Happy xmas and New year

fesspark

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-12-26 3:49 PM

You can fly now non stop to down under in 18 hours. An airplane is programmed in nautical miles like a ship. Why is that. And who invented it.

The diameter of the world is divided into degrees, one degree = 1 nautical mile = one minute

If I'm correct ?

Monique, Qantas has commenced a non stop flight from Perth to LHR. Yes it is around 18 hours however if you live on the east coast like most of the population there is still a 4 or so hour flight to Melbourne, Brisbane or Sydney. Qantas are also looking at the viability of New York from the east coast and Paris. No way I would spend that long in a plane without a break. Cheers, 

Will86 - 2018-12-26 7:38 PM

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-12-26 3:49 PM

You can fly now non stop to down under in 18 hours. An airplane is programmed in nautical miles like a ship. Why is that. And who invented it.

The diameter of the world is divided into degrees, one degree = 1 nautical mile = one minute

If I'm correct ?

Nearly Will but not quite. A minute is 1/60th of a degree and 1 minute = 1 nautical mile = 6080 feet or 10 cables. A Cable = approx 100 fathoms (Which was the standard length of a sailing ship anchor cable)

A knot is by definition the speed of 1 nautical mile per hour.

(Called a knot because in headline terms a seaman threw out a rope from the back of a ship with a piece of wood and a weight attached which sat dead in the water, then counted the number of knots tied into the rope for a period of 30 seconds (timed by another seaman with a 30 second hour glass)

The knots were spaced at known intervals along the rope (47'3") - so the navigator could work out the speed of the vessel in "knots")

Aeroplanes have always (*) used the same Navigational standards so their speed is usually stated in knots.

(*The USA used to use mph, but changed to knots in the late 60's)

Guest pelmetman
Will86 - 2018-12-27 7:27 PM

Well there you go ... Wonderful

Yes us Brits have a lot to answer for :D .........

As my half inch connector seems to fit most places in the Europe ;-) .........

laimeduck - 2018-12-26 11:40 PM

.....................................................................................

Nearly Will but not quite. A minute is 1/60th of a degree and 1 minute = 1 nautical mile = 6080 feet or 10 cables...........................................................

Now I am puzzled. Does this relate to degrees of longitude at the equator, or lattitude? Distance of degrees lattitude will increase at the poles , due to the Earth being flattened there,(oblate spheroid). So most probably degrees longitude at the equator.

Can someone please confirm which?

Alan

Alanb - 2018-12-28 10:43 AM

.....................................................................................

Nearly Will but not quite. A minute is 1/60th of a degree and 1 minute = 1 nautical mile = 6080 feet or 10 cables...........................................................

Now I am puzzled. Does this relate to degrees of longitude at the equator, or lattitude? Distance of degrees lattitude will increase at the poles , due to the Earth being flattened there,(oblate spheroid). So most probably degrees longitude at the equator.

Alan

It is degrees of Latitude

1695474179_nauticalmile.jpg.5bd2bdf38f6f2738a149539cec5f6b05.jpg

Alanb - 2018-12-28 10:43 AM

Alan

Alan, you are correct to say that distance at different latitudes will vary slightly since the earth is not a perfect sphere. It is now internationally accepted that the distance (1852mtrs) is taken at 45 degree latitude. There is also a nautical mile (UK) of 1853mtrs just to add to the confusion.

P.S Happy xmas and new year to everyone (as per the thread title! :-D )

Archived