MOTORHOME SERVICE

Seanyboy

Seanyboy,

Rapido 924F

Isle Of Sheppey

I'be been quoted £450 for a yearly service which includes an MOT. Looking at my my previous bills from this garage this seems high. Is it?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm on the Isle of Sheppey area.

Thanks

Depends on mileage time scale, etc. A major service includes a lot more than a simple oil and filter change. Maybe a cambelt?

I still do my own ( getting a bit long in the tooth now) but materials can cost around £90 and maybe 5 or 6 hours labour, (a full day for me!) £60 an hours is what my local garage charge so £300 plus for labour. An MOT is charged at £50. So it seems about right to me.

H

Seanyboy - 2020-08-18 4:28 PM

Seanyboy,

Rapido 924F

Isle Of Sheppey

I'be been quoted £450 for a yearly service which includes an MOT. Looking at my my previous bills from this garage this seems high. Is it?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm on the Isle of Sheppey area.

Thanks

What yearly service? My Ducato only requires a service every 2 years with oil changes if the computer says so.

rayc - 2020-08-18 7:02 PM

Seanyboy,

Rapido 924F

Isle Of Sheppey

Thanks

What yearly service? My Ducato only requires a service every 2 years with oil changes if the computer says so.

I would refer you to comments by Nick who ran a fleet of Ducato's.

I would advise low mileage users to get the oil service done every year regardless. I call my vans in for an inspection at 12,500 miles and an oil change every 25,000 miles. I see each one 3 or 4 times a year! The front pads will not normally last 30,000 miles.

Seanyboy,

Rapido 924F

Isle Of Sheppey

Thanks

I don’t think you’ve ever said in your other postings when your Rapido 924F motorhome was built, but its motor indicates that it would have been pre-2006. As its an A-class design, access to the under-bonnet area may well be constricted, but otherwise the vehicle is just a Fiat Ducato with a plastic body grafted on.

You need to check the garage’s previous bills and compare what tasks they performed then (and what the charges were) with what they are planning to do now. You should have been given an itemised quotation that allows that comparison to be made - if you’ve just been given a “It’s going to cost £450” price, I suggest you ask for more detail. Unless the garage is a Fiat Professional agency, it’s likely that they won’t be using ‘genuine’ Fiat parts and - if that’s the case - £400 for a basic service seems on the high side to me.

Archived