Motorbike Rack/Trailer

hymer1942

bob b - 2012-01-20 3:26 PM

I've been towing my motorcycle for some years now and wouldn't go to Europe without it. A rack is fine if you want to carry a light scooter or motorbike. My motorbike is 700cc and weighs 240kgs, so a rack is out of the question.

If anyone is to nervous to tow in case they have to reverse with the trailer, you only have to go to an empty industrial car park on a sunday afternoon, put some cones out, and practise to your hearts content.

With a larger capacity motorbike/scooter, you can travel so much further in a day to explore the area your camping in. Two up on a light scooter will struggle generally, despite what some will tell you otherwise.

While all this is true Bob a car and caravan would be cheaper. As I have said in my previous post this arrangment is no good for some, for us usless, with any trailor you simply cannot go to a lot of places we like. For example last year we did the Route of the high Alps, impossible towing anything. Our light scooter is fine up to about thirty miles around any site we are parked at, it carries us well in the Alps and Pyrenees. It does struggle at times but we are in no hurry and it gets their.

Guest JudgeMental

I do wish people could resist the temptation to start suggesting a bloody awful caravan as a solution for carrying a bike or towing a small car *-)

caravaning is a completely different style of leisure pursuit and I am sure all on here have decided its not for them....With very good reasoning IMO:-S

Barrie, are you considering the Piaggio 3 because yo dont have a bike licence? I would think it easier to sign up for week long lesson/test package and get a lighter/cheaper 2 wheel bike

JudgeMental - 2012-01-20 5:26 PM

I do wish people could resist the temptation to start suggesting a bloody awful caravan as a solution for carrying a bike or towing a small car *-)

caravaning is a completely different style of leisure pursuit and I am sure all on here have decided its not for them....With very good reasoning IMO:-S

Barrie, are you considering the Piaggio 3 because yo dont have a bike licence? I would think it easier to sign up for week long lesson/test package and get a lighter/cheaper 2 wheel bike

Judge...............I'm not sure you have read the whole thread but the original poster is buying a box trailer to tow his motorbike. A box trailer is not that dissimilar to a caravan so if you go to the bother of buying a box trailer you might as well get a caravan. That is the basis of my caravan comment.

hymer1942 - 2012-01-20 6:39 PM

Mike 88 you should look at the original thread again no mention of a BOX

This is what you wrote yesterday....................."......................if I am going to have a trailer I might as well tow a box trailer and fill with other stuff."

pepe63 - 2012-01-19 1:38 PM

Flicka..

Can I ask,what route did you go down in the end?...

Weren't you looking at something like this..but with the intention of "boxing it in"..?

Chris

Hi Pepe

We have a development of the EZETOW currently on order, due next month.

It will have a extended depth Platform ( front to back) & a 3' x4'x4' Box,(for my wife's electric wheelchair) with roller shutter doors either side. So I can load from whichever side required.

I have had a visit to Ezetow, & discussed what we wanted / envisaged with Peter (Ezetow), who has been very helpful & spent a lot of time exploring possibilities / solutions.

Obviously all of that impacts on cost, but it will give us exactly what we need.

For us it will have many advantages, wheelchair security (required by insurance), much easier to reverse, minimum addition to overall length (M/H & trailer, I will be able to keep the trailer hooked up to the van on site pitches, etc..

Also it will have a big storage space saving when the trailer is not in use.

It will add c1.5m to our total length, vis a vis the minimum "standard drawbar trailer" would add a minimum 3.5m, for the same size Box, with only rear loading.

Hopefully I will be able to post some photo's. :-S :-S when I have collected it.

hymer1942 - 2012-01-20 5:45 PM

Hi Brian and Eddie. Brian first you need a HYmer motorhome to be in the HCI. Eddie the reason I am looking at the MP3 is my other half was not happy on our last 125 Honda and I thought the 3 wheeled MP 3 might be a better option. Barrie

Hi Barrie

when you decide on a rack / trailer just one thing to check is the actual channel that the bike fits in. This applies to racks as the loading ramp is the same width as the carrying channel on the rack itself. These are designed mainly for 2 wheel bikes. I am aware of the bike you are considering and you need to check the width of the two wheel 'end' of the bike and make sure this will actually fit / load ok.

Some manufacturers will change the normal channel width to accomadate wider bikes.

Mr B

:-)

Guest JudgeMental
flicka - 2012-01-20 8:47 PM

It will have a extended depth Platform ( front to back) & a 3' x4'x4' Box,(for my wife's electric wheelchair) with roller shutter doors either side. So I can load from whichever side required.

I have had a visit to Ezetow, & discussed what we wanted / envisaged with Peter (Ezetow), who has been very helpful & spent a lot of time exploring possibilities / solutions.

Obviously all of that impacts on cost, but it will give us exactly what we need.

Hi Flicka, so you definitely have the rear axle capacity and spare payload for this?

Hi Pepe

.... with roller shutter doors either side. So I can load from whichever side required...

For us it will have many advantages, wheelchair security (required by insurance), much easier to reverse, minimum addition to overall length (M/H & trailer, I will be able to keep the trailer hooked up to the van on site pitches, etc..

It will add c1.5m to our total length, vis a vis the minimum "standard drawbar trailer" would add a minimum 3.5m, for the same size Box, with only rear loading.

Hopefully I will be able to post some photo's. :-S :-S when I have collected it.

Thanks for the "update" flicka(..I was being a bit nosey.. :$ )

From your description,it sounds as if it'll be pretty impressive..(..it does make you wonder why there aren't more "off the shelf" units like it..? )

JudgeMental - 2012-01-23 12:12 PM

Hi Flicka, so you definitely have the rear axle capacity and spare payload for this?

Yes, checked that out Eddie, it is only the noseweight of the Ezetow Trailer. Bulk of the weight transfers to the trailer wheels.

Archived