Has anyone had a COVID test in the Calais area?

curdle

I need to travel back to the UK using the tunnel in the next few days. Has anyone had a COVID test in France since the new UK rule came in? From what I can make out, the UK would accept a rapid antigen test that can be carried out at a pharmacy in France. Would like to hear from anyone that has tested and successfully travelled without hassle. (But I also read that certain airlines, rejected that test as suitable).

There was something on the news last night about this, apparently the test must meet certain criteria, as the story was of no immediate interest to me didn't take much notice what they where, but it did occur to me that a traveller might not know what the criteria where.

p.s. Here you go, these are the criteria.

Test providers and type of test

You will need to find a test provider. You must make sure that the test provider can meet the standards for pre-departure testing.

The test must:

meet performance standards of =97% specificity, =80% sensitivity at viral loads above 100,000 copies/ml

this could include tests such as:

a nucleic acid test, including a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or derivative technologies, including loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) tests

an antigen test, such as a test from a lateral flow device

It is your responsibility to ensure the test meets the minimum standards for sensitivity, specificity and viral load details so you must check with your test provider that it meets those standards.

There’s a good deal of relevant infomation on the Eurotunnel website

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travelling-with-us/latest/covid-19/

https://help.eurotunnel.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360016717137

(NB: There is no COVID-19 testing facility at the Eurotunnel site.)

and more about testing prior to travelling to England here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-testing-for-people-travelling-to-england

This website may help curdle locate a convenient COVID-19 test centre.

https://blog.wego.com/covid-19-test-in-france/

flicka - 2021-01-19 8:59 PM

I, rightly or wrongly, understand transport drivers need to test, so would assume there will be testing facilities in the Calais area for them.

If you look at the UK Government website you will see that hauliers are exempt!

This January 8-14 MHFun thread may be useful

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/private-covid-test-recommendations-around-calais.233475/

James asked yesterday for advice from anyone who had COVID-19 tested in France and successfully travelled back to the UK hassle-free, but - given that the requirement for a negative COVID-19 test was only imposed by the UK from last Monday - the chances of getting feedback from forum-members based on personal experience have got to be very small.

The French testing arrangements will primarily be for French nationals, so I don’t know how easy it might be for a ‘foreigner’ to get a test done by merely turning up at a French pharmacy or laboratory, nor (despite the Twitter entry referred to on the MHFun thread saying that the test is free) whether free testing would apply to foreigners.

I’m not sure where James is now, but he could try contacting some pharmacies in the Calais area and ask what their testing requirements are for foreigners. Or - as he will be travelling through France in his motorhome - it might be worth checking if a pharmacy in a smaller town on his route to Calais can carry out the test immediately for him.

Hi

As Derek pointed out there is no facility for testing yet at the Eurotunnel site,

You may use, Vaccination Csntre Calais (Fourm Gambetta) 23 Boulevard Leon Gambetta .

To arrange an appointment you can ring 0321 46 20 56. and explain your travelling

Sat Nav 50.94797 1.85059

Hope this helps . Stay safe and safe trip back

Thanks all, for your very helpful replies. I happened to pass a medical biology lab in Abbaville. Stopped to ask the question, expecting to pay, private rates and both I and the wife were whisked through sans payment!, I feel the loss of EU most keenly. Anyway results with 24 hours and having endured multiple COVID tests in Spain, I have to say the French test was the most rigorous yet. Multiple, deep insertion nasal twizzlings brought to mind the rigorous exertions of Matron (Barbara Windsor) in the carry on series.

As a follow-up for anyone seeking a COVID test as they return to the UK from EU. We stumbled across Biopath laboratories in France. They have 32 locations in Ill-de_France. We did a walk-in without appointment, tested minutes later and despite both I and my wife stating the reason for the test (i.e.. travel, not French resident) there was no charge for the test (contrasting with 150 GBP each in the UK). Our test at 16h20 in the afternoon delivered a result via SMS and email by 9.00 a.m. the next morning.

Less helpful was pet reception at Euro Tunnel, who declared our cat on a Malaysian passport as non conforming and sent us to a French Vet (Malaysia is a listed county for UK rules). The French vet issue a French pet passport confirming that he had read in the Malaysia passport that the valid Rabies shot would expire in March 2021. 75 euros, kerching... Like the Spanish border customs seizing Nando's sauce bought in Gibraltar, one is left with a sense that actually, no one actually knows the rules and cover their ass accordingly, with nonsensical crap.

On the flip side, no customs check.

Brian Kirby - 2021-01-24 6:12 PM

So, should we conclude you got back OK after that little lot? :-)

Hi Brian

Thanks for the question. Yes we got back absolutely OK. I had to do the driving but a combination of left foot braking and using the cruise control as a modified hand throttle led to a fairly painless experience provided I kept the mileage down. Not too sure about physio support in the UK once we are out of isolation, guess we will see.

Hi Curdle. That was very interesting reading of that trip to Gibraltar. and Back to the UK. And Brexit Time. And Corona Variants. And The PET control at Calais .Very nice links as Always from Derek. The Piri- Piri sauce from Nando`s Contains Chili Pepper a favorite of Mine but it Attacks The Thick Colon. All peppers Do.

onecal - 2021-01-20 1:53 PM

Hi

As Derek pointed out there is no facility for testing yet at the Eurotunnel site,

You may use, Vaccination Csntre Calais (Fourm Gambetta) 23 Boulevard Leon Gambetta .

To arrange an appointment you can ring 0321 46 20 56. and explain your travelling

Sat Nav 50.94797 1.85059

Hope this helps . Stay safe and safe trip back

Many thanks for this, but could you please just confirm whether that was an easting or westing position on the sat nav?

Ainsley, it will be an easting. The coordinates for the car park entrance in front of the Forum Gambetta are: N50.94724 E1.85043. The coordinates given by onecal are one street away in the Rue de Vauxhall, at the rear of greater Calais regional council from which there is no access to the Forum. However, I get the Impression that the Forum is an exhibition space that has been commandeered as a vaccination centre for administration of Covid vaccine. I therefore think it would be wise to check what facilities are available, and for how long, before turning up!

Brian Kirby - 2021-01-29 3:21 PM

Ainsley, it will be an easting. The coordinates for the car park entrance in front of the Forum Gambetta are: N50.94724 E1.85043. The coordinates given by onecal are one street away in the Rue de Vauxhall, at the rear of greater Calais regional council from which there is no access to the Forum. However, I get the Impression that the Forum is an exhibition space that has been commandeered as a vaccination centre for administration of Covid vaccine. I therefore think it would be wise to check what facilities are available, and for how long, before turning up!

Thank you Brian,

Not sure when we are coming back to the UK as still waiting for our residency in Spain to come through. However, if a test is needed when we do travel, then it would be very useful to have a place to go before the crossing.

Ainsley

Just in case anyone else is looking for an approved Covid test, prior to arriving in the UK I found that Biopath Labs have two testing places in Calais which should be able to do the test.

1. 1 Place du Danemark Calais +33 3 21 34 43 22

2. 14 Boulevard Victor Hugo Calais +33 3 21 36 01 02

http://www.biopath.fr/laboratoire-analyses-medicales/Laboratoire-CALAIS-Nord/12

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Sorry for my slow reply and incorrect sat nav (passed on to me by a friend there, on the day)

He informs me it is working very well , No need to drive in You can ring park up your motorhome and walk in.

To arrange an appointment you can ring 33 3 21 46 20 56. and explain your travelling

Sat Nav 50.947224083082936, 1.8502569121277044

That is to the front car park of testing centre I am informed

Regards

Archived