International Driving Permit (IDP) not required in Europe

Casimir

rayc - 2020-12-02 10:10 AM

Where does it say what the rules are from 1st January 2021? All I can see is "Driving in Europe from 1 January 2021

The rules for driving, passports, EHIC cards, pet travel and more may change from 1 January 2021...."

Agreed.

The rules on the website seem to be current rules - not next years (?)

I obtained 2 IDPs this year when we traveled to Spain and Portugal via France , only about a fiver each , easily obtained from the post office, I never need the IDPs of course but got them any way thinking they would be good after full Brexit, wrong , they are only good for the period your UK licence is in date and as mine expired October this year they also expired at that date, I renewed my licence in the usual way on line , over 70 licence, needed a new photo as they only last for 3 years now , at least renewing my licence was free, I let my over 3.5 tonnes entitlement go when I reached 70 , 6 years ago , as I have a 3.5 tonne van now and do not want a bigger van again, my present van is 7.3 metres long still a large vehicle, I think the 7.5 tonne entitlement rule is daft when you consider the size of my now van, my tag axle Hymer which I downsized from was not much longer than my now van , heavier of course but the skills needed to drive my now van are no different to driving the bigger van as I see things, but hey ho that is the rules .

• 4 weeks later...
It has now been confirmed that after 1 January 2021, you will still be able to use your UK driving licence and you will not need an International Drivers Permit, according to the British government. UK driving licences will be valid in Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Iceland as well.

Guest pelmetman
Casimir - 2020-12-02 9:23 AM

According to a recent update, an International Driving Permit (IDP) will NOT be required in EU countries after 1st January 2021. The updated list incudes France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany and others.

More info here:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

More excellent BREXIT news B-) ...........

PS.......Anyone want to buy a hardly used IDP? :D .......

Casimir - 2020-12-27 9:04 AM

It has now been confirmed that after 1 January 2021, you will still be able to use your UK driving licence and you will not need an International Drivers Permit, according to the British government. UK driving licences will be valid in Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Iceland as well.

Just to clarify, that's for those with a photo driving licnce (like what I have , said in best Ernie Wise voice), if you have a paper licence you are advised to contact the embassies of countries you are visiting.

Archived