Dometic hob not staying alight

peterjl

Hi, we have a DOMETIC

KOMBI 840X436-DF-HI/21-I-2G and one of the hobs will not stay alight.

We have taken it back 3 times but the problem recurs.

The first time taken back they cleaned and it initially worked fine but, within a few hours use it would not stay alight. Depress the switch and it lights but when let go it goes out. Hold up to a minute makes no difference.

The second time they replaced the thermocouple and another part. It worked for a few hours then failed.

The third time they took off the thin metal plate on the top to try and Id the problem and it just worked when they reassembled. After less than 2 hours usage on 4 occasions it failed again.

The supplier is going to have another go however......... I wondered if anybody else had a similar problem or had any ideas on the cause.

I am seeing the workshop manager to discuss but any thoughts would be appreciated

Peter

We have the Dometic 3 burner hob but without integrated sink, basically the same hob.

It occasionally happens to us that one of the burners won't stay alight when you realease the knob. If you can gain access to the underneath of the hob, usually by removing a draw, then try this:

Each burner control unit has a spade connector with wire going to the individual burner. If you wiggle the spade connector you may find the hob now stays alight. Works for us.

Hi, update,

Access to beneath the hob is limited. Directly beneath there is a sliding shelf and then an oven. I took out the shelf and can see the wires you refer to but I cannot get into then, the space is just too small.

I am going back to the dealer for service before the warranty expires so I will discuss with them.

Thanks for the advice.

Peter

peterjl - 2017-04-03 11:55 AM

Hi, update,

Access to beneath the hob is limited. Directly beneath there is a sliding shelf and then an oven. I took out the shelf and can see the wires you refer to but I cannot get into then, the space is just too small.

I am going back to the dealer for service before the warranty expires so I will discuss with them.

Thanks for the advice.

Peter

That's a bit of a bugger. I did think of installing an oven below my hob but decided against it because it would cut off access to the underside of the hob.

Maybe you could cut a small access hatch (with suitable cover) below the sliding shelf for future access to the gas control unit. I know this shouldn't be necessary but these hobs do seem to suffer from this recurring problem, as experienced by others.

Another tip, should the burner flame reduce to a simmer, it's probably a clogged up jet. Remove the 2 screws in the circular top plate using a Torx T6 bit. This gives access to the jet which can be removed and cleaned, preferably with compressed air or blowing with your mouth. Been there, done that 8-)

Not sure if this is relevant to your problem, but this reminds me of a similar issue we had when we picked up our van. We stayed overnight at a site local to the dealership so we could return the next day to sort out any snags.

When we arrived at the site, the first thing my wife did was to put the kettle on but she was unable to get the hob to keep alight. She tried several times before we got the book out. "Hold for 10 seconds before releasing" was in the book.

My wife counted to 10 - still no joy, got the timer out to count exaclty 10 seconds - still nothing, tried 20 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute - still no joy. By this time, even the though the kettle was almost boiling, I decided to try and much to her annoyance, it stayed alight first time!. My wife tried again - still no joy. This sequence was repeated several times and no matter how many times she tried, my wife could not get it to work. This was a bigger problem for me than my wife as I could see myself assigned to all the cooking in future so this had to be sorted PDQ.

The next day we took this up with the dealer and their technician also managed to keep it alight first time. I am not sure if there was more gas in the air or four letter words by this time!.

After a bit more trial and error, we found it was a bit temperamental in how quick you release the knob! My wife tended to just let go of the control knob and the gas would go out whereas I tended to release it more gradually (but only just! - maybe over 1 second?) and it would stay lit. My wife tried this "technique" and now manages to get it working almost every time!

As I said, I am not sure if this has anything to do with your problem and won't do anything if you have a "genuine" fault, but it is easy enough to try.

• 4 years later...

Would just like to say a BIG 'thanks' to Robbo and 747 in this forum chat.

I was going to pay to replace two thermocouples on my dometic hob (3yr old), but after reading this I did what they said, and gave the thermocouple connections at each end a wiggle.

I can only think that there was some oxidation on the connections, 'cause as soon as I'd give them a wiggle they were back to new again, working perfectly.

If you have an issue, try this first, before paying for someone else to give them a wiggle.

I nearly bought new ones, which would've been a real waste of money ??

• 1 year later...

Hi. Just changed all three thermocouples on my Smev Dometic Pi8023 hob and hey presto gas flame stays on again.  Really happy but spent £120.   Decided to test my old thermocouples with my volt meter  set  to 200mv dc and dipped each thermocouple into the gas flame. Much to my annoyance each read 30 mv or more.   So there was nothing wrong with them.   From this I conclude that there were bad connections electrically and this can only be onto the valve end.. .....so yes waggling is good. Also the plug connectors  pull apart quite easily.....but....how long would the connection stay good ?..at least my New thermocouples should now work for a long time. It’s a shame the hob has a pan bottom which required its full removal.     On rebuild note that the 12v ignition is polarity conscious so check for correct operation before insertion back into the work top.

Hope this adds to the helpful comments!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Wonderful advice to resolve this issue. One of my burners wouldn't stay alight and a good shake of the connectors appears to have fixed it.

Access was limited and the connectors appear quite brittle so I wasn't able to unplug and reseat them on this occasion.

Many thanks guys.

Archived