Cushions In or Cushions Out

niktam

We don't use our MH over winter and it does not enjoy mains electricity (for a electric dehumidifier) just three of the 360 degree dehumidifier devices which work well. The question is from the title do you/would you leave all the cushions in place in the MH over the winter? Or at least position them so there is an air circulation space behind them all of the cushions so they are not tight to the MH sides? Tip some up etc?

We learnt our lesson with the drop down bed this is now left clear of the ceiling if not you end up with black mould on the top if left for 4 months tight to the ceiling.

Hi. Whilst we tend to use over winter periodically if leaving unused for extended period then I take cushions indoors.

Also, if we are away in very cold weather for any period the mattress can get damp where it is next to an outside wall so again in they come.

Peter

colin - 2021-11-27 5:04 PM

We leave the mattress and cushions in a position such that air can circulate all around them, if you think about it the cab seats are left like this. ;-)

Good point so I've left all the cushions in the MH and away from the sides. With vent gaps all around the cushions see how that goes!

There's plenty of online advice about over-wintering a motorhome/caravan. These are two examples

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/articles/practical-advice/preparing-your-campervan-and-motorhome-for-winter

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/helpandadvice/technicalhelp/datasheets/motorhome-winter-care-storage/

and there are more 'tips' here

https://tinyurl.com/33wff3j9

Our three motorhomes have remained unused from November through mid-March and I've always taken out all removable soft furnishings and stored them in my house. This has been straightforward enough as the vehicles have been parked close to the house, though getting the Rapido's uncooperative large single-piece Bultex-foam mattress out of the motorhome and into an upstairs bedroom (and back again later) is definitely a 2-person much-swearing task, with the mattress having no 'handles' to help.

We normaly overwinter is Spain etc but not this winter so ALL soft furnishings are now in the bungalow as are all our clothes and food stuffs [ Dry ] that we would normaly leave in our van for quick getaways, we usually have a good stock of canned goods in the van to, all these have been removed too, a good time to check all the use by dates on everything too, why take chances if you do not need to ?? My van is on hook up in the garden too so I can switch on a fan heater or electric rad if needs be. We had snow here in sunny Southampton over night a white layer all over this morning but suns out now and all is melting.

Archived