North Norfolk District Council

hallii

Well, we managed to go for a break, shorter than we intended. We found NNDC car parks wanted to charge £7 for a day parking near a beach but on some carparks they charge motorhomes £10! There are plenty of height barriers so you can only use certain car parks. Every parking place seems to have a notice indicating that you are not allowed to sleep in a vehicle, or indeed park overnight. Camp sites were very busy, and asking £20 - £30 a night. Worst of all was the crowding at sea side towns, coupled with the seeming indifference to any sort of social distancing we simply had to have our wits about us and swerve and veer our way around. By the way, I strongly object to having to walk in the road so a bl**dy god, sorry dog, can walk on the footpath on a 20 foot invisible lead. Beaches with "No dogs" signs obviously does not apply to dogs that are off lead since they can run and crap anywhere.

My apologies to responsible dog owners who do not do any of the above, no doubt the minority of dog owners are giving the rest a bad name.

As regards North Norfolk, I won't go back, ever, roll on the end of covid so I can spend my money in France.

Rant over for now.

H

Unfortunately motorhomes are simply not welcome in tourist areas of UK and local authorities expect them to use campsites and nowhere else - and campsites in UK are too thin on the ground to have to compete on price so they all over-charge compared with those on the Continent, which typically cost half the price or less. The UK sites probably also have to pay higher business costs that on the Continent but even so the fundamental problem is that there just aren't enough campsites to meet demand and the planning laws only allow 5 Van Sites (i.e. CLs, CSs) as the alternative so there are no Aires, for which there would obviously be demand if the law (and local authorities) allowed.

As you say, the answer is to go abroad, which is what we usually do and what we'll be doing again as soon as COVID-19 is under proper control.

Its all to do with size and is unavoidable and there's little anyone can do about it ... size matters with the UK close to its limit for van parking occupancy. With Covid lasting several further years France will see their coastal towns banning visitors next.

Your observations are spot on. We're in North Norfolk right now and suffer the same experiences as yourself, particularly around social distancing. I'm fearful that eventually I will grab somebody by the throat and scream "TWO BL**DY METRES" at them. Nobody makes the lightest effort to create spacing, and you're right about the dogs as well.

We don't live far away and due to the uncertainties regarding Covid-9 are having a break here rather than do things properly across the channel. I concluded a long time ago that the UK is caravan country, and when the times comes to give up touring in mainland Europe we'll sell the motorhome rather than tour the UK.

I look at this as our 'Hello & Goodbye' tour of the North Norfolk Coast.

StuartO - 2020-09-13 4:05 PM

Unfortunately motorhomes are simply not welcome in tourist areas of UK and local authorities expect them to use campsites and nowhere else - and campsites in UK are too thin on the ground to have to compete on price so they all over-charge compared with those on the Continent, which typically cost half the price or less. The UK sites probably also have to pay higher business costs that on the Continent but even so the fundamental problem is that there just aren't enough campsites to meet demand and the planning laws only allow 5 Van Sites (i.e. CLs, CSs) as the alternative so there are no Aires, for which there would obviously be demand if the law (and local authorities) allowed.

As you say, the answer is to go abroad, which is what we usually do and what we'll be doing again as soon as COVID-19 is under proper control.

Your first point is a gross generalisation as is your point about overcharging.

Last September we stayed on a fully serviced pitch on a lovely site in Devon with its own beach for £12 a night.

The following month we stayed on a hard standing pitch with ehu between Filey and Scarborough for £9 a night. The touring area was separate from the holiday park but we could use all facilities including indoor heated pool as part of the fees.

Both these sites gave direct access to coastal paths.

We have very rarely had problems parking our 5.65 m pvc in tourist areas.

hallii - 2020-09-13 3:42 PM

Well, we managed to go for a break, shorter than we intended. We found NNDC car parks wanted to charge £7 for a day parking near a beach but on some carparks they charge motorhomes £10! There are plenty of height barriers so you can only use certain car parks. Every parking place seems to have a notice indicating that you are not allowed to sleep in a vehicle, or indeed park overnight. Camp sites were very busy, and asking £20 - £30 a night. Worst of all was the crowding at sea side towns, coupled with the seeming indifference to any sort of social distancing we simply had to have our wits about us and swerve and veer our way around. By the way, I strongly object to having to walk in the road so a bl**dy god, sorry dog, can walk on the footpath on a 20 foot invisible lead. Beaches with "No dogs" signs obviously does not apply to dogs that are off lead since they can run and crap anywhere.

My apologies to responsible dog owners who do not do any of the above, no doubt the minority of dog owners are giving the rest a bad name.

As regards North Norfolk, I won't go back, ever, roll on the end of covid so I can spend my money in France.

Rant over for now.

H

We had no problems in North Norfolk last year apart from Wells next the Sea being very congested regarding on street parking.

We were able to park on a cliff top at Cromer in a huge cliff top car park for a reasonable price. Any size motorhome could park there.

We weren't wanting to park overnight in a car park. (Why would we?) We also felt that the prices we paid for campsites were perfectly acceptable.

Incidentally, what would you consider to be a reasonable price for a campsite? (You didn't state what "season" you visited.)

We have a motorhome, last year we had 13 weeks away in the UK, dined out three times a week when at home, we don't have passports, March this year, MOT, service, new oil sump, change brake fluid, insurance, road tax, 2 new tyres. Distance travelled this year? 150 miles MAX. We only go out shopping once or twice a week, (in the car).

WHAT? do folk not understand about staying at home, and not dying from Covid 19?

Do they have some kind of death wish? We have been married 48 years this month and we don't want to loose each other to some "****head", who can't judge 2 metres distance, be bothered to wash his hands, or wear a face covering where required.

STAY AT HOME, We have saved loads of money this year in fees and diesel, more to spend

next year, only if it's safe though. If this post offends, no apology given or implied.

RANT OVER!!!!!

Steve.

Some of this thread is like raging against the weather.

‘People are not physical distancing’. So, move away!

‘Car parks are too dear’. So, don’t use them.

‘France is better’. So, go there instead!

‘I get soaked by the rain’. So, wear a mac!

‘Campsites are too dear’. So, go to a hotel!

We've just come back and the site charged £9 a night for pitch, water, Elson point and a dustbin for the general waste ;-) beautiful weather was chucked in for free.

The pub set ups was amazing and we found the experience so reassuring, The site rules were good, but we also found the locals wanted to move close to talk and found it strange that we backed off.

we'll be back :-D

StuartO - 2020-09-13 4:05 PM

Unfortunately motorhomes are simply not welcome in tourist areas of UK

Last week we were in The Peak District and this week in the Barmouth area. These experiences are current examples which completely refute your statement. (No doubt there are many others.)

Any size motorhome can park at the showground in Bakewell.

Any size motorhome can park along the huge promenade in Barmouth at exactly the same cost as even the tiniest car.

Motorhomes as well as cars can park free of charge at Fairbourne point.

However, I suspect that you and "hallii" won't be satisfied with these as motorhomes are not allowed to park overnight.

At least those owners who don't want to holiday in UK will be allowing more space for those who appreciate the beauties of UK, many of whom have also travelled extensively overseas.

Archived