France travel. off to Spain via France next week

fesspark

We are in the Charente, no problems with fuel here. There were some problems on the N10 which may be your route to Spain but the have been cleared now. You might find some delays but the gendarmes have been diverting traffic. Some delays at Poitiers around Auchan. A couple of neighbours wave gone back to the UK with only a couple of delays around Caen.

Hope that is of some help.

fesspark - 2018-11-25 8:06 AM

Any news on the French Fuel strike threat ? fesspark

If you avoid the larger towns on the way down, and stay off N roads in favour of D roads, you should avoid the demonstrations.

They are aiming to capture news coverage, so are unlikely to hold protests in villages and small towns where the TV cameras are unlikely to turn up. 50 people protesting in Puy Chaud (it does exist! :-)) isn't quite what they are after!

fesspark,we are currently on our way to Spain and been delayed by protesters at major road roundabouts, DO not join the lorry queues as that is their target vehicles. put a fluorescent yellow jacket in sight on the dashboard. use hard shoulder if on dual carriageways. Maybe use peage to avoid, we are trying that tomorrow, costly but quicker? We hope!!

I'm not sure it's countrywide, but maybe things will improve once we clear 100 mile radius of Paris.

Deffheads

P.S French police are not doing anything to help traffic flow!!

Deffheads - 2018-11-28 4:20 PM

P.S French police are not doing anything to help traffic flow!!

It's quite likely that many of the police sympathise with the demonstrators - they have to pay the higher taxes as well.

( As always, no doubt - the people who make the laws can claim their own fuel costs on expenses ! )

;-)

The French fuel-tax demonstrations were certainly countrywide last week.

Roundabouts - especially those on dual-carriageways - are favorites for holding demonstrations as it’s usually difficult for motorists to make a rapid U-turn and divert round the blockage (though a few years back I managed to do it by driving over a dual-carriageway’s low central reservation when French demonstrators were out in force).

As well as the fuel-tax protests, there’s this:

https://www.fxstreet.com/analysis/european-gas-stations-out-of-diesel-french-refinery-strike-deepens-crisis-201811280301

I have cancelled my French crossing, it appears fuel is going to be a problem as well as rioters, as other members have stated so We are going via santander from our local Plymouth Port.unfortunatly thanks to these inconsiderate Frogs it is costing us approx £250 extra one way as it is a late booking,Oh what a sick world we live in today.Nothing like the world we were born into in the 30s and 40s could ever imagine.I suppose we should be grateful we are not in France now and have booked a ferry only a couple of days later than we were going originally.Happy Holidays,ha ha. fesspark

The following newspaper article was released yesterday

"PARIS, Nov 28 —Two in three French people back the “yellow vest” protests in France, and nearly 80 percent reject measures proposed by President Emmanuel Macron as “insufficient”, according to an opinion poll published today.

Sixty-six percent of those questioned said they supported the protests sparked by higher fuel taxes, underway for the past 12 days, which have seen hundreds of thousands of people take to the streets wearing high-visibility yellow jackets.

Only 32 per cent of respondents said they opposed the movement, which has caused economic disruption as demonstrators hold up road traffic, the survey conducted by the Opinion Way group found.

The poll was carried out on Tuesday after Macron sought to defuse unrest by pledging a new mechanism to defer future tax rises if international oil prices are increasing.

He also pledged a three-month public consultation aimed at producing a roadmap to help France transition to a low-carbon economy without penalising low-income families.

But he refused to go back on an increase in fuel tax which is due to come into force in January, saying it is needed help fight pollution.

Seventy-eight percent of the 1,013 people questioned said the measures announced by the president were “wholly” or “mostly insufficient”.

Nearly 80 per cent oppose the planned fuel tax hike in January.

The survey, conducted on behalf of LCI television, RTL radio, and the Le Figaro newspaper, showed that support for the “yellow vests” had remained relatively stable from the start of the movement.”

I doubt that many of the “Inconsiderate Frogs” are concerned about the impact their political unrest might have on a tiny number of UK motorcaravanners who wished to drive through France to holiday in Spain and are now worried by being delayed en route and/or finding it hard to find diesel fuel.

(I was born in 1944, just after the D-Day landings had taken place. Does anyone seriously believe that the UK and Europe are in a worse state now than they were then?)

Derek Uzzell - 2018-11-29 8:55 AM........................Does anyone seriously believe that the UK and Europe are in a worse state now than they were then?)

Depends on how you define "worse state" Derek! :-) If you exclude "UK" from your statement above, then I think the answer is a very clear no. :-D

My first visit to France was in 1955, and I think it has visibly improved more from its state then than has the UK.

fesspark - 2018-11-29 6:34 AM

I have cancelled my French crossing, it appears fuel is going to be a problem as well as rioters, as other members have stated so We are going via santander from our local Plymouth Port.unfortunatly thanks to these inconsiderate Frogs it is costing us approx £250 extra one way as it is a late booking,Oh what a sick world we live in today.Nothing like the world we were born into in the 30s and 40s could ever imagine.I suppose we should be grateful we are not in France now and have booked a ferry only a couple of days later than we were going originally.Happy Holidays,ha ha. fesspark

The whole point of strikes and protests is to cause inconvenience, that will apply pressure to the decision makers. When it affects you, it’s not personal it’s just hard luck.

starvin marvin - 2018-11-29 5:31 PM

fesspark - 2018-11-29 6:34 AM

The whole point of strikes and protests is to cause inconvenience, that will apply pressure to the decision makers. When it affects you, it’s not personal it’s just hard luck.

It is also just a risk, that may have little to no actual impact on the journey. The decision to switch to Plymouth - Santander sidesteps the risk, but it might be entirely unnecessary.

Brian,I think it is better to eliminate the risk even if it costs more,I do not fancy the risk of being stuck in France on a motorway or town in winter,We have had that happen before as we have had too many years to remember, touring europe.especially France Spain and ;Portugal. fesspark.

This link shows the current situation regarding limited fuel availability in France and where the problems lie.

http://penurie.mon-essence.fr/w/

Apparently 16 service-stations have no fuel and 96 service-stations are short of fuel.

There’s also a website providing details of where the demonstrations are likely to occur

https://www.linternaute.com/auto/magazine/1750751-gilets-jaunes-le-direct-quels-blocages-ce-jeudi-29-novembre/

Today around Gatwick its bright sunny and great. I cannot think why anyone needs to travel countless miles and costs just to stay at some busy cramped site filled with foreigners who probably hate you anyway.

Then you have the miserable journey travelling all the way back again. I can understand the interest to experience it once but not to keep on doing the same thing. Get a life some of you its all about the experience not repetition. Anyone who considers it to be their dream location should go and live there.

Anything is possible in today's world.

And yes we did travel all over Europe plus other countries but we saw little to be gained by repeating the same long distance routes once done. The problem is that to reach more distant parts the first half is always the same with dull monotonous drives and then having to return again just about put me right off, so much so that in the 6 years we used the Rapido we did everything possible so why do it all again, we quite simply had had enough.

Now of course there are satellite images that cover most interests plus travel programs on TV. We have younger family members who do it all and who ask where would we like to go, my reply is always ... right here where I live now.

I cannot think of a better existence !

Derek Uzzell - 2018-11-30 9:13 AM

This link shows the current situation regarding limited fuel availability in France and where the problems lie.

http://penurie.mon-essence.fr/w/

Apparently 16 service-stations have no fuel and 96 service-stations are short of fuel.

There’s also a website provideing details of where the demonstrations are likely to occur

https://www.linternaute.com/auto/magazine/1750751-gilets-jaunes-le-direct-quels-blocages-ce-jeudi-29-novembre/

Calais to the Spanish border is, give or take 50 miles, 700 miles (i.e. the longest route). The average motorhome has a fuel tank that holds 80 - 90 litres, with average fuel consumption in the region of (say) 5.5 - 6.25 miles per litre.

So, being optimistic, one needs to refuel once only between the port of entry and the Spanish border. In practice, probably twice for peace of mind.

It may get so bad that all filling stations begins to run out, but that seems a fairly remote possibility before the government steps in to ensure fuel is available.

Planning refuelling stops away from the big towns, the N roads, and especially the autoroutes, while selecting stopover sites around campsites with heated showers etc, should be possible (albeit it would need monitoring en-route), and folk may even get to explore bits of France they haven't seen before.

Each to their own, obviously, but I don't think it need be a show stopper.

It is obvious that you must not have the same loves as we have,celebrating christmas and New year with loads of friends met over 40 years of travel and also the warmer climate,I cannot imagine what a boring life you have,Also I am a brass jazz musician as well as other music and I meet up and play with other musicians from all over the world, I have been playing for 72 years almost most of my life.I have 2 differant cancers that I am being treated for but it doesn,t stop my enjoyment in the motorhome world. fesspark.

Archived