Fiat Ducato Mark 1 help

Jambon

This summer i finally wore down the Mrs and we bought a 1990 Fiat Ducato - im sure there must be more to its name but it looks like the front of the cab has been repaired at some point so im at a loss...

Anyway - been away in 'Marge' (previous owner named her after his dead mum so we cant change it in case she haunts us) and its been fun.

Only issue so far has been that Ive been driving up front with the baby and my wife has had to sit in the back which is boring for us all. The baby needs the 3 point harness and in the back are just 2 front facing lap belts

Does anyone know of anywhere i can get a double front passenger seat for the 3 of us to use? Ive looked on ebay and its just newer models. I cant see anything that would fit old Margey.

If this doesnt exist - can 3 point seatbelts be fitted in the back for the car seat so the grown ups can take the front?

(Edit: Corrected spelling of Ducato, Keithl)

It's probably a Fiat Ducato and if you can post a couple of photos, internal and external (under 200mb each or they won't post) possibly someone will recognise what it is.

A small child weighs a lot less than an adult so unofficially any rear seat restraint will not need to be as strong as a full seat belt mounting and, depending on location, it should not be too hard to fit something with sufficient load spreading capability, especially if the seat is rearward facing. Not perhaps what you seek but maybe worth looking into as a practical alternative?

If you do find and fit a dual passenger seat you may also find the seat belt location and seat and belt fixing points might prove difficult unless they already exist, as well as making rear access very difficult.

The Fiat Ducato, Alfa Romeo AR6, Peugeot J5 and Citroen C25 were all the same vehicle produced from about 1982 to 1993, I think.

The Talbot Express version was added about 1985 and ran to about 1994?.

Although the body was pretty much the same across the range, the engines used were very different.

Fiat preferring their own Ducato engines, Citroen their CX2500 turbo engine and Peugeot their 504 petrols.

The French based vans, including the Talbot, also used the Peugeot Petrol engines and it is these vehicles that were more popular in the UK than the early Fiat.

The Fiat Ducato didn't start generate much in the way of sales in the UK the second mark version.

So suggest you might be better looking for Talbot express, C25 or Peugeot J5 parts from breakers?

That doesn't mean the parts will be a direct swap, so look at photos carefully.

An early Alfa Romeo 2 van, shame the badged Ducato version was the last of the line :

179958468_Alfaromeo2van.jpg.b57eaccb10a3c59747f509a835a097cf.jpg

Hi,

Do a Google search for IVA MANUAL PASSENGER VEHICLE. I usually get a slight delay when I click on the relevent field to get into the manual.

Scroll down, a long way, to Chapter 15. SEAT STRENGTH, and Chapter 19. SEAT BELT ANCHORAGES.

You don't need to comply with these regulations, but it might help at some future date, if you can show you have tried.

Also do an Ebay search for ROCK AND ROLL BEDS. You can spend some money, or just adapt their ideas.

If you need to buy short lengths of steel, Google THE METAL STORE. If you need lots of steel, log onto metalmaniauk.co.uk Both firms will cut to length, but have different pricing policies. Sometimes one is best, sometimes the other.

I find a 115mm angle grinder with 1mm slitting discs (about £7 for 20 from Ebay) quicker and possibly cheaper than modern hacksaw blades. Also get a couple of pairs of clear goggles ... I prefer the ones with spectacle legs, rather than elastic.

Archived