Noisy Autoquest Water Pumps

bond38

The Pump only runs when a tap or the shower is turned on, However if it is very noisy you could mount the pump on a rubber base or even get an accumulator.(link below) Is this your first Motorhome after a caravan ? Only Caravans use a differant system, they have a submersable pump which is outside the van, and actually sunk into the water, so, much quieter, but more vulnerable and not as long lasting (normally).

We just got used to ours, which is buried under a bed box. Ray

http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.uk/fresh-water-tanks/fiamma-a20-expansion-tank-119-p.html?gclid=CPvEqZ6JtcgCFUJAGwodXfgJqg

I'd be surprised if an accumulator would be effective in reducing pump noise because the pump still has to cycle X times to pump Y quantity of water. The diaphragm in the accumulator can help to smoothen the flow, reducing pulsing of the water flow at the tap, and the pump run time may be shifted to start shortly after the tap has been opened and to stop shortly after the tap has been closed but it will still cycle the same number of times and create the same noise.

Ours is noisy in the toilet but is acceptable. sounds like it's behind the toilet wall, which figures as the filler cap is on the outside wall just behind the toilet. Sometimes I can hear the pipes clicking/tapping if the pump is switching on and off as they expand and contract slightly.

My Autoquest pump was a whale. It was machine-gun noisy despite all the sponge and alterations I tried. Then, after 2 years of torture it did the honourable thing and burnt out! It was still under warranty but the dealer, not having a direct replacement, fitted a Flojet pump. What a difference - it just purrs along with no vibrations or rattling anywhere in the van. It can still be heard, but can almost be ignored.

The quoted pump pressure is the same as the original, but the flow rate is slightly less. I'm sure I read somewhere that the original pump was rated for two consecutive outlets, whereas the new one is rated for only one. The flow is slightly slower but you wouldn't notice without the original to compare to. My conclusion is that the standard Autoquest pump is more powerful than needed, and I'm delighted to forgo a little flow rate for a lot of peace.

The pump is a positive displacement pump, it will be make a noise. Not to be compared with a central heating pump is a circulating pump so does not make hardly any noise.

Your pump should be fastened to sturdy wall or partition, the screws that hold it on should go through rubber feet. If the screws are too tight the rubber wiil be over compressed and not cusion the vibration, if the screws ard not tight enough the pump will shake around and rattle. Adjust the screws until it makes the least noise is achieved. If your pump has not got rubber feet I am afraid you will beed to make some out of a suitable piece of rubber. Possibly rubber grommets sandwhiched between to washers.

Before you do anything find someone with a similar van and ask if you can listen to their pump. You will probably find theirs is just same as yours.

If the pipes are clcking under pressure they may be to tightly clamped. Have a play around with the clamps or just get used to it.

bond38

I notice that you’ve asked about this twice before.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Noisy-wElddis-water-pumps/37198/

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Noisy-Elddis-Water-Pump/38917/

Certain steps can be taken to reduce the noise produced by a pressure-sensitive pump, but there comes a point where - if the noise made by the existing pump cannot be tolerated - replaciing that pump with a different make (or model) of pump (as everhopeful did) may be the best solution.

bond38

Can you say, please, which make and model of water-pump is fitted to your motorhome?

In July I guessed that the pump would be a Whale product (as Whale equipment is used in motorhomes by Elddis) and everhopeful says that his Autoquest’s pump had been Whale-made. If that were the case then it’s likely that the “Watermaster” model of pump would be fitted to a 2015 motorome

http://www.whalepumps.com/rv/siteFiles/resources/docs/resource-library/cmcc_pshaw_WatermasterPumpdatasheetnocrops30-1-13.pdf

If the make/model of pump can be established (I would have thought there must be something in the documentation provided with your motorhome to identify the pump) it may be possible to say whether that particular pump has a reputation for being noisy, or whether the noise is more likely to be due to the installation rather than the pump itself.

I’ve owned three motorhomes, all fitted with the same model of SHURflo “Trail King” pressure-sensitive water pump. The 1st motorhome had the pump installed in an underseat locker where it was well insulated and quite quiet. The 2nd motorhome had the pump floor-mounted, buried in a restricted space beneath the fixed bed, and there was a bit more noise. The 3rd motorhome - my current Rapido - has a large fresh-water tank beneath the fixed bed and the pump is attached to the top of the tank. This position makes the pump very accessible, but the water tank acts like a drum and there’s consequently much more noise when the pump is running. The noise is instrusive, but there’s not much I can do about it unless I relocate the pump. As the water-pump is only running now and again I can live with the racket it makes (and my wife doesn’t seem to care about the noise). I can understand, though, that other people might be more sensitive to pump-noise (and less tolerant) particularly, say, when a noisy pump is providing water to flush the toilet during a night-time visit.

bond38 - 2015-10-09 8:57 AM

We have a 2015 model autoquest 175 and the water pump seems very noisy. We returned the van to the dealer who fitted a replacement which is no quieter. Is this normal and if so can anyone recommend a cure?

The poster should perhaps consider that his tiny pump has to pass many litres of water through narrow piping to a height of 6-7 ft if he has a shower head. Quite a feat me thinks.

Whatever make/model and type of water-pump used in a shower-equipped motorhome, that pump will need to provide an acceptable flow of water to the vehicle’s shower head. A submersible pump should be intrinsically quieter than a pressure-sensitive diaphragm pump, but (from what everhopeful has said) Flojet diaphragm pumps are particularly quiet examples of the latter type.

Bond38 is plainly unhappy with the noise made by the original and replacement pumps fitted to his Elddis motorhome. If he identifies the make/model of pump involved (I'm assuming that the dealer replaced the original pump on a like-for-like basis) it may be possible to establish whether that pump is known to be noisy. If that proves to be the case, there’s unlikely to be any cure other than to do as everhopeful did and choose a different make (or type) of pump.

Archived