New Ducato Oil Change Limp Mode

John52

Just quoting from the handbook of my new fangled Ducato

DECAYED ENGINE OIL

(Multijet versions with DPF only)

The warning light starts to flash together with an alert on the display (for versions/markets where provided) when the system detects that the engine oil has deteriorated.

If the warning light flashes, this does not mean that the vehicle is faulty, but simply informs the driver that it is now necessary to change the engine oil as a result of regular vehicle use. If the oil is not changed, warning light # will come on and engine operation is limited to 3000 rpm when a second threshold is reached. If the oil is still not changed when a third deterioration threshold is reached, the engine is limited to 1500 rpm to prevent damage.

Robinhood - 2021-05-29 8:59 AM

You might try this:

It comes with no recommendation or verification from me, since I use Multiecuscan, but the comments indicate that it works (at least for some).

Sounds like it might work, Thanks.

I have seen many suggestions that apparently only work with earlier models.

But that one apparently works with one that uses adblu like mine.

I tried it to see if it would reset the mileage before next scheduled service, but it hasn't.

Still says service due at the same 29,732miles

Hopefully will reset the oil change due though and get it out of limp mode.

Will have to wait for the oil change message before I can try it :-S

I'm not sure I would have gone through that process unless/until it was accompanied by an oil-change.

If it is functional, there is a good chance it will have reset the oil-degradation data, and it will now be out of step with the actual condition of the oil.

It probably won't matter over-much if you are going to change the oil anyway on a time- (and lowish-mileage) basis, but something to bear in mind/remember.

The Ducato has two "service" intervals, oil service and vehicle service, and these may well go asynchronous depending on mileage and usage conditions (i.e. it is possible for an oil-change, based on monitored status, to be required before the vehicle service interval).

On my last two 'vans (and I very much suspect it will be the same on yours) the remaining mileage to either requirement can be checked via the "mode" button and the up/down buttons.

Stepping through the mode options will initially offer you the general vehicle service interval as one of the options (under "Service"). Whilst the mileage for this is displayed, pressing the down button then displays the interval to oil-change (and if this is now radically different to your general service mileage, and depending on the amount of miles you've done, might indicate that the interval has been reset).

At service time, if accompanied by an oil-change, both intervals have to be separately reset. (Though, although not resetting the oil-change interval can ultimately lead to limp-mode, AIUI (unverified) the general service reminder still eventually disappears after some miles (a good few), and not resetting it has no deleterious effect on driving.

Robinhood - 2021-05-30 3:16 PM

The Ducato has two "service" intervals, oil service and vehicle service, and these may well go asynchronous depending on mileage and usage conditions (i.e. it is possible for an oil-change, based on monitored status, to be required before the vehicle service interval).

On my last two 'vans (and I very much suspect it will be the same on yours) the remaining mileage to either requirement can be checked via the "mode" button and the up/down buttons.

Stepping through the mode options will initially offer you the general vehicle service interval as one of the options (under "Service"). Whilst the mileage for this is displayed, pressing the down button then displays the interval to oil-change (and if this is now radically different to your general service mileage, and depending on the amount of miles you've done, might indicate that the interval has been reset).

Thanks for the update - I had missed that and not discovered that service and oil change mileage are different.

Jut looked and there is now only one mile difference between the service mileage and the oil change mileage. Since I did not see the oil change mileage before following the instructions in the you-tube video, I don't know if it has made any difference. I will try it again when I have driven a significant mileage.. I will change the oil after a year or so anyway so it doesn't matter if the oil change mileage is reset.

I use a chromebook for internet inc banking, my PC's and laptops are ancient and still running Windows XP SP3 - I tried later versions of Windows inc Windows10 and found my programmes wouldn't work on them, so went back to XP :$

So I don't know whether my laptops (or I :$ ) would be up to using Multi ECU Scan, and would prefer the you-tube fix if it works.

Multiecuscan purports to run on XP SP2 (and presumably above):

https://www.multiecuscan.net/

You can download and install the free version of the package from the above site, and test it by running in simulation mode. (The free version does certain things in full mode, but you really need the licensed version for constructive use).

It isn't any practical use without the appropriate adapters/connectors - the full "CAN-only" package (licenced software and connectors) relevant to the x/290 costs £99.95 from Gendan. You'd need to check if the USB adapter/interface is supported on XP, Gendan are pretty good with info and support and imply it might/should, but they won't support OS-based issues).

At this price, you get pretty comprehensive diagnostic/setting/resetting capability.

I haven't found it particularly difficult to use (YMMV), and have reset service intervals and diagnosed/reset a number of transient faults.

I have MultiEcuScan on a dedicated Asus notebook running Windows XP2, and it works fine. If I hadn't repurposed it for diagnostic use, it would long ago have been consigned to the scrapheap, being around 15 years old and too slow, lacking in suitable ports and connections for other purposes. Since it never connects to the internet or is used for anything else, I have no worries about XP end of life.

The oil degradation counter reset and service reset are two separate functions. Although Fiat indicate a headline oil change interval by mileage, the handbooks for current vehicles say "in any case at least every 2 years, or as indicated by the dashboard oil change message". In other words, intervals may be considerably lower than the headline figure depending on usage conditions.

Bear in mind if you are "playing" with the reset or other functions, they are all logged to the engine and body ECUs by last used time and distance and the total number of resets performed, and easily retrieved by a Fiat dealer. Worth bearing in mind in case of any warranty claims where an excessive number of resets or apparent oil changes might raise a query and possibly a request for proof of work carried out and materials used if they don't appear to align with time or mileage based intervals, or records of oil change request activations by the engine ECU. ;-)

Deneb - 2021-05-31 9:10 AM

I have MultiEcuScan on a dedicated Asus notebook running Windows XP2, and it works fine. If I hadn't repurposed it for diagnostic use, it would long ago have been consigned to the scrapheap, being around 15 years old and too slow, lacking in suitable ports and connections for other purposes. Since it never connects to the internet or is used for anything else, I have no worries about XP end of life.

The oil degradation counter reset and service reset are two separate functions. Although Fiat indicate a headline oil change interval by mileage, the handbooks for current vehicles say "in any case at least every 2 years, or as indicated by the dashboard oil change message". In other words, intervals may be considerably lower than the headline figure depending on usage conditions.

Bear in mind if you are "playing" with the reset or other functions, they are all logged to the engine and body ECUs by last used time and distance and the total number of resets performed, and easily retrieved by a Fiat dealer. Worth bearing in mind in case of any warranty claims where an excessive number of resets or apparent oil changes might raise a query and possibly a request for proof of work carried out and materials used if they don't appear to align with time or mileage based intervals, or records of oil change request activations by the engine ECU. ;-)

Thanks for the reply - sounds like a plan B if I can't reset the oil change mileage with the you tube method.

Is yours Euro 6?

Probably a daft question but is there anything on MultiEcuScan that would turn off 'intelligent' charging so it charges the batteries normally?

John52 - 2021-05-31 6:48 PM

Thanks for the reply - sounds like a plan B if I can't reset the oil change mileage with the you tube method.

Is yours Euro 6?

Probably a daft question but is there anything on MultiEcuScan that would turn off 'intelligent' charging so it charges the batteries normally?

No, E5+. It went down the line after E6 production started due to an intervening factory shutdown so is a bit of a hybrid in some respects, but I put my foot down and held out for an E5+ model. I believe all X290s have the oil degradation software though.

I very much doubt there is any way to alter the charging system, certainly not easily and the way that BMS systems are interlinked you would possibly find that other functions on the van were disabled as a result. A E6 compatible B2B charger really seems to be the easiest and simplest way to go, and will have no adverse affect on the function of the base vehicle systems.

I'm not sure I would have gone through that process unless/until it was accompanied by an oil-change.

If it is functional, there is a good chance it will have reset the oil-degradation data, and it will now be out of step with the actual condition of the oil.

If the engine can really check the oil condition and not just work off the mileage When the oils been changed Why can't it sense the new oil and reset its self ?

witzend - 2021-06-03 2:54 PM

If the engine can really check the oil condition and not just work off the mileage When the oils been changed Why can't it sense the new oil and reset its self ?

....Because it doesn't actually check the oil condition. The level of degradation is calculated from usage condition parameters over time, and is thus a rough representation of the oil's state.

Resetting the oil-service interval simply restarts that calculation from the baseline.

witzend - 2021-06-03 2:54 PM

It can't analyse the oil. It's a software calculation that makes an assumption on the oil condition based on information if can monitor, which includes ambient and engine temperatures, trip durations, rpm, passive and active regenerations and various other data that the engine ECU continuously monitors from different sensors. The type of DPF regeneration that the engine ECU initiates on any specific occasion is also determined by similar data monitoring assessed against several driving patterns, so the data is already available.

The calculations restart assuming a sump full of new oil to the correct specification when the counter is reset. If it isn't reset when the oil is changed, the ECU assumes the oil condition is as calculated before the new oil was added, resulting in premature assessment of poor oil condition. Conversely, if the counter is reset without changing the oil it will assume the oil to be in better condition than may actually be the case.

Modern diesel oils are engineered to accept certain levels of pollution and fuel dilution, which occur during use due to the emission control system operation. Premium oils may barely meet the minimum ACEA specification after dilution and contamination to industry accepted levels and the long interval, high mileage change intervals only really apply to vehicles continuously used under optimum conditions, which is why the degradation counters are considered necessary.

Oh from reading your quote above I believed You actually Though it was reading the oils condition. We do sample all our oils regularly on our heavy plant and only change when recommended by the lab reports which very often give us much more usage from our lubricates and notifies us of any wear early before a failure occurs

Deneb explains it well for you to understand posted while I was replying

• 3 weeks later...
Robinhood - 2021-05-29 8:59 AM

You might try this:

It comes with no recommendation or verification from me, since I use Multiecuscan, but the comments indicate that it works (at least for some).

It appears to work, Thanks.

Just done it and the miles to the next oil change was increased

(although the mileage to the next service stayed the same)

Interesting, I've just checked with the Fiat Service agent who changed my oil with a major service in Sept 2019, Its only done 3050 miles since then and I've got the change oil warning light lit.But no limp mode yet. Why I asked and is there a problem with the oil, It's MoT etc is not due til early September and surely I don't need to get an oil change before that?

I was told as long as I get it done in the next few months and not put alot of mileage on it'll be ok. So I suppose from the above, the question is did they reset the oil service last time

cheers

Archived