Diesel in the water tank!

Coplumtree

peter - 2011-02-28 9:36 PM

I said it does not taint, clever Dick. Not that the oily residue does not stick to the walls. Have you ever tried to remove an oily residue with water only, hot or cold?. That's why you need the detergent to break the surface tension of the oil. Whilst we are on the subject, please explain to me why steel is easier to clean than plastic. In fact the opposite is true, as you can usually use most chemicals and acids on tank plastics. Try that on steel.

Think about it Richard, it will come to you eventually.

I know you think of yourself as the resident genius but when I worked on oil tankers, a long time ago I admit, we used to do exactly that. Well not quite because it was done with salt water. Oh Rich no one climbs inside them to do it either.

Coplumtree - 2011-02-27 5:26 PM

Help can anyone advise me if and how I can clean out a fresh water tank that we have mistakenly poured a litre of diesel in to. Please don't ask how we made the mistake ...it's just too stupid for words...

Thank you for your help. :-(

I have no personal experience of this method, but I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, and it is very focused on your specific problem.

You may wish to look towards the bottom of this page:

http://www.bioprouk.co.uk/3.html

....where it recommends a means of sorting your exact problem.

Guest Peter James
Robinhood - 2011-02-28 10:58 PM

Coplumtree - 2011-02-27 5:26 PM

Help can anyone advise me if and how I can clean out a fresh water tank that we have mistakenly poured a litre of diesel in to. Please don't ask how we made the mistake ...it's just too stupid for words...

Thank you for your help. :-(

I have no personal experience of this method, but I've seen it mentioned elsewhere, and it is very focused on your specific problem.

You may wish to look towards the bottom of this page:

http://www.bioprouk.co.uk/3.html

....where it recommends a means of sorting your exact problem.

Interesting link, Thanks for posting.

I wondered about Meths to dissolve the diesel.

I would just try that first.

It looks like the job is done before you put the bio magic in

Or am I being to cynical *-)

peter - 2011-02-28 9:36 PM I said it does not taint, clever Dick. Not that the oily residue does not stick to the walls. Have you ever tried to remove an oily residue with water only, hot or cold?. That's why you need the detergent to break the surface tension of the oil. ...............

Don't want to be the pessimist, but there is one major  (and obvious) difference between most food products, and diesel.  Food grade plastics don't taint with the taste of food products, and the taint of the plastic doesn't transfer to the food product stored within.  However, the plastics from which such containers, including water tanks, are made is an oil based product, as is diesel.  I do not know, but with both being oil based products am inclined to think, that the diesel may well penetrate the plastic, or chemically bond to it, in ways that food products would not, and may leave a taint, or at least an odour, even after cleaning.  Be that as it may, I do hope I'm wrong!  :-)

Hi I can understand this mistake happening with the layout of some vehicles. On our Hymer the water and diesel fillers are only a few feet apart on the same side . and of the same type. When we first had it ,I thought of this possibility, you know what I mean, someone else in the family filling up in poor lighting conditions, to reduce this risk I stuck WATER and DIESEL only stickers by the appropriate filler caps. *-)

Brian B.

Guest Tracker

If both fuel and water tanks have locking filler caps and the keys are not keep together or on the same keyring (works for us!) there is no chance whatsoever of putting the wrong liquid in the wrong hole!

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2011-03-01 12:13 AM
peter - 2011-02-28 9:36 PM I said it does not taint, clever Dick. Not that the oily residue does not stick to the walls. Have you ever tried to remove an oily residue with water only, hot or cold?. That's why you need the detergent to break the surface tension of the oil. ...............

Don't want to be the pessimist, but there is one major  (and obvious) difference between most food products, and diesel.  Food grade plastics don't taint with the taste of food products, and the taint of the plastic doesn't transfer to the food product stored within.  However, the plastics from which such containers, including water tanks, are made is an oil based product, as is diesel.  I do not know, but with both being oil based products am inclined to think, that the diesel may well penetrate the plastic, or chemically bond to it, in ways that food products would not, and may leave a taint, or at least an odour, even after cleaning.  Be that as it may, I do hope I'm wrong!  :-)

I wondered about that, but plastic being soft will scratch easily, and the inside of food containers are likely to have surface scratches from cutlery, washing etc. Hopefully the inside of a water tank will never have been scratched with anything, so the surface should still be smooth.

Tracker - 2011-03-01 11:18 AM

....... there is no chance whatsoever of putting the wrong liquid in the wrong hole!

Now that's a dangerous thing to say....

Bet you don't tell us when you do it! :-S

Guest Tracker
Having once put petrol in a diesel car and suffered the cost and inconvenience I am in no rush to make it easy to get anything else wrong!

Archived