MiFi Data - how many Gb do you need abroad?

StuartO

I am trying to work out which data SIM to go for, which means estimating how much data I will use.

I am adding a MiFi device to our two Three Network mobile phones for a two month trip to France, Spain and Portugal. The mobile phones have Three's "Feel at Home" and 4Gb of data per month each but we can't tether our laptop to them abroad, hence the MIFI, so we can get UK news and maybe stream some entertainment using our laptop for a bigger screen while we are "down South" and out of satellite TV range.

Can anyone tell me how much data it takes (per hour or per movie or whatever) to stream TV programmes and films using catch-up services and Amazon Prime? I'm thinking of buying a 12Gb pre-paid Data Sim, will that be enough for, say, watching Sky News for 15 mins per day for a month and maybe streaming a total of half a dozen movies?

When we go "down south" for the winter we take a TV recorder full of all the programmes we couldn't watch at home because of clashing. We have films, wide choice on Freeview, quiz shows, entertainment, nature programmes etc and therefore a varied evening's viewing. Can usually get news headlines via BBC App on phone which is enough for us

John

Hi Stuart, We use a Virgin sim with 100gb a month with a maximum 20gb rollover and we watch All UK terrestrial channels via a cloaking VPN. Both Virgin and 3 do the 100gb deal at sometime, it's best to keep an eye on who is offering what. My 100gb deal costs £20.66 on a 12 month contract.

We were using a Mifi [ Huawei] but now just tether from the mobile phone.

Stuart, I also have a Three mifi and used it in Spain and Portugal last September/October. Best part of a year ago I happened on a good deal giving me 20gb of data for £10pm, although I was told that you don't get the full 20gb when travelling abroad, just 13gb. That's my first point, check whether you get the full allowance when abroad - this may have changed.

For us, it worked fantastic, and much easier than messing about with site WiFi. In all the sites we visited, there was only one where the mifi could not lock on to a strong signal. However, be warned than the data gets used quickly, and if you are planning to stream movies, your allowance will only last a few days. We only used ours daily to download newspapers, mail, and do a bit of browsing, but by the end of the month we were up to 12gb and having to curtail our time on the net to make sure it lasted. You can check in on your Three portal to monitor your usage, and it tells you when your monthly allowance renews. So overall, you may be ambitious to thing you can stream movies with 12gb, and last the month.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Not sure where I found this info but it might be helpful:

This table shows how much data some standard online activities use. Bear in mind that the figures are only rough estimates - your actual usage is likely be around these amounts, but could be more or less depending on a number of factors.

Activity                             Data consumption

One hour web browsing     10 - 25MB

Download a document     2MB

One hour of Facebook     20MB

Download a music track     4MB

Stream 30 minutes of YouTube     175MB

Download a non-HD film     700MB-1GB

Download an HD film     4GB

Stream one hour of Semi HD (720) video        0.9GB

Stream one hour of Full HD video (1080)         1.5GB

Stream one hour of music or radio             150MB

(Information taken from a number of providers, including BT, Virgin Media, and Vodafone)

witzend - 2019-01-11 12:48 PM

I use the 3 12gb data sim and have for 3 yrs this is where I've purchased it

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

To be a bit more clear on the above post, its 12gb sim and lasts for 12 months. We have one in our iPad and it works great. Got it from MyMwemory also, about £26.

We go away fir a month in the summer. Until now, I have taken 2x 12gb cards from 3. I always start using the cards in the U.K. as they can’t be activated while abroad if they’ve not been used before. This year i have bought a 24gb card from www.7dayshop.com. I think between my wife and I we use about 10gb in that month with a mixture of social media, Netflix emails and things like internet banking, route planning in google maps and looking for sites of interest and campsites. In France we use Mac Donald’s as an emergency when signal is bad. I used BTFon for a couple of years but access was so random that I didn’t stick with BT so can no longer use it.

We aren’t huge downloaders, particularly if the weather is good

Dickybeau - 2019-01-11 9:36 PM

I always start using the cards in the U.K. as they can’t be activated while abroad if they’ve not been used before.

I think you'll find the "3" data Sims can be activated abroad. Well, I've done it based on reliable information gained from MHFun.

StuartO - 2019-01-12 12:27 PM

Preumably the Pay As You Go data SIM simply runs out if you exhaust your pre-paid Giga bytes while you are abroad - and can you top it up while abroad too if you wish?

I would think that you can, the only thing that I have noticed is that to go onto your 3 App you have to turn off WiFi so unless you can topup before you run out don't know how you would do it.

StuartO - 2019-01-12 12:27 PM

Preumably the Pay As You Go data SIM simply runs out if you exhaust your pre-paid Giga bytes while you are abroad - and can you top it up while abroad too if you wish?

Yes you can top it up using your phones own data connection and the 3 app But it's cheaper to just insert another one which from my experience You can activate while abroad I have heard to the contrary but twice I've done it without any snags

We're in Spain now using 3 mobile data sim cards. The 12Gb card ran out a few days ago. Just loaded a replacement in to the Mi-Fi, this time a 24Gb sim which has a two year lifespan as opposed to the 12Gb 12 months. You can top the sims up online but you get poor value for money. Better to travel with a few prepaid sims and bin them as you use them up.

StuartO - 2019-01-11 8:49 AM

I am trying to work out which data SIM to go for, which means estimating how much data I will use.

I am adding a MiFi device to our two Three Network mobile phones for a two month trip to France, Spain and Portugal. The mobile phones have Three's "Feel at Home" and 4Gb of data per month each but we can't tether our laptop to them abroad,

Just picking up on this point "but we can't tether our laptop to them abroad".

I had the same restriction on my wife's Three "Essentials" contract. Discussing this in the local Three shop, they said no problem, and changed it over to an "Advanced" contract that does allow the tethering, plus it cost not a penny more. It had run for a year, and I did this last November, totally hassle free.

So if you do that then your two 4 GBs will give you a "free" 8 GB via your mobiles.

Well worth simply asking for it as an existing customer.

Stuart, As said before I use a 100gb Virgin sim and this month have used 80gb so far, yes I do download films and from iplayer also audio books. I agree that when the weather is warm my usage reduces greatly but currently by 5pm its dark and cold in Los Alcazares and by 9pm it,s single figures.

However if your usage is light and for facebook etc, I,m sure you have enough data.

Since I have been assured that you can activate new Three data SIMs while abroad, I can simply take another 12Gb PAYG SIM with me as a fallback in case I get desperate for more extensive and detailed Brexit coverage (as if!). We're going to taking old fashioned DVDs with us too, so I don't really anticipate watching a lot of streamed TV or video and we'll also have our two IPhones.

Thanks again for all the advice, it's been very helpful.

Casimir - 2019-01-11 4:32 PM

This table shows how much data some standard online activities use. Bear in mind that the figures are only rough estimates - your actual usage is likely be around these amounts, but could be more or less depending on a number of factors.

(Information taken from a number of providers, including BT, Virgin Media, and Vodafone)

It's worth noting that if you use a firestick and and change the quality of the picture down from best to good you save about 2 gigs on an hour of watching. Go to settings/preferences/data monitoring/set video quality and go from best to good.

yoko8pups - 2019-01-13 2:06 PM
Casimir - 2019-01-11 4:32 PM

It's worth noting that if you use a firestick and and change the quality of the picture down from best to good you save about 2 gigs on an hour of watching. Go to settings/preferences/data monitoring/set video quality and go from best to good.
And I just timed 1hr 15mins of radio4 and it used .09 of a gb.

StuartO - 2019-01-11 8:49 AM

I am adding a MiFi device to our two Three Network mobile phones for a two month trip to France, Spain and Portugal. The mobile phones have Three's "Feel at Home" and 4Gb of data per month each but we can't tether our laptop to them abroad, hence the MIFI, so we can get UK news and maybe stream some entertainment using our laptop for a bigger screen while we are "down South" and out of satellite TV range.

Can anyone tell me how much data it takes (per hour or per movie or whatever) to stream TV programmes and films using catch-up services and Amazon Prime? I'm thinking of buying a 12Gb pre-paid Data Sim, will that be enough for, say, watching Sky News for 15 mins per day for a month and maybe streaming a total of half a dozen movies?

I dont think 12gb will come close. Your 15 min per day of news will use around 7.5gb then there is say 1-2 gb per film, more if they are HD. Then consider any other browsing you might do and Windows 10 has a habit of downloading huge updates when it feels like it although you can tell it your on a metered connection which doesnt always work and has also been mentioned you need to check your provider gives you the full allowance and does not throttle your connection. Im with Vodafone and they do give you the full allowance, tethering is allowed and they do not throttle data and use a wide range of providers.

I just use my phone as and when as a hot spot with an 18gb allowance but I wouldnt start streaming on it really. I would go for at least double that amount if possible, maybe more. I can do 12gb at home in a day.

With ref to activating the three sim when abroad, for the last five years I have been buying the three pre loaded data sim both 12 & 24 gb from eBay and delivered to our cottage here in France and use them in my iPad with no problems re activating.

• 2 months later...

This might be too late for the OP but others might want to grab the unlim data sim from THREE at £20/month special offer on now 12 April 2019. I've just bought in today

I know that in "Europe" as defined by Three, - my data limit is 19gB / month and beyond is down to 12gB/ month.

importantly for me tethering is OK but even on a previous plan when tethering was NOT permitted i got round it by using FoxFi aka PdaNet+

I’m presently in Southern Spain using a Smarty, unlimited 4g sim, in my HUAWEI Mifi. Cost is £25 p/m contract free with the initial second month free plus a £20 Amazon voucher. In the EU it’s limited to 19Gb a month as it’s part of the 3 network. We’ve been using it for listening to R4 plus a bit of web browsing, emails, Facebook etc and it does seem to go through the data quite quickly, more so than the various estimates by other posters would suggest. It’ll come into its own, I think, when travelling the UK in the following months.

Archived