Davanti Tyres

Roryboy

First time I hear about them and I've heard of some very obscure ones.

BTW the EU tyre label test is self administered. Nobody checks if what they say is actually true. I remember a few years ago our police got stuck with some cheap chinese crap because the tyres did technically have the correct EU rating they asked for but a comparison review by some magazine clearly showed they were nowhere near as decent as any of the more established brands. I'm not saying everyone should only buy the big 6 but their second tier brands are often just as good. Certainly much better than low budget offerings either from China or third tier brands owned by the big ones.

I would echo Spirou's thoughts on EU ratings. My car has full profile tyres, which significantly limits my options as these are mostly only produced now for vans. Having used Hankooks for some years, I changed last year to Maxxis as they were rated two or three points higher for grip. I have now reverted to the lower rated Hankooks as in practice the Maxxis offered noticeably poorer grip.

Even if the self-administered EU tyre ratings have been produced honestly they still only represent the performance on a smooth concrete roller.Like others above I've found the real world performance, road noise and wet grip in particular, to be so different from the published ratings that they are simply best ignored.

This advert is for a 215/70 R15C Hankook Vantra LT RA18 tyre

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Tyres/Hankook/Vantra-LT-RA18/215-70-R15C-109-107S-8PR-SBL/R-213740

and it will be seen that its EU labelling is E/C/70dB

In 2013 - when the German magazine “Promobil” exhaustively tested six tyres in that size using Ducato vans - the Korean-made Hankook Vantra tyre scored substantially highest, particularly on wet road surfaces. The tyre that scored worst was Italian-made, and the least expensive (Chinese-made) tyre scored higher than two Michelin tyres and a Continental tyre.

Out of curiosity I checked the EU labelling for each tyre to see if there was a clear correlation between the label data and the test results (eg. did a tyre with a “B” wet-grip datum score really well when tested on a wet road surface) and there was not.

Thanks for the replies.

I was undecided whether to fit the Davanti or Hankook tyres and I'll see what prices my local tyre supplier comes up with.

Unless there's a big difference in price I think I'll probably go for the more well known Hankook.

:-D

Roryboy owns a 2013 Pilote Pacific P716P Reference motorhome and (as he said in his March 2019 enquiry here)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Hankook-tyres-/51637/

the vehicle’s tyres have the commonplace-for-Ducatos 215/70 R15 specification.

The Pilote would originally have had Continental VancoCamper ‘camping-car' tyres and, unless the vehicle has covered a lot of miles, probably still has these on all four wheels.

This website has 55 entries for 215/70 R15C tyres

https://tinyurl.com/qmqnaxb

with prices ranging from £55.50 to £171.30

A Davanti DX440 tyre in 215/70 Ri5C size seemingly costs around £80, and an equivalent size Hankook Vantra LT RA18 tyre can be obtained for a similar price. When the Hankook tyre was independently tested in 2013, it performed better than three much more expensive premium-brand tyres, but (to the best of my knowledge) no similar testing has included Davanti DX440 tyres.

If cost takes precedence over eveything else, why not buy Goodride H188 tyres at £56? But if two tyres are obtainable for roughly the same price (as appears to be the case with the Davanti and Hankook tyres) but one has proved itself when independently tested and the other’s real-world performance is an unknown quantity, why choose the latter tyre?

(I also note that Hankook RA18 tyres are widely advertised, but adverts for Davanti DX440 tyres are much rarer. This suggests that, should a DX440 tyre be damaged beyond repair, obtaining a matching replacement may be difficult.)

The choice of tyres comes up often on this forum, and is among your most important decisions, being the only contact with the road, affecting cornering, braking and driving in poor conditions.

Continental camping tyres, designed for the unique conditions of long periods of standing in one position, then carrying heavy, often badly distributed, loads, presently cost £107 at Blackcircles, and I've bought them cheaper by phoning around.

So for a difference of about the cost of a tankful of diesel, you can have peace of mind that you've done the best for your family's safety for thousands of miles. Or taken the risk on tyres designed for a totally different situation.

That may be true in many cases, but - if you look at the forum-thread link I provided in my last posting above - you’ll see that the weighbridge-measured axle loadings of Roryboy’s Pilote motorhome and the tyre-pressures he is using are well below those that ‘camping-car’ tyres are designed for.

The 2013 Promobil test used a front and rear tyre-pressure of 4.0 bar even for the Continental and Michelin CP-marked tyres included in the test, whereas Roryboy uses 3.5 bar (front) and 4.2 bar (rear). Those pressures are within the recommended pressure-range for light-commercial-vehicle 215/70 R15C tyres, so safety should not be an issue if he chooses a C-marked tyre rather than a CP-marked one.

Tyres are always a difficult question and I can understand why people often revert to the well known brands to avoid any risks. Inevitably there are good options out there but there can be reticence to buying little known names such as Hankook and Davanti. As a car racer, i've known about Hankook for years as they supply tyres to a few race series. I chose Hankooks for my last van on the basis of this, on cost and the tyre performance tests - particularly for good wet weather performance. Certainly no complaints - they have worn well, noise levels are good and grip wet or dry is excellent.

I live within a mile range of half a dozen tyre depots and, despite the rain, I've been to a few this morning to price up the Hankook tyres.

Local Independent Garage - £98 fitted

National Tyres - £129 fitted

ATS Tyres - £119 fitted

Still some more to check for prices.

8-)

I have been doing a lot of miles in my Berlingo van and have got through a few different makes of tyres over the last four years. I had a set of Hankooks put on about three years ago purely because I needed the van sorting straight away and that was all they had in stock.

I haven't replaced them with Hankooks and wouldn't recommend them to others. They are last on the list of those I have used for longevity and were no better on mud than the other makes. Kleber are the only brand I will now buy for the van and intend to fit them to the camping-car next year.

Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a couple of Hankook tyres fitted this morning at £90 each by a local Tyre dealer.

Drove onto the forecourt, went in the Office and watched a few minutes of Homes under the Hammer and ten minutes later I was on my way.

Job done.

Thanks for your input.

:-D

Archived