Ducato 3litre ‘hunting’ on start-up

betsy

Morning all (hopefully including Nick at Euroserv).

My 2010 Ducato based motorhome has the Iveco 3 litre 160 multi jet Diesel engine which has clocked up 62,000miles. For some time now it has had a tendency to ‘hunt’ on start-up. Once warmed up she generally settles down and operates normally with no warning lights etc and pulls like a train if required.

Lately, the problem has been added to by a hesitancy to start first time without my slightly depressing the accelerator pedal.

When she went through her MoT recently I mentioned the problem to the owner of the garage said: “……throttle body. A big job!”

I have since been doing a little research on the internet (mostly these pages and mostly Nick’s valuable contributions etc).

Well…….over the weekend I took the plunge and removed the Wahler 7532D throttle body (TB) from the vehicle. As has been mentioned elsewhere, it was a fairly longish job but, bearing in mind Nick’s advice to use (lots) of penetrant, there were no broken bolts when removing the actual TB itself. As expected, there was some ‘gunk’ in the TB (mainly on one side of the butterfly valve but the that still seemed operable. The TB’s electric powered actuator was badly corroded when I separated it from the body so I have decided to change the whole TB for a Pierburg 7.01754.10.0 which looks to be the one that was fitted when the Wahler version’s problems came to light. I will also be fitting a Pierburg adapter cable part number 4.07360.49.0 (is that the correct one to mate with my vehicle’s loom?).

If the ‘hunting’ still persists after fitting the replacement TB, it is my intention to look at the solenoid valve that Nick says could sometimes cause problems as it is linked to the TB…… if the hunting disappears, however, I will probably not change that.

My questions are:

(A) The internet prices of complete TB’s as well as suitable adapter cables vary enormously. Some mention the maker’s name whilst others do not, can anyone help with advice on this subject?

Whilst the front grille and top cross-piece etc are still off, is there any other part that might contribute to the ‘hunting’ which it might be worth checking/changing?

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Nick’s most recent forum logon was on 9 November 2021, so he may not monitor Motorhome Matters much nowadays.

As you may be aware, Nick is MMM Magazine’s Tech Help Editor. If you don’t get from here the fine-detail feedback that your questions require, you might try copying your enquiry to the magazine using the email address

mmmtech@warnersgroup.co.uk

(There is an email address in Nick’s forum Profile, but I don’t know if it’s still valid.)

Hello Betsy - I don't even come close to Nicks expertise but I have changed the valve on my 3.0 ltr van of similar vintage albeit my indicator of a problem was an occasional Engine Management light, I also found the old unit to be generally gunked up and corroded.

I sourced my Valve, Cable (and gasket) from the ever-helpful Coastal Motorhomes in Ringwood, Valve - 504264089, Cable - 50488738 and Gasket - 504107629 but if you give them your Reg or VIN they will confirm. All shipped next day for a total of £195.00 in Dec 2020 so probably more expensive now and it fixed the problem without any additional work or parts.

I have only had the front panel off one other time and that was for a small Rad weep (Rad replaced) I would check the top of the air cleaner whilst the front is off and change the 4 lid fixings for Allen screws or similar as they are awkward when it is reassembled and I did put mesh over the air intake as a Mice defence as recommended by others on here. I hope that is of some help.

Just wanted to post up how things have gone with my Ducato.

Thanks to Derek, I emailed Nick and he emailed me back with his opinion as to the cause of my 3 litre diesel (Iveco) engine’s problem. Nick thought that the throttle valve was probably not the main cause of the poor idling on start-up but more likely a problem with the solenoid valve. He did, however, agree to my intention of changing the Wahler throttle body (TB) for the updated Pierburg version and the necessary associated adapter cable. Nick was of the opinion that the updated TB would probable give me a better throttle response and, perhaps, some improvement in economy.

In respect of the solenoid valve, my thoughts were that if the idling problem persisted after testing the TB I would change that too.

The next day I drove over to the nearby Coastal Motorhomes (thanks DEL!) and bought the TB and cable from Martin who was still jet-lagged from returning from a VW meet in the States!

Fitting the replacement TB was fairly straightforward apart from the difficulty in accessing the top two fixing bolts (now all coated with copper grease in case the job has to be done again sometime in the future). Having seen what the much publicised damage water ingress into Ducato engine compartments can do to various components including the TB, I also took the opportunity to fabricate an extension to the ‘fix’ that Fiat added in the form of a cover above the engine so that the TB itself was well protected. I made it from part of a 5 litre screen wash container painted with matt black plastic friendly paint.

After reassembling everything, I disconnected the solenoid valve’s electrical connection(s) and sprayed them with contact cleaner. Also wriggled the vacuum hoses closer to their connections.

Came the moment to start up the engine ……..must admit to being a little nervous! No worries, however, as she fired up first time and immediately settled down to a lovely smooth idle.

Not taken her out for a longish road test yet but every test start has been just as it should be. No hesitating or need to slightly depress the accelerator pedal. Doing it myself must have saved me a small fortune not to mention the huge amount of satisfaction gained from the result.

My sincere thanks to Derek, DEL and, of course that great Ducato “Guru”, Nick Fisher!

It’s my intention to try and attach some photos of the foregoing saga but if my computer skills aren’t good enough to do that I would be happy to send then to anyone who gets in touch.

Cheers

If you want to add photos, you should find the "How do I attach a file to a forum posting?" advice in the Forum FAQ section helpful.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Code-of-Conduct-and-User-Guidelines/Forum-User-Guide/Forums-FAQ/3930/

To meet the forum's 100kb maximum file-size limit, you'll almost certainly need to reduce the size of your original photos.

I use this application

https://www.reduceimages.com/

It's free to use when photos are handled individually, and I've had no difficulty reducing the size of 'phone' photos to well below the 100kb limit with no loss of definition.

Archived