Hymer B660SL 2009 LHD to RHD adjustment

Barney123

Been searching the old posts looking for the instructions on how to convert my headlights from LHD to RHD.

I know someone once posted excellent instructions on how to accomplish it and I did print it off for future reference.

Now when I need those instructions for the life of me I cannot find them.

Can anyone help please

Thanks

There was this 2013 discussion

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Hymer-A-Class-headlamps/30375/

The advice essentially boils down to there being a lever (or levers) on the rear of the dipped-beam part of the Hella headlamp and moving the lever modifies the dipped-beam pattern.

More here

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/60-hymer-motorhomes/99439-hymer-headlight-new-shape-rhd-lhd.html

I can only advise on the older models of the Hymers around the times of the "E" models. You could change the dip direction by removing three retaining screws at the back of the light. Then pulling the unit backwards so it cleared a small tag, rotate the unit in the direction of the letter R or L. Then push the unit back into its holder and replace screws. It sounds very simple but access to the back 3 screw is, shall we say difficult.. I can remember this being posted many years ago. On my Mercedes camper i can change the glass lenses just by unclipping them and fitting the right hand dip lenses that I have for Europe etc.

Thanks Derek for the info, I have had a good look of what I can see with mirror and camera and have tried myself to take that rubber protector off to get to the levers, but there is no way with my short arms etc could I take that protector off, never mind put it back on again. So now I will have to put feelers out for someone to do it for me. Of course payment and a bottle of brandy on offer.

Thanks

Barney123 - 2021-10-23 8:18 PM

Been searching the old posts looking for the instructions on how to convert my headlights from LHD to RHD.

I know someone once posted excellent instructions on how to accomplish it and I did print it off for future reference.

Now when I need those instructions for the life of me I cannot find them.

Can anyone help please

Thanks

Hope this may help, but if your B660 SL has the same headlamps as the 2008 model (I assume likely) I believe the headlamp may look like the first picture below.

If so, to modify the dipped beam remove the headlamp to access the adjusters. To remove the headlamp open/remove the "bonnet" to gain access to the three fixing bolts, and remove the two bolts labelled "HERE" in the picture, plus the third bolt just visible top right of the picture, and disconnect the electrical connections.

Then locate, and adjust, the adjusting levers (also labelled "HERE") as in the second picture below.

From memory, once the adjustment is made the result is a flat topped bean with no "kick-up" to either side which is (was!) legal either side of the ditch, meaning that the beam would not cause dazzle to oncoming traffic in left, or right, hand traffic.

If remains is the case, once the adjustment is made (and assuming the basic alignment is correct) I don't think it is necessary to re-adjust for MoT test purposes, or continental, or UK, use. The only draw back is the absence of that kick-up, which somewhat impairs forward view on the nearside when driving at night. I don't drive the motorhome at night, so the only use the headlamps ever got was in tunnels, fog, rain, or otherwise poor visibility - and I can't remember doing the adjustments on an annual/trip basis.

Hymer-headlamp-removal.thumb.jpg.58a87f97f9d13e7aa9a079b2acab03c5.jpg

Hymer-headlamp-adjustment.thumb.jpg.0a5a5dfcad5fcc0f70903a01db451071.jpg

If your headlamp unit is as Brian describes, and my 2016 Hymer is, then removal is not difficult. Do however take care when refitting, particularly the middle bolt which is a 2 part adjustable bolt . One section (hollow with internal thread) screws out from the chassis to make contact with the headlight unit. The second part screws through the unit into the second part. I hope that is clear, but will be obvious when you start removal.

The reason I point this out is that many of these units shatter or craze for no apparent reason. Many victims of this hugely expensive breakage swear that no stone was flung up from other vehicle to cause the issue. Current thinking has been that either the daylight running lights create a hot spot leading to damage, or that the unit has been stressed due to distortion by the middle bolt not being properly adjusted.

I tighten the upper and lower bolts, but do not tighten the middle bolt much beyond finger tight. I took the opportunity to change my DRLs to LEDs some time ago and was surprised at the discolouration of the bulb holders due to heat, so might be worth a check.

Even with the unit removed I found the levers to be awkward and they did not seem to have a definitive stop or ‘click’ to give reassurance, and still not very user friendly and accessible.

Davy

I believe the photos Brian provided above originated from this 2010 MHFacts “Headlight beam switch” thread

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/673429-post.html#872358

This thread is referred to on the 2nd page of the 2012 MHFacts discussion I metioned above

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/60-hymer-motorhomes/99439-hymer-headlight-new-shape-rhd-lhd-2.html

where the suggestion seems to be that it MAY be possible to alter the position of the ‘switch over’ levers without first removing the headlamps, though that might mean one needs arms like those of an octopus and the dexterity of a heart surgeon - and possibly some sort of tool to tweak the levers too.

(I remember experimenting with how difficult it would be to change the headlamp bulbs of my 2005 Ford Transit Mk 6-based Hobby motorhome. I managed to change the left headlamp’s bulb quite easily, but had a helluva job getting the waterproofing cover clipped back in place. The vehicle had air-con and the Transit handbook warned that this complicated changing the bulb of the right headlamp as part of the air-con equipment first needed to be removed - so I never attempted that. Headlamp removal involved taking off the front bumper. The Transit Mk 7 had completely different headlamps that (rather like those of the Ducato X290) were simple to remove, making bulb changing straightforward.)

TeamRienza - 2021-10-24 1:51 PM

If your headlamp unit is as Brian describes, and my 2016 Hymer is, then removal is not difficult. Do however take care when refitting, particularly the middle bolt which is a 2 part adjustable bolt . One section (hollow with internal thread) screws out from the chassis to make contact with the headlight unit. The second part screws through the unit into the second part. I hope that is clear, but will be obvious when you start removal.................................. Davy

Good point. I think I vaguely remember having to insert a thin open ended spanner between the back of the headlamp flange and the bodywork to engage the flats on internally threaded element to prevent it turning when loosening the fixing bolt, and again when re-fitting the headlamp, so as to retain the original adjustment.

BTW, removing the headlamp is also by far the easiest way to replace a blown bulb in these units, so it is worth becoming familiar with how to do it - in case you have to replace a bulb on a campsite (or wherever else you discover the problem), as I did just outside Rome in April 2016! Forewarned is forearmed! :-D

This link is to a 2011 Hymer B-Series instruction manual (that should relate to Barney123’s Hymer)

http://ourbumble.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Hymer-B590-Manual.pdf

Headlamp bulb replacement is covered on Page 171 with adjustment of the beam pattern described on Page 172, and I’ve copied the latter advice below (1st image). What is not warned, of course, is how difficult bulb replacement and/or beam-pattern changing may actually be.

...............................................................................................................................................................

This 2020 MHFun thread may also be of interest, even though it relates to adjustment of Hymer headlamps fitted to A-class models (said to have been) built from 2015 onwards. I’ve copied the thread’s 3 photos below (images 2, 3 and 4)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/newer-hymer-headlights-adjustment.226229/

I can’t find any online guidance about the direction in which the switch-over levers of the earlier or later headlamps should be moved to swap between UK or ‘Continental’ dipped-beam pattern. Presumably - as suggested in the MHFun thread - the motorhome owner will need to confirm with the headlamps in situ which pattern they are producing and, if this is a left-dipping UK-norm pattern and a Continental pattern is required, move the lever to its alternative position (which with the earlier lights discussed above probably means removing the headlamp) and then recheck the pattern afterwards.

adjustment.png.cccf93e019370b68f13ab30e694b1ea6.png

3.jpg.2e101619523c547523c000ebdf618e8b.jpg

2.jpg.e9c03efa5fd6679af565c3e34a6a8ac0.jpg

1.jpg.d504b6b57b4e922dbf713e89d274c6c1.jpg

Archived