Gel batteries are rarely used as Starter batteries, as the technology is not generally suited.

AGM batteries are also rarely fitted as Starter batteries in Motorhomes.

If Gel batteries were used they would also dry out and become disposable.

It is not true that Gel and AGM don't lose fluid, they do gas.

Despite being referred to as 'Sealed' they are not. They operate under pressure with a vent, which will, and is designed, to leak off excess Hydrogen and Oxygen.

Gel and AGM batteries are more prone to fluid loss than the Varta LFD90, especially under stress and higher temperatures, so actually more disposable than a Varta LFD.

Not sure if you realised that, but your reply reads a bit like the other way around?

I didn’t say anything about the use of gel or AGM batteries as vehicle starter batteries - I just said "AGM or gel batteries cannot have their electrolyte ‘topped up’...” Is that wrong?

And, of course, being non-maintainable, gel and AGM batteries must be considered ‘disposable’.

“More disposable” is tautological. A gel or AGM battery will need to be replaced if it fails and so will a Varta LFD90.

(I’m not thick you know ;-) )

Derek, Apologies. I think you know I have great respect for both your extensive knowledge and amazing willingness to hep everyone. :$

It was my intention, obviously a bit clumsy, to just clarify that the Varta is more likely to survive situations where all other batteries are more likely to dry out.

You should know by know I try and build a reply that will cover the Technical abilities of any readers, but I find it difficult to then not sound patronising, sorry.

We cut an LFD90 open in the Summer, from a Motorhome that was permanently 'lived in' and although the battery had expired after over 700 cycles use, had lost no fluid.

Almost zero corrosion on the grids as well, just like the adverts say.

The Owner lives in Spain during the Winter and drives to the UK for the Summer, so the two batteries were supplying all the evening needs for TV, etc and charged during the day on Solar, 365 days a year.

Archived