Driving licences after Brexit

ColinM50

I have just been and bought a 1968 IDP, it cost me £5-50 (just a little more than the cost of a gallon of diesel). My local post office were up to speed and the whole process was quick and easy.

BREXIT is a mess, but I do not intend to let it spoil my summer fun, so by getting an IDP for the countries I am about to visit was an easy bit of re-assurance. Perhaps time will show me to have been unnecessarily over cautious, but as the cost was only £5-50, I don't care.

spospe - 2019-02-15 10:50 AM

I have just been and bought a 1968 IDP, it cost me £5-50 (just a little more than the cost of a gallon of diesel). My local post office were up to speed and the whole process was quick and easy.

BREXIT is a mess, but I do not intend to let it spoil my summer fun, so by getting an IDP for the countries I am about to visit was an easy bit of re-assurance. Perhaps time will show me to have been unnecessarily over cautious, but as the cost was only £5-50, I don't care.

...........................................................................................................................................................

I bought my IDP (1946 ?) to come out to Spain this winter and now find that I also need another one to travel back through France (1968) if we leave with no deal, and the only way to get it is to go to a UK post office................too late I'm in Spain, hope they extend the article 50 until we get back

teccer1234 - 2019-02-15 12:32 PM

SPOSPE I see you got the 1968 IDP that will be ok unless you want to go to Spain then you will have to get the 1949 IDP as well

...........................................................................................................................................................

I bought my IDP (1946 ?) to come out to Spain this winter and now find that I also need another one to travel back through France (1968) if we leave with no deal, and the only way to get it is to go to a UK post office................too late I'm in Spain, hope they extend the article 50 until we get back

Guest pelmetman

We ended up spending 6 weeks back in the UK so got a IDP just in case ;-) ...........

Although I suspect it'll be just like when the Frogs made everyone buy a breathalyzer *-) ........

The potential fine was less than the cost of the breathalyzer :D .........

No it wasn’t...

The French ‘breathalyser’ law is still on their statute books and it is still compulsory for motorists driving in France to carry a breathalyser in their vehicle. The fine for not doing so is €11 and a ‘single use’ breathalyser having the required “NF” marking can be (and always could be) purchased in France for about €1.

However, in January 2013 enforcement of that law was postponed indefinitely.

teccer1234 - 2019-02-15 12:32 PM

Are they going to start checking driving licences at borders? Don't think so.

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2019-02-15 6:29 PM

No it wasn’t...

The French ‘breathalyser’ law is still on their statute books and it is still compulsory for motorists driving in France to carry a breathalyser in their vehicle. The fine for not doing so is €11 and a ‘single use’ breathalyser having the required “NF” marking can be (and always could be) purchased in France for about €1.

Well seeing as you were supposed to buy them before you left ;-) ........The price in Halfords is currently £5.99.........

So how about we split the difference and say not having one would of left a person £3.50 out of pocket if they were stopped and fined? :D ..........

pelmetman - 2019-02-16 9:31 AM

No it wasn’t...

Well seeing as you were supposed to buy them before you left ;-) ........The price in Halfords is currently £5.99.........

So how about we split the difference and say not having one would of left a person £3.50 out of pocket if they were stopped and fined? :D ..........

False accounting! :-D You seem not to read this bit from Derek's post: "However, in January 2013 enforcement of that law was postponed indefinitely." Enforcement means the €11 fine, so now that the issue of a fine doesn't arise, the actual cost in your case was £5.99 negative - for buying something you didn't need at an inflated price!

FWIW, at the time the law was passed I scoured French supermarkets and couldn't find any anywhere. I even asked, to be told they had none. I have looked from time to time since, and still haven't found any. Derek, IMO, did very well to get one!

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-02-16 2:28 PM

pelmetman - 2019-02-16 9:31 AM

No it wasn’t...

False accounting! :-D You seem not to read this bit from Derek's post: "However, in January 2013 enforcement of that law was postponed indefinitely." Enforcement means the €11 fine, so now that the issue of a fine doesn't arise, the actual cost in your case was £5.99 negative - for buying something you didn't need at an inflated price!

FWIW, at the time the law was passed I scoured French supermarkets and couldn't find any anywhere. I even asked, to be told they had none. I have looked from time to time since, and still haven't found any. Derek, IMO, did very well to get one!

I didn't waste a penny as I didn't bother buying one :D ...........

Archived