New mh. First trip And litter problem nobody waved

Colin1325

Hi all well it happened we found our m. H. Three days of work on her and we were off on a two night first trip collyford lake on Bodmin Moor was the destination... Being just a short trip for us approx 40 miles from home in Cornwall.. It was our first time in a M. H. And the first time for me driving anything bigger than a citroen piccasso.. I was nervous but all went well just took our time drove her most of the time at 1500 to 2500 revs... Top speed 50ish.. She's only done 23000 miles. She's superb.. Found a niggle or two.. Water started to appear from underneath a cupboard by the sink?? Lovely. In cupboard I quickly found that the cold / hot tap fitting, s was dripping wen water pump left on... ANY HELP ON THIS APPRECIATED.. glad we did this short trip as it gave us a chance to get a feel for the van.. Arrived late 10. 30 ish.. parked nicely on a slope?????? didn't want to fiddle about and disturb one and all.. so just put and suffered.. Next morning we moved to flat ground... Took dogs for a walk and started a new hobby.. PICKING UP LITTER.. left by previous mh. Mers dog poo left in bag??? Ended up with quite a collection of cans paper etc.. This is a FREE PARKING.. large gravelled parking area with cattle and sheep roaming freely.. And there are idiots leaving their rubbish for one and all to see and animals browse on... Wat are we coming too.. Later in the day some other guys came and went and I added more to my collection.. Another overnighter arrived. Set up his campervan on wood to level it. Gone the next day but left some more bits for our collection.. COME ON PEOPLE.. pick it up or loose these free parking spots.. What are these people's house like who do this to our beautiful country side.

WHAT DO YOU THINK IS IS A GOOD IDEA TO LEAVE SPOTS LIKE THIS HOW YOU WOULD LIKE TO FIND EM.? OR DOESN'T ANYONE GIVE A DAM ANYMORE...

The litter is not a new problem, I have lost count of the rubbish I have picked up over the years.

The tap drip/leak is probably a loose jubilee clip or "O" ring seal n the connector, there are a few different arrangements. If it's leaking at the jubilee clip cut 1/2" off and remake the joint, if it's the "O" ring you can get a new one from the plumbers merchant.

H

Living in Cornwall you should know - it happens every summer down here.

It seems a lot of people love to visit, but sadly bring their bad habits with them.

Good on you for having a tidy up :-)

I'll probably be doing the same at Widemouth Bay this weekend!

The fitting looks”like hard plastic pipe with I thiink black plastic quick push fit type affair have got a pic but on my phone will send later,, prob being it in a cupboard that is a foot wide and need some one with arms lol. Might help if I could get down on the floor and back up again without pulling something or even bursting a blood vessel i may try to look see tomorrow colin ps if it is one of these quick release / fit jobs can I just tighten something or replace cheers

Colin1325 - 2019-06-13 12:53 AM

Can I post a pic here .?

See this thread, it should help.

When we first started using a MH in 1991, the occupants of other MHs waved when passing. These days if we wave, the just look at us as though we are suffering from senile dementure. We have virtually given up initiating waving.

Alan

flyboyprowler - 2019-06-13 8:51 AM

Most of our travelling is in Europe and the litter situation varies considerably. Spain at the moment and the rubbish is everywhere! France better, especially on Aires.

Waving, well most people are friendly but the Brit vans are generally dire!

Dire? I'm generally pretty friendly, but I've never understood why you would wave at a complete stranger simply because you are driving a vaguely similar vehicle.

aandy - 2019-06-13 10:17 AM

Most of our travelling is in Europe and the litter situation varies considerably. Spain at the moment and the rubbish is everywhere! France better, especially on Aires.

Dire? I'm generally pretty friendly, but I've never understood why you would wave at a complete stranger simply because you are driving a vaguely similar vehicle.

Dire's maybe a bit strong, and no offence meant. The waving bit, well meant as an acknowledgement of a like minded person in a similar vehicle. Also prevalent in motorcycle circles.

12 months ago we changed from campervan to motorhome and were surprised that other users were waving to us. We are use to it now and happy to join in with a wave and a smile. We travel only in the uk and find most people respond with a wave and a smile from driver and passenger..

Keen Canary.

aandy - 2019-06-13 9:17 AM

Ditto.

I think that there’s a tendency for some to think that because they’re a nice person driving a motorhome then that all motorhome drivers are the same when in fact given the tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands? – someone will have an actual figure for the EU) on the roads, there will be the usual cross section of society from slime balls to genuinely friendly honest and reliable types. It’s a matter of personal choice I guess. One thing’s for certain though, driving a motorhome doesn’t make someone a PLU.

hi all thanx for the replys i must admit my wife thought i was crazy to wave at strangers lol but i am so its ok the litter thing makes me maddd no need for it is there BUT .... not a lot of people have joined me to agree so maybe there are quite a few out there YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE ,, YES YOU ,, that sneak the odd barb b q cinders to the corner of that car park or accidently drop that wet wipe colin

flyboyprowler - 2019-06-13 9:51 AM

Dire's maybe a bit strong, and no offence meant. The waving bit, well meant as an acknowledgement of a like minded person in a similar vehicle. Also prevalent in motorcycle circles.

No offence taken. I never used to wave when I had a bike, either.

Reminds me of something once said by my brother, who came to bikes fairly late in life. He never returned a wave, on the basis that releasing his grip on the bars to operate the clutch or brake was terrifying enough, he certainly wasn't going to lift his whole hand. Needless to say, it didn't take him long to decide that they were not for him

aandy - 2019-06-13 3:22 PM

flyboyprowler - 2019-06-13 9:51 AM

No offence taken. I never used to wave when I had a bike, either.

Reminds me of something once said by my brother, who came to bikes fairly late in life. He never returned a wave, on the basis that releasing his grip on the bars to operate the clutch or brake was terrifying enough, he certainly wasn't going to lift his whole hand. Needless to say, it didn't take him long to decide that they were not for him

Funnily enough, here in Spain, because we drive on the right, it's easier just to lift the clutch hand rather than the throttle *-)

This waving thing i stopped doing it when i discovered that when on site you are treated like a leper.even at the washing up place you are lucky to get a good evening.Plus i agree with the previous blog their are so many m/homes on the road whats the big deal? *-)

In my travels I have decided the two worst first world countries for litter are Italy, particularly in the south and my own country Australia. Some years ago a guy called Ian Kiernan started a "clean up Australia Day" as he was discusted by the amount of litter on the sides of our highways. It still happens once a year however regrettably the litter still mounts up for the volunteers to collect on the big day each year. Littering is a common complaint on the AU forums. Cheers,

Just returning from 2 months in Europe, 7 countries and the litter problem in the UK is the worst. On service areas on most foreign motorways you can’t move for litter bins. Here, you have to search for one, and risk life and limb from passing trafficto get to it , when you do find one. But no excuse for just dropping it.

Archived