Decided to sell my motorhome.

Malo37

Sold ours on Ebay.

Got offers from a couple of dealers to ascertain it's trade in value, added £7000 dealer markup (30% selling price) and worked out an acceptable price of roughly halfway between Dealer in & Dealer out that I wanted.

Got a few pi**ocks but overall a significant number of viewers. -got £300 over my anticipated price so happy at result. Sold in 5 days but it was beginning of season so perhaps timing helps.

Mike

Malo37 - 2017-09-30 8:29 AM

Hi, have decided to sell our motorhome and do something different.

Hi M,

What does 'something different' mean. If it translates to you buying a caravan then we won't let you sell your MH, simple as!

All the best,

Andrew :D

Bop - 2017-09-30 8:56 PM

Malo37 - 2017-09-30 8:29 AM

Hi, have decided to sell our motorhome and do something different.

Hi M,

What does 'something different' mean. If it translates to you buying a caravan then we won't let you sell your MH, simple as!

All the best,

Andrew :D

That's what we did Andrew! Don't you want to speak to me any more?

Mike

Sold my mum’s old campervan on EBay (dealer offered £50 scrap value, it sold for £1,500) and I bought our current van the same way. If you’re selling on EBay then it’s worth studying a few other ads to see what works. Certainly lots of photos and lots of information with a good visual layout helps. Also though close down any time wasters. The vendor of my van refused to agree a price with anyone who had not first viewed the van. When I sold my mum’s van I insisted that once a price was agreed a 10% non returnable deposit had to be paid within 24hrs otherwise the deal was off. Likewise, I insisted that the balance of payment and van collection took place within 10 days otherwise the deposit was lost. And finally, the price agreed was the price paid – ie no last minute haggling. You’ll still get idiot offers or people attempting to be clever but then that’s just the way our species swings.

We recently sold our van via a dealer brokerage scheme.

It took a while to get the right price but the advantages were that we got a very good price, the payment was guaranteed and any come back (not that there was any!) would be with the dealer and not me.

Use only a known and trusted dealer and beware of cowboy operators and 'agencies' not all of whom are, so I gather, not what they seem.

Tracker - 2017-10-01 6:10 PM

You could try looking at Apollo Duck or other boat sales websites with possible m/h p/x opportunities?

I miss my van and I still hanker for another boat!!

Are you 'vanless' now then or have you replaced it with another van or gone over to the 'dark side' like us?

Surprisingly a lot of people we know have changed recently-is it an age thing or just the fact Motorhomes seem to have rocketed in price recently and priced themselves out of a certain market?

Be interested to know about this-sorry to go off topic but is connected!

Mike

Mike B. - 2017-10-01 8:49 PM

You could try looking at Apollo Duck or other boat sales websites with possible m/h p/x opportunities?

Are you 'vanless' now then or have you replaced it with another van or gone over to the 'dark side' like us?

Surprisingly a lot of people we know have changed recently-is it an age thing or just the fact Motorhomes seem to have rocketed in price recently and priced themselves out of a certain market?

Mike

We are vanless after some fifty years, but it has nothing to do with age, it's health issues that make uninsurable overseas travel far less attractive than it used to be and having had the non site freedom of much of mainland Europe we really don't fancy the restrictions of the UK. So at the moment it's hotels, b&bs and self catering for us UK only - so far!

Motorhome price is not the issue for us but as our perception of current levels of build quality, reliability, iffy warranties and dealer attitude in general certainly are, we would much rather let some other poor soul enjoy the early years of a van as we would only ever buy second hand.

Having spent many years semi commercial sea fishing I still miss the sea but doubt I have the strength to cope with it now especially if things went wrong as they have a habit of doing at sea.

We have had boats on the rivers and although it ain't the same I still fancy a boat on the Severn (manned locks!) or Avon, but it's un-manned locks would be a dis-incentive for us.

The trouble with rivers is they don't change much and can get a bit repetitive after a while, but then again at least on the rivers the floor stays level!!

Decisions, decisions!!!

Hi folks,

Have to admit that health issues and age are catching up with us, and better half unwilling to agree to crossing the channel again just in case something does go horribly wrong.

she is desireous of concentrating on uk destinations in preference, but that leads to smaller roads eg Devon, and not really suitable for Stargazer size vehicle.

We visited local dealership to look at campervans, as we once years ago had a v2 t2, but wonder if it might be an option going back to something like that.

on board toilet facility is prime requirement, but didnt seem very likely to find in campervans, so cant decide yet. Asked for valuation of Stargazer, and insurance figure quoted..

so if anyone came up with an offer in the region of figure quoted we could be tempted.

pm me if interested.

tonyg3bwl.

We tried a Warwick Duo and it worked well enough but after a coachbuilt we found it cramped and claustrophobic.

We then changed to an A/S Executive which was the same length at 6.00 metres and only marginally wider and taller but in a different world inside, with decent width beds with room to get out in the night, usable loo / washroom, wider aisle , more storage, easier to use kitchen, no sliding door that needs monumental strength to shut when facing uphill and virtually no penalty in driving enjoyment.

My Burstner Aerovan now advertised on Gumtree and Caravan finder.

No sale yet so may also look elsewhere. Some of the sites are off-putting as they require a really detailed information for registration which I don't like..

Malo37 - 2017-10-05 11:09 AM

My Burstner Aerovan now advertised on Gumtree and Caravan finder.

No sale yet so may also look elsewhere. Some of the sites are off-putting as they require a really detailed information for registration which I don't like..

Being nosey I had a look on caravan finder. I think there's a typo in respect of the year of registration it reads 2001. May not be yours but it is the only one on there. Lovely van. Good luck with the sale.

Veronica

A good site ADuck " Anchor for another boat" ? I don't believe somebody just said that :-D

keninpalamos - 2017-10-09 4:59 PM

A good site ADuck " Anchor for another boat" ? I don't believe somebody just said that :-D

Ha ha, thanks Ken - a Hanker is a posh and rust free Anchor as used typically by the yellow wellie brigade on their gin palaces - not quite my scene!!

Mike B. - 2017-10-01 8:49 PM

Mike

Reading posts from A/S Kingham owners, the top of the range offering from A/S, i'm staggered at peoples experiences and what they appear prepared to accept. Everything from beds getting jammed, upholstery falling off every time the van turns a corner, to the microwave shelf falling away purely through ineffective screws.

These are £50k vans FGS yet folk seem meekly resigned to 'modifying' and carrying out a variety of 'diy' repairs on a vehicle bought from new.

WHY...........just WHY??? :-S

Here is a post from an owner of a brand new Kingham.

"Took delivery of a new Kingham. Travelled just 150 miles on the clock and guess what? Yep the microwave shelf is falling apart. Off to get it sorted by the dealer in the morning."

Teething problems with new vehicles is one thing, internal fittings falling apart after just 150 miles is quite another. These vans would not last five minutes on the roads in Lithuania.....everything would end up in bits on the floor. That's a very expensive 'delivery van'.

Another unhappy owner.

£50,000 Cons:

***Positioning of day bed when fully fitted with pillows and quilts..... a member (cookie99) on here has a fix for this thank you.

*** Hovering bottom third of bed WHY?? .....fixed this with x3 hard nylon runners / blocks fastened to GDP lower bed frame to eliminate creaking.

*** sliding bench squads infuriating now fixed.

*** Friday afternoon kitchen draw fitting absolutely appalling.... repositioned all draws as they kept jumping off their runners. Now fixed.

***Chome style cupboard catches HELLO NOISE!!! who even thought of that.

*** No reinforcement plate inside wardrobe to support TV. Now fixed

***No light under bed (must eat more carrots) now fixed.

***poor quality floor carpet. Got carpet company to cut bind and press stud better quality carpet. Now fixed

***The total lack of understanding when fitting quality reversing cameras that are a necessity on such a large vehicle , opting for a cheap non reliable Veba product.

***Low quality stainless steel sink and cooker top rust blemishes.

£50,000 ???? Not quite sure what the alternative is just yet, but this is not what Autosleeper should be churning out.

I do have to wonder whether Auto Sleepers recent ownership history firstly with the S.E.A. group and with Marquis to currently as part of the Trigano group and their transition to being run by distant Trigano group accountants has any bearing on the quality control at Willersey?

I would certainly buy an AutoSleeper van again should we ever return to the nomadic lifestyle - but not a new or even a recent one!

I have not been to the factory for a couple of years but the parts dept were knowledgeable and helpful then and technical advice was good, if not as good as they used to be when the Trevelyan family ran the show.

Tracker - 2017-10-09 10:08 PM

I do have to wonder whether Auto Sleepers recent ownership history firstly with the S.E.A. group and with Marquis to currently as part of the Trigano group and their transition to being run by distant Trigano group accountants has any bearing on the quality control at Willersey?

I would certainly buy an AutoSleeper van again should we ever return to the nomadic lifestyle - but not a new or even a recent one!

I have not been to the factory for a couple of years but the parts dept were knowledgeable and helpful then and technical advice was good, if not as good as they used to be when the Trevelyan family ran the show.

I'm not sure that the effects of the Trigano purchase will have found its way to operations yet, so that pleasure is still to come?

hi ,we have done it the other way round,have had a boat and still have a boat on the R Avon [fyi tracker]after 42years but three years ago bought a motorhome because we felt there was a lot of places we hadn't seen,motorhoming is so hassle free with no tides,wind and floods and the comradery is second to none.Can't to get on the Dieppe ferry in april ,the only downside is the boat has to go.

raymarg - 2017-10-09 11:03 PM

hi ,we have done it the other way round,have had a boat and still have a boat on the R Avon [fyi tracker]after 42years but three years ago bought a motorhome because we felt there was a lot of places we hadn't seen,motorhoming is so hassle free with no tides,wind and floods and the comradery is second to none.Can't to get on the Dieppe ferry in april ,the only downside is the boat has to go.

I sold my previous van to a boaty bloke.......but not one of your average canal/river cruiser types! This bloke had gone the whole hog!

Took early retirement then sold up everything. Bought a yacht, sailed the world solo, made numerous Atlantic crossings after meeting a young American woman in Barbados who he married. He had a berth in Netherlands for his yacht and after buying my van, took it over there to 'see some of Europe'.

I asked him if he ever got lonely during his years of solo sailing and he told me he rarely went more than a few days without radio comms from a passing ship.

The van must be back in the UK now as it's listed as taxed/mot'd on DVLA website.

Archived