Hinge lubrication

bodach

My habitation door hinges are starting to creak so some lube is obviously required. What to use tho'? Not mineral oil or WD40 but what about a spray of silicon based lube?

In the past I had a hard job dismantling the gas locker door hinges and used silicon grease which seems ok. Side locker hinges had also to be dismantled with difficulty and relubed with silicon grease.

Don't fancy taking off the habitation door so a spray which would hopefully penetrate would be ideal.

Anyone with experience of this? Any advice welcome.

I think most motorhome hinges have nylon inserts which swell up and jam if a mineral oil or WD40 is used. I have been caught out in the past which is why I asked for advice. Silicone grease appears to be ok but the hinge has to be dismantled to get this in. Not easy outdoors in the recent weather. I will try the Thetford spray to see if it penetrates. Thanks for the advice.

On my tracker I had a very noisy door. I thought it was the hinges so used silicon spray, however the main offender was the hydraulic ram on the top of the door. Salt had dried on the s/s shaft and it was dragging through the seal on the end of the ram. A clean & a wipe with silicon spray solved the problem. cheers, 

• 2 weeks later...

Been there, done that... If a hinge is creaking it's already to late, it will get stiffer and stiffer and one day you'll notice that it has snapped - you cannot get any lube in.... Drill out the rivets try your best to pull it apart, ream it out with a 6.5mm wood bit, wet and dry the steel pin and re-assemble. Dead easy job unless your hinge has welded it itself together in which case start looking on eBay.. and they cost a fortune at £35+ each. Good luck

Archived