Diesel in the water tank!

Coplumtree

I think Dave means, you will have to drain it and wash it out with a strong detergent and hot water. Then rinse it out with cold water. I would put a box of washing soda in with the detergent as well. don't run any of the contaminated water through your pipework though.

Guest Peter James

If you take it to a garage presumably they will have to replace everything, because its the only way they can protect themselves from future litigation if someone claims to have been made ill by diesel in the water. Allergic reaction etc.

If it was mine I would just wash it out as best I could, and carry on. If you can take the tank off to agitate it, put a pressure washer in it, so much the better. I never use the tank water for drinking in any case, I carry a separate container for drinking water, and filter it.

The smell will linger for a long time but not for ever. The smell consists of diesel evaporating off, and as there is not an unlimited amount of diesel there it cannot go on for an unlimited time. I get a lungful of diesel fumes every time I fill up, or go out on the road, it hasn't killed me get.

If possible remove tank. Assuming it has some form of screw cap opening flush a few times with hot water / detergent agitating rigorously followed by inverting the tank and high pressure wash with copious amounts of water allowing water to flow quickly from opening.

I would think flushing the tank in situ will take forever as oil will always sit on the surface of the water and redistribute on the tank sides and bottom as you drain out.

As other posters have said don`t introduce any oil into pipework.

I wouldn't mess about with risks to your health or those of unsuspecting folk who might buy the 'van from you at a future date. Right it off as one of life's cock-ups and get it replaced. Might be worth checking out your insurance to see if you have any cover for these sort of accidents.

V

Been there done that! Felt so stupid too.Fortunately I hadn't turned on any taps OR used the loo.I fastened them all down with tape so I couldn't and took the van to a caravan fitter who fitted me with a new tank.Don't try cleaning it, waste of time IMHO.If you have used the taps the whole water system will have to be replaced.Contact your insurance company to see if they will help.

Too much scaremongering going on here methinks. If you want to test the theory of washing it out, get an empty polythene container and put some diesel and water in it and swill it around. Then empty it all out and give it a wash out as I've prevoiusly suggested and see if it still smells of diesel. It depends on how easy it would be to remove the tank. If it's possible, then remove it and clean it and if your not happy then replace it. If it's extremely difficult, then you have no option other than cleaning it. I think it's worth cleaning it, as the alternative is both difficult and expensive.

It's you call really, I know what I'd do.

Dave, I was pointing out that you would need detergent and hot water to remove diesel oil, as cold water would not do the job. So in this instance I'm sorry to say, you are wrong.

rupert123 - 2011-02-28 5:39 PM

I must ask the question I am afraid. Two have said they have done this, just how could you have been so stupid?

The same reason the AA get called out to assit people at petrol stations who fill up with wrong fuel.

All those pumps, nozzles and only one filler cap "

Gets more confusing on a m/home with two filler caps (or three if you have gas)

Rgds

I must ask the question I am afraid. Two have said they have done this, just how could you have been so stupid?

That is one of those things that you are supposed to think, not write, old boy. It's hard to not take offence to questions like that!

Nick

Guest Tracker

It must be so frustrating for poor Rupert being the only person in the world never to make a mistake and thus completely unable to understand us mere mortals who do get it wrong from time to time!

And no I have not put diesel in a water tank - but I know a man who did - result after much cleaning and flushing - new tank!

Guest Tracker

Supertankers are made of steel which is easier to clean than plastic - especially if you can get inside the tank and have a huge budget!

So unless you know of any 8" tall people who can get through a 1.5" filler aperture carrying a high pressure steam cleaner I think you better think it out again!

Tracker - 2011-02-28 7:33 PM

Supertankers are made of steel which is easier to clean than plastic - especially if you can get inside the tank and have a huge budget!

So unless you know of any 8" tall people who can get through a 1.5" filler aperture carrying a high pressure steam cleaner I think you better think it out again!

Wrong again Richard. (1) Food grade Polythene or Polypropylene is inert and does not take up a taint. That's why it's used. (2) Most tanks in modern vans have a hole about 6" Diameter in the top for servicing, so it's easy to get your arm in there to clean it.

For much the same reason you asked the question Rupert. They didn't engage the brain before carrying out the action.

Guest Tracker

Interesting comment Peter - you seem to have some expert knowledge here? In which case please forgive my lack of knowledge on the topic of food grade plastic but your post does raise a thought or two.

In your earlier posting suggesting cleaning with hot water and detergent you made no mention of a plastic water tank allegedly taking no taint which, in theory, suggests that simply rinsing it out with any hot water based detergent solution would do the job?

Taking a taint maybe a subjective issue but I don't doubt that anyone who has had to deal with this problem might doubt the no taint assertion - unless they are not using the right chemical solution to work properly?

Perhaps you could enlighten those who need to know as to the correct method for removing diesel taint from a non taint plastic tank surface please?

The tank may well, or may not, have a 6" hole but that does not mean you can get at the hole to get your arm inside and the last time I tried it on a fresh water tank it was very difficult to reach all eight corners to clean properly - unless I am just a short arm!

I said it does not taint, clever Dick. Not that the oily residue does not stick to the walls. Have you ever tried to remove an oily residue with water only, hot or cold?. That's why you need the detergent to break the surface tension of the oil. Whilst we are on the subject, please explain to me why steel is easier to clean than plastic. In fact the opposite is true, as you can usually use most chemicals and acids on tank plastics. Try that on steel.

Think about it Richard, it will come to you eventually.

smartass.gif.91e2609d39f71af6a974afc07c9f87af.gif

Now then boys ... play nice or you won't get your bedtime cocoa and biscuits! :-D

Tracker - 2011-02-28 9:06 PM

The tank may well, or may not, have a 6" hole but that does not mean you can get at the hole to get your arm inside and the last time I tried it on a fresh water tank it was very difficult to reach all eight corners to clean properly - unless I am just a short arm!

Use a dish-washing brush to get into the corners, or even a toilet brush ... new of course!!! 8-)

euroserv - 2011-02-28 7:10 PM

That is one of those things that you are supposed to think, not write, old boy. It's hard to not take offence to questions like that!

Nick

Your right of course but would still like to know. I can understand accidently putting petrol in a diesel but diesel into a water tank?

Archived