RHD headlight change

Tony M

Hi all,

I know this topic has been covered before but as far as I can tell, without a definite conclusion.

The problem is that I will be collecting my new lhd Globecar from Germany next week and would like to get the replacement rhd headlights ordered. The van has the led running lights incorporated and as I only want the new lights to get through the registration process I would prefer to buy the ones with the conventional bulb as a running light. So....... Does anyone know yet if the wiring harness is the same for the different lights? I would have thought so but it would be nice to have confirmation. Incidentally the van is a Citroen but I assume the Fiat and Peugeot variants all have the same harness.

Thanks,

Tony

You may be able to get away with just sticking beam deflectors to the headlights.

I've seen many LHD British registered vehicles with this type of arrangement, so they must be able to get through the MOT.

However, when I imported a LHD Hymer, I did purchase replacement UK headlights but found out later that this was possibly not necessary. I also purchased a MPH speedo but found out later that an overlay would have been acceptable.

Mind you, things change so hopefully someone will come along with a definitive answer.

You are right about beam deflectors being ok for the Mot but theses days you have to supply evidence to the DVLA that the headlights have been changed. It's an expensive excercise as I will put the original ones back on afterwards as we only use our vans abroad.

Guest pelmetman
Tony M - 2016-01-25 1:56 PM

You are right about beam deflectors being ok for the Mot

If that's the case? :-S ............Some folk are going to be right miffed having shelled out the best part of a grand for new headlights 8-) ..........

Before you purchase a replacement UK light cluster, it may be worth checking if the existing LHD headlights can be adjusted for UK conditions. Some vehicles come with a lever at the back of the headlight for this purpose.

My Hella dipped headlights (on a UK spec 2010 LHD German van) can be adjusted from the asymmetric LHD dipped headlight beam pattern to a symmetrical beam pattern suitable for use in the UK. OK, you don't get the increased illumination of the nearside kerbline when used in the UK but neither do you cause any glare for oncoming traffic.

If this facility is available on your new van, then perhaps the DVLA would accept this as proof, backed up by a report to this effect from a MOT test station.

Tony M - 2016-01-25 10:47 AM

Hi all,

I know this topic has been covered before but as far as I can tell, without a definite conclusion.

The problem is that I will be collecting my new lhd Globecar from Germany next week and would like to get the replacement rhd headlights ordered. The van has the led running lights incorporated and as I only want the new lights to get through the registration process I would prefer to buy the ones with the conventional bulb as a running light. So....... Does anyone know yet if the wiring harness is the same for the different lights? I would have thought so but it would be nice to have confirmation. Incidentally the van is a Citroen but I assume the Fiat and Peugeot variants all have the same harness.

Thanks,

Tony

Hello.

I can advise you that the wiring harness is the same on all Peugeot, Citroen and Fiat vehicles of similar ages and irrespective of the type of DRL fitted. However; be aware that the headlamps of Fiat vehicles have clear lenses and there is often a darkened lower edge to the Peugeot/Citroen lamps, so they won't look the same.

If you substitute one type of DRL for another, for example; if you swap some LED DRL lamps for some relatively cheaper non LED lamps you will get a warning on the dash stating that there is a problem and an amber warning lamp will be illuminated. The type of headlamp fitted from build is apparently 'burned' into the body computer and CANNOT be altered. The lamps will work perfectly well though and the orange warning light should not be a problem for an MOT tester that can see that it all works as it should. The same applies if you swap LED lamps for standard ones. They will work, but the warning light will be present.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Robbo

When a LHD motorhome is imported into the UK the ‘technical’ requirements relating to UK vehicle registration are as stated on the final page of this document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/222591/apply-commission-notice-motorhomes.pdf

The headlamps fitted as standard to a LHD current-model ‘X290’ Boxer/Ducato/Relay have no inherent design-capability to allow their dipped-beam pattern to be altered from right-dipping to left-dipping or to produce a ‘flat’ beam. To the best of my knowledge the only motorhome headlamps that have that design-capability are certain Hella light-units that are (normally) found only on A-class models. But as all Citroen-based Globecar models are panel-van conversions and will have the standard Citroen Relay headlamps, when it comes to UK-registration of an LHD version the only realistic option is to replace the original right-dipping lamps.

My LHD Fiat Ducato-based Rapido 640 motorhome had its original right-dipping headlamps replaced at the UK-registration stage and a replacement mph/kmh speedometer overlay was also fitted. I motorcaravan exclusively outside the UK, so I would have much preferred the original headlamps and kmh/only speedometer-face to have been left in place, but that option wasn’t possible. I find the my Rapido headlamps’ UK-norm left-dipping pattern hopeless abroad, so hopeless in fact that I seriously considered buying a pair of right-dipping headlamps that were being offered on ebay fairly recently.

The MOT regulations relating to vehicle headlamp ‘aim’ and masks/beam converters can be found in Section 1.8 of this document:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/429032/mot-inspection-manual-classes-3-4-5-7-vehicles.pdf

As has been highlighted on this forum before, the regulations relating to UK vehicle-registration of an imported motorhome are not the same as the regulations relating to the UK's MOT test. Many UK-registered LHD motorhomes retain their right-dipping headlamps and/or speedometer-face, as the DVLA was much less stringent in the past and vehicle inspection of an imported LHD motorhome prior to UK registration was sporadic or non-existent. Although those motorhomes can still pass an MOT test with masks/converters on their headlamps (and the speedometer scale is not part of the MOT test) they would (or should!) be prevented nowadays from being UK-registered after being imported.

Nick,

Many thanks for your post. Coincidentally I had already tried to send you a pm, which appears to be stuck in my outbox, asking you for the Fiat part numbers of the rhd headlights with led drl's . I have been to my local Citroen dealer today and been quoted £631 plus vat each!!! The non led were priced at £272 but the parts guy didn't know if these had normal bulb drl's. It's good to hear that the cheaper version will do the job.

Any chance you could let me have those part numbers.

Many thanks,

Tony.

Hello gang,

I have just seen the PM but thought it best to put the numbers here so that everyone can see them.

I have two Ducato Maxi vans here. One has conventional DRL and the other has LED DRL. Both are (obviously) RHD.

Standard DRL

OS 1374294080

NS 1374298080

LED DRL

OS 1374295080

NS 1374299080

Don't forget that the Peugeot/Citroen vehicles have lamps with a black accent at the lower edge, so they don't look the same but they are electrically compatible and will fit and work, albeit with the potential for a dash warning light if you fit the alternate type of DRL to the one originally installed.

Nick

As has already been said, before you spend money on new headlights make sure they are not adjustable.

I imported a 2014 Hymer last year and it was a quick job to adjust the headlights from LHD to RHD setting. It was done for me by a local garage as part of the changes necessary for registration in the UK, along with changing the speedometer readout to MPH.

Many thanks Nick, Derek and Robin Hood.

Have ordered the led versions from Shop4parts at well under half the price for the Citroen ones. Don't think I would have risked it without Nick's advice, so am extremely grateful.

Incidentally slightly off topic, Derek you asked me, back in November if I would post an update on availability of insurance on an import using the vin number. Comfort, who I have been insured with for many years, confirmed that Aviva are no longer prepared to offer this to private importers. I'll have to shop around a bit more now.

Regards,

Tony

timabob

But isn’t your imported Hymer a B-series A-class model?

I thought that the "Can the dipped-beam pattern of the existing headlamps be altered to meet UK-registration requirements?” question had been adequately dealt with in my earlier posting of 25 January 2016 6:40 PM.

It’s common knowledge that the headlamps of reasonably recent LHD Hymer A-class motorhomes can easily be ‘twiddled’ via a lever within the light-unit to make them acceptable for UK-registration, and it’s equally common knowledge that the headlamps of LHD X250/X290-based ‘coachbuilt’ morhomes (ie. models that retain the standard cab) cannot.

That is very useful, thanks. I did a search a while ago and none were available at all but it seems the non LED ones are coming through now. I would expect the LED ones in a few months time. It often takes the after market 18 months to catch up; especially with the less common options but sometimes although they are listed, they never materialise at all. These seem to be genuine items but at these prices they may come in 'AL' branded boxes (the firm that makes them for Fiat).

Edit

I see from the post above that Tony DID get some LED ones! Excellent news, but i fear they are now out of stock. Good news that they are available though they must have only had one pair.

Tony M - 2016-01-26 5:57 PM

Incidentally slightly off topic, Derek you asked me, back in November if I would post an update on availability of insurance on an import using the vin number. Comfort, who I have been insured with for many years, confirmed that Aviva are no longer prepared to offer this to private importers. I'll have to shop around a bit more now.

Regards,

Tony

Staveley Head will insure on the vin number for 7 days. I asked them in December.

However, do check whether the insurance covers your journey back to the UK, or only covers your van for 7 days once in the UK. Most insurances take effect from the moment you pay the premium, so you may find you have less than 7 days cover once home. Unless your van will be kept off the road once home, you will have to complete UK registration within the 7 day period which, bearing in mind the DVSA inspection, and DVLA's reported slowness, seems unlikely.

As an alternative, have a look through this string: http://tinyurl.com/qc35mhk and then check out Lime Street Brokers (contact details in the string). Providing the van has foreign registration plates they can insure it to give the equivalent of f/c insurance, both for the journey back to UK, and while in UK until registration is completed.

If you have the insurance documents, a German dealer should then attach German export plates and not include the German (third party only) export insurance. You will need to know the temporary German registration number (which the seller should be able to provide) to get the insurance. If importing from elsewhere (most likely France or Belgium), the vehicle will be temporarily registered by the seller, who will then be able to give you its registration number for insurance purposes.

Thanks Brian, I'll give Lime St a call.

Not sure if it's too easy to get the German temporary registration number in advance as last time the dealer didn't go to get the plates until we arrived at his premises!!

New headlights arrived today. Brilliant service from Shop4parts.

Tony,

That’s the way the German system works...

When my Hobby was temporarily registered in Germany three stages were involved. A visit to the workshop where registration plates were made, followed by a visit to the local registration office and finally back to the registration-plate workshop with the necessary documentation to have the plates made up.

As far as I’m aware the registration-number must be assigned at the time of registration and won’t be available in advance.

In which case, it may be worth checking if you can phone the registration number through when issued, to get immediate cover. I think that should be possible, as the insurer has some leeway on when the details are entered on the Motor Insurers Database which (5 days?). However, as the vehicle will not be UK registered, the MID entry may not be required. The quote for the insurance premium will presumably be based on driver and vehicle details, so it should be possible to accept the quote and pay, subject to Reg. No. following when known.

The other question is whether the German plates can be obtained without the third party insurance element. If not, it might still be worth talking to Lime Street, as there "standard" policy IIRC comprises two separate parts, one for the third party risks and the other for accidental damage etc risks. So, as they seem quite familiar with the procedures for importing, it may be possible to buy the accidental damage element only, leaving the third party element on the German plates. Be interesting to hear the outcome, if/when you have time.

Wikipedia has a LONG article on German vehicle registration plates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Germany

The section relating to export plates says:

"Export plates (also known as "Ausfuhrkennzeichen", customs plates) are used for exporting vehicles abroad. The plates are the only ones which do not have the blue Euro strip on the left and the owner does not have to be a German resident to register the car. The date on the red strip on the right hand side does not show the expiration date of the plate; instead it shows the expiration date of the vehicle insurance. After this date the vehicle must have left Germany.”

I’m pretty sure that - when ‘export plates' are obtained - the 3rd-party element is unavoidable.

(When I imported my Hobby motorhome from Germany in 2005 I (supposedly!) had comprehensive insurance cover from the German point-of-sale to my home address, but I deliberately did not try to delete 3rd-party insurance from the German temporary registration process.)

Archived