Motorbike Rack/Trailer

hymer1942

Hydratrail do both single wheel and double wheel motorcycle reversable trailers, both have suspension but its not immediately aparent when you look at it. Costs a bomb though!

The technique has been around, especially in France for many years.

C.

Hi Hymer

IMO please be careful if you are considering the Hydratrail EasyLifter, although the product appears impressive there is an outstanding issue regarding compliance with the Trailer Construction & Use Regulations.

There are also some outstanding (as far as I am aware) issues awaiting resolution in Court.

Please use the "search facility" - Motorhome Matters & one year to bring up previous threads.

There is a link to a very long & detailed thread in the MF forum relating to the Hydratrail EasyLifter.

The EZETow, is a similar concept BUT does comply with the Trailer Construction & Use Regulations.

The EzeTow initially appears more expensive, but the price is "inclusive" & it is similar in price to the Easy lifter, when VAT, Spare Wheel, etc are added.

An alternative is the Towbar mounted transverse Bike Rack by PWS

http://www.pwsacc.co.uk/scooter-racks.htm

but weight may be a limiting factor.

Another alternative is the Armitage side loading Bike trailer

http://www.armitagetrailers.com/biketrailers.htm & scroll down.

Guest JudgeMental

So Barry, How many fines in Spain with the A frame? having a bit of a rethink?lol

I hope you are making good use of that lovely wisper e bike of yours :-D

the armitage @ £699 looks the best bet, with no worries re legality or axle/payloads

Work out what weight you want to put on the trailer / rack. The bike, top box, accessories etc. Then check your axle loadings.

There is a thread regarding Armitages and an A frame they fitted that is not good BUT we used Armitage for our rack after doing loads of homework. Found then REALLY helpful on the phone and with design of what they could do for us. Also they helped with loadings and electrical advice regarding rear lights / trailer board.

When we went there nothing was too much trouble and fitted a fantastic side load rack bolted right along the rear chassis to the rear bulk head. Used existing bolt holes from the removal of the tow bar that was on the van.

The rack spread the load evenly and can be removed leaving a tow bar. Thet have an on site workshop and cut / weld anything to suit the particular appliction reaquired.

Would NEVER NEVER use one of the racks that just bolts on to the existing tow bar bolts. The point load on thes bolts is masive and are designed for pulling not downward pressure - would not like to get to Spain and find my bike fell off in France !

If you have a large bike and it is heavy, racks will not be suitable and you will be back to the trailer solution. The main reason we did not go with a trailer is the over all extension of the length of the van plus trailer and it seemed that we would add more problems with possible punctures, tyres, wheel bearings etc that were not needed - why add more wheels ?

We found Armitage very helpful on the phone and gave lots of useful information prior to us actually going with the rack route.

Mr & Mrs B :-)

Oh forgot to say - the Easylifter rack. Be careful with weight, obviously the weight of the rack has to be added to your calculations. The easylifter rack is essentially a standard rack that move up to transport position and down to road level for loading / unloading your bike using an oil filled jack. Very similar to a heavy duty bottle jack for wheel change.

When I called them they were not forth coming with the over all weight of the jack and rack. I went to see one second hand and found out why - its VERY heavy ! Also most of them fix to the tow bar exiting bolts - again see my previous post regarding downward pressure on these bolts.

Consider this if looking at these racks maybe.

Mr B

;-)

Guest JudgeMental
was forgetting about the hassle of reversing and parking with a trailer :-S If you have the payload/axle loading capacity maybe these things are the way to go......

The Armitage trailer is a substantial bit of kit and like was said above they almost custom make it for you. At least it feels that way with the amount of information they gave me when I was looking for a trailer.

The only reason I didn't get one was because of the weight which meant I couldn't carry it around the side of the house to store it over winter. Eventually we went for a ERDE lightweight trailer.

Something else to consider is 'if' you ever need to reverse with it attached I suspect that you will need to unhitch it first because it is so very short and will be a sod to control.

Thanks to all for your repies and info. I am thinking of getting a Piaggio m3 3 wheeled 300cc Scooter with a curb wieht of approx 230kgs, if I am going to have a trailer I might as well tow a box trailer and fill with other stuff. I have enough payload to carry on the back its just a matter of making the rack strong enough, I thought this idea might be an alternative. Barrie

If you want to tow a box trailer wouldn't it be easier to buy a caravan and use your car for everyday transport? Just asking as I'm beginning to think about going back to a caravan myself as carrying a scooter on a rack is not feasible due to weight issues. If I have to tow a trailer then the advantages of owning a motorhome over a caravan are diminished.

The benefit of the EZETOW Bike trailer is that it follows the track of the towing vehicle & reduces the overall added length, being side loading.

It does not articulate like a conventional trailer. So when reversing it is much easier.

From their website:-

NEW WHEEL STABILISATION SYSTEM SO EZETOW CAN BE TOWED EMPTY

INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION WITH ADJUSTABLE RIDE HEIGTH, PAYLOAD WEIGHT -: 300 KILOS MAX, DECK WIDTH -: 1800 MM, DECK LENGTH -: 600 MM, DECK HEIGTH -: 500 MM, SPECIAL HITCH -: SUPPLIED, SPARE WHEEL -: SUPPLIED, NEW LIGHTS FITTED -: SUPPLIED, FOLDING RAMP -: SUPPLIED, FINISH -: GALVANISED

DECK WIDTH -: 1800 MM, is across the Van & DECK LENGTH -: 600 MM + shortened Towhitch is length from rear of Van. (I guess total added length is 1 or 1.1metre)

I've used my motorbike trailer quite a few times in Europe and the UK with no problems at all. I have a reversing camera fitted, and on the odd occasion that I've had to back-up I've experienced no trouble. On one occasion I had to reverse around a corner when I took a wrong turn. If the manoeuvre is carried out carefully, then I don't see a problem.

The benefits of taking a motorbike or scooter on your travels far out-weigh any disadvantages in my view. Biking in Europe is a particular pleasure, as anyone who has done it will confirm. 

487473066_Llangenny(2).jpg.578a2f035c277fe9f4e624681ea9a7e3.jpg

363089700_Llangenny(2).jpg.cd554252f454d671f402e108fb1f8a6d.jpg

The issue of reversing a trailer is down to the driver's abilities, training and experience. I used to tow a small (6ft long by 4ft wide) box trailer behind our Iveco (6ft overhang behind rear wheels), an outfit that according to some is virtually impossible to reverse for more than a few feet. I could easily reverse the outfit for over one hundred yards and round two corners and then into the doorway of my workshop. I now tow a large twin axle box trailer of 14ft length and its just as easy to reverse. If you have difficulty reversing a trailer either give it up or get some training.

D.

hymer1942 - 2012-01-19 5:52 PM

Thanks to all for your repies and info. I am thinking of getting a Piaggio m3 3 wheeled 300cc Scooter with a curb wieht of approx 230kgs, if I am going to have a trailer I might as well tow a box trailer and fill with other stuff. I have enough payload to carry on the back its just a matter of making the rack strong enough, I thought this idea might be an alternative. Barrie

We have been carrying a scooter around on a rack now for nearly four years, best thing we have ever done. I agree with those who say it is better to have a caravan than tow anything, but we could not go down this route, we like mountain areas to much so caravan was no good. I would contact either Armitage, which has been suggested or Watling engineering for a rack. We are thinking of changing to a panel van so have been looking at the racks with wheels, Ezetow and Easylifter. We will probably go for Ezetow if we change because the design is simpler and comes with all you need including a spare. For a bike of your weight I would certainly look at these first even if you do have the capacity to have a fixed rack without the wheels. The one problem you may have, which made me ignore these with current van is the swing ratio behind the rear wheels, both add just over a mtr. to the length behind the wheels.

hymer1942 - 2012-01-19 5:52 PM

Don't want to be a party pooper, but have you taken account of self-weight of the rack necessary to carry that scooter? I seem to remember somewhere around 90kg being mentioned for a similar item a while back. Inevitably, it will project behind the rear of your van, placing the combined centre of gravity well behind your rear axle. If I'm right about the rack weight, the total load will be somewhere in the order of 300kg.

I don't know which Hymer 'van you have, so have no idea of the rear overhang, but any load so placed will exert a greater force on the rear axle than the combined weights of scooter plus rack, with the balance being deducted from the force presently on the front axle.

Taking account of leverage, that load seems likely to rise to somewhere around 350kg at the axle, possibly more. So, whereas your MAM may have the capacity for this load, is there sufficient spare carrying capacity on the rear axle?

Bear in mind also that the balance of 50kg (or whatever) will come from the front. Depending on present load distribution, the combined effect of a substantial load behind the rear axle, and a reduced load at the front, may give your van some unexpected handling characteristics.

Final point. The rack will have to be carried on outriggers extending to the rear from the chassis and, bearing in mind the average tow bar is constructed for a down-force at the towball of around 100kg, they will be substantially deeper sections than for a normal tow bar. Unless you are willing to have the rear "bumper" of the van cut or removed, these members will have to pass below that bumper, so will reduce ground clearance at that point. If your van has any more than a purely nominal rear overhang, when the depth of these members is deducted from existing ground clearance, and account is taken of the additional "settle" at the rear of the van due to the scooter load, you may find you experience problems of bottoming-out, where presently there is none.

So, whereas a rack it may well be a viable and practical proposition, I think some calculations and measurements might be a good idea, before committing to either solution.

I've been towing my motorcycle for some years now and wouldn't go to Europe without it. A rack is fine if you want to carry a light scooter or motorbike. My motorbike is 700cc and weighs 240kgs, so a rack is out of the question.

If anyone is to nervous to tow in case they have to reverse with the trailer, you only have to go to an empty industrial car park on a sunday afternoon, put some cones out, and practise to your hearts content.

With a larger capacity motorbike/scooter, you can travel so much further in a day to explore the area your camping in. Two up on a light scooter will struggle generally, despite what some will tell you otherwise.

Archived