Nasa Battery Monitor

korky24

Hi there,

I am looking at fitting one of these.

The BM1 is suitable for up to 100 amp load/charge.

The BM2 is suitable for up to 200 amp load/charge but dearer.

I have 2 x LFD90 leisure batteries and a starter battery of similar capacity. I do not envisage adding solar at any point or upping my battery capacity, and do not run any high load appliances in the van,lighting is all led.

Will the BM1 be sufficient for the task? I've asked Nasa but they just repeat the load/charge capacities.

Many thanks, Korky.

I have one of these in a boat with similar battery and load configurations. It works well, giving a much better indication of charge current/discharge current, as well as state of charge, than you can get from just measuring voltage.

It basically requires a shunt which comes with it to be connected to the negative side of your habitation batteries, and 3 wires taken to the monitor.

I would not be without it in the boat - and I was about to order one for the motorhome.

I have just returned from Spain and spending nights in aires I felt vulnerable not knowing how charged the batteries were.

The NASA monitors are great bits of kit, and unless you are running an Inverter over 1KW, you will find the BM1 to be perfectly acceptable. Without an inverter, you will get nowhere near 100A (eg 1200W).

See here for a fitting idea for the display:

https://photos.veletron.com/picture.php?/168/category/222

The BM1 has two channels for measuring the voltage - one for the leisure battery and one for the started battery. It does not include a second shunt for the starter battery though - it simply measures the voltage.

Archived