Food to be taken into the EU

Pageant

Hi there,

I read with interest a recent thread on this and since law is my area, decided to dodge the housework to attempt to come up with an answer, then noticed the thread had been frozen, but don’t want to waste my research, so here’s my take for anyone interested.

As previous posts identify, the relevant law is this catchily entitled delegated regulation from the Comission, specifically concerning non-EU countries like us bringing things into the EU:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32019R2122

Article 7 is the relevant bit for us, which sets out what we can bring in without border control and needs to be read with Annex 1.

Article 6, in my view, doesn’t assist us at all. Looking at the overall construction of the regulation, the reference to transport ‘operating internationally’ almost certainly doesn’t refer to holidaymakers in their cars and motorhome, the implication being we’re talking about commercial operators - Eurostar, P&O and the like. Support for this view comes from Article 8(3) which places additional obligations upon international operators to bring things to the attention of their ‘customers’. The posters in other annexes, also operative parts of the regulation, underline the position.

So I think, when you look at the overall structure and purpose of the regulation, it’s pretty clear - we’re stuck with what regulation 7 permits (no bacon butties), P&O can dish us up our last full English before getting to Calais, but we can’t credibly claim to be an operator to whom regulation 6 applies.

The reference to transport operating internationally might be replicated in various other bits of EU legislation that would put interpretation beyond doubt - I haven’t done that level of research yet - but I don’t see a credible argument for saying we’d be ‘operating internationally’ when going on holiday. Even if anyone did chance their arm at the border with such an argument, a lack of trust about bacon in the motorhome fridge only ever being consumed ‘on board’ would, I strongly suspect, rightly result in confiscation come what may.

This is what taking back control looks like in practice... On the bright side, frogs legs are OK to take in...

But did you reach a conclusion as to what vegetable matter can be taken in? I tried to unravel the requirements and eventually gave up - on the basis that expressions such as "prepared" lack definition (for example, would washed potatoes qualify as "prepared" because the skins are edible, or would only peeled potatoes qualify?) and a number are ambiguous - at least in the English translation - and I did not want to become snagged in a long winder debate at a point of entry over interpretations. So, I just concluded that the only practical approach would be to arrive with no foodstuffs on board, and then immediately proceed to a supermarket to stock up.

Clearly no meat, milk, cheese or eggs etc, but the rest is a mare's nest!

Next question. What about an unopened packet of Italian salami? Origin of product? Italy. Imported to the UK. Then taken from the UK back into the EU. Exempt? If not, why? It was theirs in the first place! All fun, isn't it? :-D

Thanks for your work, Pageant, useful to have the EU document reference.

I have to declare a (lack of) interest, being vegan, but let's not lose sight of the reasoning behind these rules, especially as we are in in global infection crisis. Annex II of the document remind us that animal products can carry disease, and for now and the future the whole population of the world needs to change practices to avoid further pandemics, whether in humans or animals.

BTW, for dog owners, there are suitable non-animal-sourced dog foods available, if only for your trip to the EU.

These rules should of course work both ways - are there similar restrictions on bringing animal products INTO the UK?

Brian Kirby - 2021-02-12 12:46 PM

But did you reach a conclusion as to what vegetable matter can be taken in? I tried to unravel the requirements and eventually gave up - on the basis that expressions such as "prepared" lack definition (for example, would washed potatoes qualify as "prepared" because the skins are edible, or would only peeled potatoes qualify?) and a number are ambiguous - at least in the English translation - and I did not want to become snagged in a long winder debate at a point of entry over interpretations. So, I just concluded that the only practical approach would be to arrive with no foodstuffs on board, and then immediately proceed to a supermarket to stock up.

Next question. What about an unopened packet of Italian salami? Origin of product? Italy. Imported to the UK. Then taken from the UK back into the EU. Exempt? If not, why? It was theirs in the first place! All fun, isn't it? :-D

I think Part 2 of annex I may enlighten you here, Brian. I think it says only vegetables prepared with meat or milk cannot be taken in.

Brian - that was my question in the original thread ..... which was ignored by all?

The whole thing is very childish in my view. (We have imported stuff to Europe in our vans/cars/lorry cabs for the last few decades with no outbreaks of fowl pest, swine flu or foot and mouth so why should it suddenly start to happen now?)

However if thats what they want to do then it doesn't really bother me because we go abroad to be abroad, not eating what we do at home, so an initial shop in France is all part of the tapestry of the trip.

Jeremy

The reason we need to bother now, Lameduck, is the following diseases that have emerged only in the last 50 years

"Lyme disease. SARS. MERS. Ebola. Marburg. Bird flu. Swine flu, another pandemic. Dengue. Chikungunya. Zika. Sin Nombre hantavirus. Nipah. Hendra. Lethal versions of normally harmless E. coli bacteria. Gonorrhea that resists all antibiotics. Ordinary urinary tract infections that resist all antibiotics. Extensively drug-resistant TB. West Nile. Mad cow disease, in cows and people. Oh yes, and a Covid-19 pandemic."

From MacKenzie, Debora. COVID-19: The Pandemic that Never Should Have Happened, and How to Stop the Next One (p. 40). Little, Brown Book Group. Kindle Edition. If you want to scare yourself, read this book.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-02-12 1:54 PM

The reason I ‘froze’ last month’s forum thread about this was as stated in the final posting

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/No-Food-to-be-Taken-to-Europe-/57186/91/

I shall do the same thing with this follow-up if postings made within the January 2021 original are just repeated here.

You're treading a narrow line between being a moderator and a censor, Derek - to quote from your post on the other thread on the issue that you froze -

" 'respect for nature’ doesn’t come into it. I suggested to my wife “Perhaps you can take Vegan equivalents?” but she said she’d rather chuck away perishable stuff in our domestic fridge than do that."

There’s guidance on the exporting of products of animal origin from the UK to the EU on this gov.uk link

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/export-groups-of-products-of-animal-origin-to-the-eu-or-northern-ireland

The products include frogs’ legs, snails and bivalve molluscs, but the guidance relates to EXPORTING rather than for personal consumption by (say) a motorhome/caravan owner or trucker.

What about this?

https://www.hotpackmeals.co.uk/hot-pack-self-heating-meal-in-a-box-all-day-breakfast-qty-1.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImJj8gc3k7gIV1uvtCh2T3Qu2EAQYBCABEgJcdfD_BwE

Advice on the following link

https://www.completefrance.com/home/rules-for-travelling-to-france-after-brexit-1-6960357

says

Customs control

You are not allowed to take meat or meat products to France apart from fish or fish products (up to a maximum of 20kg). You are not allowed to take milk, cheese, yoghurt or other milk-based products except for infant milk, infant food or food required by humans or pets for medical reasons. However, you are allowed to take eggs (if avian flu restrictions allow), egg products and honey into the country.

What about fruit, vegetables and plants? Soil and other substrates, vine plants, citrus fruits and seed potatoes (for planting) are strictly prohibited.

Bananas, coconuts, pineapples, dates and durian fruit are allowed. All other plants and plant products, including fresh (and chilled) fruit, vegetables (including ginger), firewood, plants (including flowers and seeds) fall into a grey area. In principle, they are allowed as long as you present them at customs with a phytosanitary (plant health) certificate proving their provenance and attesting they are free from certain pests and diseases.

However, in practice, it is complicated and expensive to get hold of this paperwork and probably not worth it for members of the public unless they are absolutely determined to take the items across the border.

A spokesman for the Royal Horticultural Society said phytosanitary certificates are not issued by retailers to customers, so people would have to contact their relevant plant health authority for advice before submitting samples for laboratory testing to ensure they are free of pests and diseases. For information visit the UK government’s website on exporting plants and plant products.

Brian,

On your last question, I don’t think it makes any difference. This is about border controls on things entering the EU from a third country, regardless of where it came from originally. The regulation’s power is derived from the overarching EU regulation here, which is much more convoluted:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex%3A32017R0625

What this requires is for there to be border controls and there will be some leeway for each member state to do its own thing up to a point. There’s an emphasis on risk analysis. So the salami will be subject to control. You might be allowed to keep it but you might not. Personally, I wouldn’t take the risk - most border guards, I suspect, will take the easy route and confiscate anything on the controlled list rather than risk-analyse each item. For all I know, they’re under standing instructions to do so.

As for vegetable matter, I think that’s ok by virtue of the get out at Article 7(d). This is only qualified by Annex 1 to the extent plant products contain meat, milk or both. You get the definition of ‘plants’ and ‘plant products’ via the above regulation which, in turn cross references to this regulation:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32016R2031

giving us this list:

(1)

‘plants’ means living plants and the following living parts of plants:

(a)

seeds, in the botanical sense, other than those not intended for planting;

(b)

fruits, in the botanical sense;

©

vegetables;

(d)

tubers, corms, bulbs, rhizomes, roots, rootstocks, stolons;

(e)

shoots, stems, runners;

(f)

cut flowers;

(g)

branches with or without foliage;

(h)

cut trees retaining foliage;

(i)

leaves, foliage;

(j)

plant tissue cultures, including cell cultures, germplasm, meristems, chimaeric clones, micro-propagated material;

(k)

live pollen and spores;

(l)

buds, budwood, cuttings, scions, grafts;

(2)

‘plant products’ means unmanufactured material of plant origin and those manufactured products that, by their nature or that of their processing, may create a risk of the spread of quarantine pests.

So I think we’re ok with ‘plants’ e.g. basic fruit and veg (suspect it doesn’t matter if something’s peeled or not - as long as it’s basically still fruit or veg).

As for ‘plant products’, the drafting is terrible - depending on what you attach the ‘other than’ in Article 7(d) to, it’s either ok or not ok. Looking at the overall purpose, I think plant products are also ok, but it could be clearer. Either way, we’ve still got the 2kg allowance in 7© if not prohibited in Annex 1.

So I’m going to risk T bags, fruit, veg and a loaf of bread, sugar, coffee, herbs and spices, crisps but probably not much more - nothing I’m not prepared to have confiscated...

Of course, if the rest of the world was as stringent as the EU, maybe we wouldn’t all be sitting here dreaming of the day we can take our empty fridges abroad...

Derek Uzzell - 2021-02-12 10:04 PM

durian fruit are allowed.

That is a pretty remarkable exception. All over Asia, entrance to lifts, hotel rooms and other public facilities is barred for anyone with a durian. Even hire cars warn of massive penalty surcharges if a durian is eaten in the vehicle. A durian on a warm summer's day inside a motorhome would be positively explosive and the fumes pouring from the vehicle window at the customs counter will be enough to make officials gag!

laimeduck - 2021-02-12 1:01 PM

Brian - that was my question in the original thread ..... which was ignored by all?

The whole thing is very childish in my view. (We have imported stuff to Europe in our vans/cars/lorry cabs for the last few decades with no outbreaks of fowl pest, swine flu or foot and mouth so why should it suddenly start to happen now?)

However if thats what they want to do then it doesn't really bother me because we go abroad to be abroad, not eating what we do at home, so an initial shop in France is all part of the tapestry of the trip.

Jeremy

It’s happening now because, at the end of the withdrawal period, the UK has decided not to agree to abide by the same legal standards as the EU. So, legally, we now represent as great a risk as any other third country taking stuff into the EU. It’s the natural consequence of taking back control. Apparently, it’s precisely what 52% of the population voted for - they must teach mind-reading at Eton these days because I can’t remember it featuring on the ballot paper at the referendum - mystical is the power of an elite education...

curdle - 2021-02-12 3:38 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2021-02-12 10:04 PM

durian fruit are allowed.

That is a pretty remarkable exception. All over Asia, entrance to lifts, hotel rooms and other public facilities is barred for anyone with a durian. Even hire cars warn of massive penalty surcharges if a durian is eaten in the vehicle. A durian on a warm summer's day inside a motorhome would be positively explosive and the fumes pouring from the vehicle window at the customs counter will be enough to make officials gag!

Apparently importing durian to Great Britain from non-EU countries does not seem to be any more difficult than importing bananas, coconuts, pineapples, dates or mangos.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/importing-plants-fruit-vegetables-or-plant-material-to-the-uk#import-from-non-eu-third-countries-to-gb

I note the description of the durian’s smell as “best described as…turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away” and of its taste as "indescribable, something you will either love or despise…Your breath will smell as if you’d been French-kissing your dead grandmother”.

Yummy, yummy!

Jeremy

My salami question was tongue in cheek, Jeremy! :-)

The problem is, whether "childish" or not (and personally I don't think it is, if seen from their perspective), they are the regulations that apply to "third countries" and we elected to become a third country. I guess some of this may get smoothed out in future, but by rejecting adherence to the rules of the single market and the customs union we in effect declared our intention to depart from them, to an unspecified extent, at an unspecified time, on unspecified products.

Like many, it seems, we have tended to transfer leftovers from our home fridge to the van fridge as we leave, supplemented by a few items bought beforehand to give us a few days reserve before need to shop. Now, as Derek suggests, the leftovers will be discarded, and for simplicity we will travel out with no food on board to minimise customs etc clearance, and head for the nearest supermarket en-route to our first stopover. Just means we won't travel so far on the first day. No big deal, but a shame to chuck edible food away.

Pageant - 2021-02-12 3:32 PM..........................

Brian,

On your last question, I don’t think it makes any difference. This is about border controls on things entering the EU from a third country, regardless of where it came from originally. The regulation’s power is derived from the overarching EU regulation here, which is much more convoluted:.....................

As for vegetable matter, I think that’s ok by virtue of the get out at Article 7(d). This is only qualified by Annex 1 to the extent plant products contain meat, milk or both. .............................................

Thank you for this further, Pageant. BTW, the salami quip was, as my response to Jeremy, tongue in cheek. I hadn't intended for you to spend time running that down! Apologies if that was unclear. :-)

Regarding Article 7(d), it is the commas that bug me. It reads: "plants, other than plants for planting, plant products and other objects". It is, IMO, ambiguous, as it can be read in several ways. Cue confusion! :-) (However, I had a look at it in French and noted that the first comma is omitted, so the French version reads as in (B) below. Still has these "autres objets", though! :-D)

One interpretation of "plants, that are not intended for planting" might include your house plant, or pot of basil, etc. Another might be that imported soil is not permitted, so a growing plant cannot be taken in, but a bare rooted plant can.

But then, what does "other than plants for planting, plant products and other objects" mean? Is it (A) "plants, other than plants for planting plant products and other objects"? Or is it (B) "plants other than plants for planting, plant products and other objects"?

(A) would exclude plant products and other objects; (B) would permit them. Finally, what are these "other objects"? Are they "other" than plants, or other than "plant products". What is the context? Who judges? (Answer, the border guard, of course!)

Does one settle down for a philosophical discussion with the guard, or simply avoid the issue by treating items such as fresh lettuce in the same was as animal products and be one one's way with minimal delay? My answer was the latter, simply because it avoids potential hold-ups. :-D

Not to be taken as serious questions, but a half-decent barrister could keep himself employed for a week on just that one clause! :-D I think it would prove unenforceable - if anyone had the assets and inclination to challenge it!

Brian Kirby - 2021-02-12 7:09 PM

Pageant - 2021-02-12 3:32 PM..........................

Brian,

On your last question, I don’t think it makes any difference. This is about border controls on things entering the EU from a third country, regardless of where it came from originally. The regulation’s power is derived from the overarching EU regulation here, which is much more convoluted:.....................

As for vegetable matter, I think that’s ok by virtue of the get out at Article 7(d). This is only qualified by Annex 1 to the extent plant products contain meat, milk or both. .............................................

Thank you for this further, Pageant. BTW, the salami quip was, as my response to Jeremy, tongue in cheek. I hadn't intended for you to spend time running that down! Apologies if that was unclear. :-)

Regarding Article 7(d), it is the commas that bug me. It reads: "plants, other than plants for planting, plant products and other objects". It is, IMO, ambiguous, as it can be read in several ways. Cue confusion! :-) (However, I had a look at it in French and noted that the first comma is omitted, so the French version reads as in (B) below. Still has these "autres objets", though! :-D)

One interpretation of "plants, that are not intended for planting" might include your house plant, or pot of basil, etc. Another might be that imported soil is not permitted, so a growing plant cannot be taken in, but a bare rooted plant can.

But then, what does "other than plants for planting, plant products and other objects" mean? Is it (A) "plants, other than plants for planting plant products and other objects"? Or is it (B) "plants other than plants for planting, plant products and other objects"?

(A) would exclude plant products and other objects; (B) would permit them. Finally, what are these "other objects"? Are they "other" than plants, or other than "plant products". What is the context? Who judges? (Answer, the border guard, of course!)

Does one settle down for a philosophical discussion with the guard, or simply avoid the issue by treating items such as fresh lettuce in the same was as animal products and be one one's way with minimal delay? My answer was the latter, simply because it avoids potential hold-ups. :-D

Not to be taken as serious questions, but a half-decent barrister could keep himself employed for a week on just that one clause! :-D I think it would prove unenforceable - if anyone had the assets and inclination to challenge it!

Well I couldn’t leave the salami question alone Brian!

The drafting in 7(d) is quite dreadful - imagine Eurovision for lawyers when this stuff gets drafted - the song that wins is the one that offended the smallest number of people, so commas go astray. Anyway, if you look at the overall purpose, which is to stop plants etc coming in with bugs/diseases lurking in crevices to infect EU plants, it makes no sense to exempt plants but not plant products. Given that it’s an exemption relating to the content of personal luggage for personal consumption, it does however make sense not to exempt plants for planting - in what universe would you pack a plant for planting for personal consumption...?

Anyway, at some point before holiday season comes along - if it ever does - we’ll probably get some sort of advisory that will make it all clearer - well, maybe. In the meantime, if we ever get as far as France, I’ll risk a chat with the guard about the content of my spice rack - can’t possibly be more trouble than the time we crossed the border from Canada to the US with my autistic daughter in the back of the car, alternating between a fez and a Viking helmet - it was her hat phase. We were invited into the border office for a little chat before being allowed to proceed on our way...

;-)

Also, forgot to say that ‘other objects’ is also defined here

As this

(5)

‘other object’ means any material or object, other than plants or plant products, capable of harbouring or spreading pests, including soil or growing medium;

I’m not sure what that might include - but I’m definitely not risking a chat with the border guards about how I’m planning to personally consume a bag of John Innes on holiday...

I think we may have become used to the very relaxed rules on crossing borders within the EU, go to the US or Oz and you will find controls on food stuffs such as fruit transported between states.

The annoying thing is that the UK seems perfectly happy to import potentially diseased plant stock with little if any checks, only yesterday we where pricing up felling a row of Ash along side a road.

Guidance on importing plants to GB from the EU can be found here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/import-plants-and-plant-products-from-the-eu-to-great-britain-and-northern-ireland#importing-from-the-eu-to-gb

My understanding of the UK background to the ash dieback disease is that, although it had found its way from Asia into Europe at least 30 years ago, the UK continued to import huge numbers of ash saplings from European infected areas right up to 2012 when a ban was put in place. With so much widespread new planting in the UK it was easy for disease spores to spread from the saplings to existing mature trees and the current expectation is that 80% of UK ash trees will be killed.

(Not sure this has any bearing on the ‘legality’ of motorcaravanners taking pre-packed Italian salami from the UK to the EU in their motorhomes, though, and the thread seems to be inexorably moving towards the Chatterbox forum.)

Does anyone, who has been good enough to trawl through the regulations know the rules for EU registered vans arriving in or departing from the EU, and being driven by an EU resident. Is it the fact that the UK is now a third country, or do EU registered vehicles arriving back into the EU come under another set of rules?

Pageant - 2021-02-12 10:36 PM

Also, forgot to say that ‘other objects’ is also defined here

As this

(5)

‘other object’ means any material or object, other than plants or plant products, capable of harbouring or spreading pests, including soil or growing medium;

I’m not sure what that might include - but I’m definitely not risking a chat with the border guards about how I’m planning to personally consume a bag of John Innes on holiday...

Thanks again for this. I'd lost the will to live and hadn't the tenacity to follow through on that.

Surely, that definition includes all of us and our pets! That is, unless there is another definition (no- don't look!! :-)) that defines people and their pets as excluded from "other objects"! :-D

But then (now being really silly), isn't the van itself "capable" of so "harbouring or spreading"? I daren't look at the definition of "pests" (no, please!! :-D) woodworm, mosquitos, the odd mouse, oh yes, not forgetting;

"As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,

I've got a little list — I've got a little list

Of society offenders who might well be underground,

And who never would be missed — who never would be missed!

There's the pestilential nuisances who write for autographs —

All people who have flabby hands and irritating laughs —

All children who are up in dates, and floor you with 'em flat —

All persons who in shaking hands, shake hands with you like that —

And all third persons who on spoiling tête-á-têtes insist —

They'd none of 'em be missed — they'd none of 'em be missed!" (with apologies to Gilbert and Sullivan!)

Apologies for the OT. :-D

flyboyprowler - 2021-02-13 9:17 AM

Does anyone, who has been good enough to trawl through the regulations know the rules for EU registered vans arriving in or departing from the EU, and being driven by an EU resident. Is it the fact that the UK is now a third country, or do EU registered vehicles arriving back into the EU come under another set of rules?

Interesting question, as some folk who have residency (or dual nationality - think Ireland) within the EU also own motorhomes, and use them when visiting "home". I assume that they must be subject to the same restrictions when returning to the EU, because otherwise the whole thing becomes a complete charade. After all, some of the truck drivers who were complaining about their sandwiches being confiscated at Calais were from the EU, and were driving EU registered trucks.

We have imported stuff to Europe in our vans/cars/lorry cabs for the last few decades with no outbreaks of fowl pest, swine flu or foot and mouth so why should it suddenly start to happen now?

Jeremy

Because now we could import it from a country with lower standards, then take it into the EU.

Sticking a 'produce of the EU' label on it won't do - someone could stick a fake label on.

Some people have been given the idea we can have both free trade with the rest of the world, and open access to the EU.

'Have your cake and Eat it' *-)

Archived