Rear Camera

potus4388

I am having a problem with the rear camera on my Elddis Majestic 120, all I get is a 'no signal' message on the screen, the monitor fixes on to the mirror.

Does anyone know where the fuse will be located for the camera? I have checked the main fuse box in the living area but nothing marked for the camera, I have looked at the vehicle battery but nothing coming off there with a fuse of any kind.

If anyone has had a similar experience I would be grateful for any advice.

For information, the camera is set to be active all the time and comes on when I start the engine I.e. not just when reverse is selected, so clearly is powered, I assume, from the engine battery.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've got a very similar motorhome to yours and I'd suggest you look at the B pillar, low down by the driver's door. There's a plastic cover there. Take it off and I'm pretty sure all the relevant cables for the camera are there. I'd bet you a shilling you'll find the fuse there. If not, on the shelf above the driver there's a blanking plate. Have a look there. That's where the resettable fuse for my drop down bed is located, but first try the B pillar

Thanks for your reply, not sure who is owed the shilling. You were right about the pillar when I eventually got it off there were two fuses I could see a 5amp and a 15 amp but they were both fine, I changed the 5 amp anyway but left the 15 amp as a camera would not need a 15 amp. I don't have a blank panel above the driver though, so it looks like it's something else causing the problem and I will have to take it in somewhere. Many thanks for your reply though, at least I know how to take the B panel of!??

6d each sounds fair!!

There are two types of reversing-camera system fitted to motorhomes - wireless or wired.

The wireless system has separate power-supplies for the in-cab monitor and the camera on the motorhome's rear. The camera has a 'black box' that transmits a 'picture-signal' wirelessly' to a receiver on the monitor and the camera's 12V power-supply is normally taken from the wiring of the vehicle's reversing-light. The monitor will have its own 12V power-supply taken from somewhere in the cab area. The potential drawback with this type of system is that it will only operate when the vehicle's reversing-light illuminates and it can be badly affected by electrical interference. The plus side is that the system is not difficult to install.

Wired systems have the monitor and camera connected by a cable. They are less prone to interference, but - because the cable needs to be fed from the monitor at the front of the motorhome to the camera at the rear - installation requires more effort. Some of these systems have separate 12V power-supplies for the monitor and camera, with the camera's supply coming from the reversing-lights. Alternatively, only the monitor will need a 12V power-supply and the cable between the monitor and camera then provides 12V power as well as a picture signal. In the latter case the system can be operated continuously as an alternative to an interior rear-view mirror. The following link has diagrams showing the two methods.

https://camerasource.com/blog/guide-to-backup-camera-installation/

I don't know if your motorhome's reversing camera system was factory-fitted by Elddis or a retro-fit, but - as the system can be in operation continuously and comes on when you start the vehicle's engine - I'm guessing that the system is the 'wired' type and that the camera is powered via the monitor (attached to your motorhome's rear-view mirror) and that the 12V power-supply to the monitor comes from an ignition-controlled source in the cab area. If that's correct, then the camera will not need a separate 12V power-supply and there would be no point looking for a dedicated camera fuse. The monitor MIGHT have a dedicated 12V power-supply (with its own fuse) but - certainly with a retro-fit - the 12V power might well be provided by splicing into an existing cable (eg. a cable powering a cigar-lighter socket) or the 12V power might come from 'piggy backing' on a existing fuse in the dashboard fuse-box. In both scenarios, finding the source of the monitor's 12V power- supply would require tracing the route of the monitor's 12V cable. However, if your system's camera is powered from the monitor, there's no need to look for a failed fuse as the monitor is clearly 'live' as you are getting a "No Signal" message.

There's a fair amount of online troubleshooting advice when reversing camera monitors display a "No Signal" message (example here)

https://www.reversingcamerasuk.com/fault-finding-guide-for-reversing-cameras.html

For a wired system where the camera is powered from the monitor and the monitor displays a "No Signal" message, received wisdom is that the fault tends to be with the cable linking monitor to camera (particularly in the connector where the cable joins the camera's wiring) or the camera itself has developed a fault.

(Is there anything on the monitor and/or camera to indicate its manufacturer?)

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply Derek, very informative indeed.

The only information on the monitor is 'made in China' an 'LFT LCD'

Before it stopped working completely, it worked and then stopped working a couple of times and changed from a colour view to black and white.

I am going to check with Marquis tomorrow regarding warranty but it is three years old so I am not confident. It was ordered as part of the van from Elddis but not sure if it was fitted at the factory or by Marquis.

Very much appreciate the time you spent in your reply to my post!

A GOOGLE-search on "elddis majestic reversing camera" retrieves a few comments.

It appears that a reversing camera system would have been a factory fit for 2019 Majestic-branded Elddis motorhomes, with the system comprising the single-lens camera arrangement shown in the 1st image attached below and the monitor shown in the 2nd image.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the 2019 Elddis handbooks about the system's specification and its operation, but (hopefully) the buyer of a new Majestic motorhome would have received documentation relevant to the system.

(In fact I found brief advice on switching on the system in the video relating to the "Cab" section on the following link.)

https://scottonmotorhomehire.co.uk/elddis-majestic-196-1

If you have the camera/monitor system shown in the attached images it will have been widely fitted to Elddis motorhomes and, consequently, it's to be expected that an Elddis motorhome dealership should be familiar with it and be able to offer advice and repair.

(I hesitate to ask this, but are you sure you haven't accidentally pressed a 'wrong' button on the monitor? Some of these systems have the capability to select an image from more than one source (eg. when a dual-lens camera has been fitted) and selecting a source that isn't linked to a camera would produce a blank screen or a No Signal message on the monitor.)

camera.png.e5cbc77aab79c61e161949aab22d34d1.png

monitor.png.02dce6118a57b29cc9726a2cfc26f786.png

This is another link that may be of interest

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/reversing-camera-screen-identification.231995/

Sadly, the make/model/age of the motorhome involved is not stated, and this type of monitor is 'generic'.

Mention is made of a V1/V2 button that allows the monitor's input signal to come from a dual-lens camera or from up to two separate cameras. If there were just a single camera that was connected to the V1 input pathway, selecting V2 would prevent a camera image being displayed.

Details of this type of monitor are provided within the MHFun thread

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/reversing-camera-screen-identification.231995/

Although the features/capabilities of this design of monitor will be much the same, the layout of the buttons is not standardised.

(For what it's worth, some later Elddis motorhomes appear to have been factory-fitted with a twin-lens reversing camera that allows a rear-view 'while driving' image or a 'look down' image for reversing. The online photo shows a camera that looks similar (but not the same) as the single-lens camera. There's also an online photo showing an Elddis motorhome where the original camera has been replaced by a conventional twin-lens camera, and I'm guessing that was was because the original camera's performance was less than inspiring or the original camera had failed.)

Thanks again for all the info I attach photos of the monitor and rear camera for info. There are two channels but the camera has only ever worked on one, currently waiting to hear back from Marquis ref warranty.

I will let you know how I get on.

Presumably the camera and/or monitor fitted to your Majestic 120 differ from the images attached to my posting of 6 March 2022 6:32 PM above?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to attach files to a posting is explained in the Forums FAQ section of the Forum User Guide on the Forum Home webpage. I've repeated the advice below:

Q: How do I attach a file to a forum posting?

A: The procedure for attaching a file to a forum posting is as follows:

1: Type the posting’s text into the Message box.

2: Tick the box titled "Attach a file after posting”.

3: Click the posting’s SUBMIT button.

An “Attach a file” box should now appear, When it does

4: Click on the “Choose File” button.

The response to clicking on the “Choose File” button will depend on the device you are using. But however your device (PC, Mac, tablet, phone) responds, you’ll need to identify and choose the file you want to attach. The file-name should now appear alongside the “Choose File” button. When it does

5: Click on the “Submit” button.

If the file you are trying to attach has a format that the forum’s software can handle, a message (in red) “Upload successful” should appear, plus information showing the name of the file and its size.

6: Now click on "Return to the thread” in the “Actions” box to complete the process. (If you want to attach several files, repeat actions 4 and 5 as necessary, and then click on "Return to the thread”.)

......................................................................................................................................

THE CRITICAL THING IS TO ENSURE THAT THE SIZE OF THE FILE BEING ATTACHED DOES NOT EXCEED 100KB

Attempting to attach a fairly large file with a size exceeding 100KB may prodce the following error message

Request object error 'ASP 0104 : 80004005'

Operation not Allowed

/forums/includes/include-upload.asp, line 51

However, if the file is really large, the attachment process may fail with no error message and with “no file selected” appearing alongside the “Choose File” button.

Thanks for the info on attaching photos, I will have to practice more,it did not seem to work for me, the photos did not appear but I did not receive an error message as you mentioned.

Actually the camera and the monitor ARE the same as the photos you posted.

I did try to check the connection on the monitor, there is a very small section that is removable, however, it is of no help as when removed it is obvious that the actual wires are connected much further down into the body of the monitor and can't be reached.

Still waiting for Marquis, I will wait a day or two and call them if I have not had a response.

As I mentioned above, an attempt to attach to a posting a file that is significantly larger than 100KB will probably result in the process failing with no error message. The average size of a .jpeg photo file created by a modern smartphone with a good quality camera will be in the 4MB to 12MB range (depending on the resolution chosen) - far too high to attach to a posting on these elderly forums where the maximum size is 100KB. It's been a perennial problem ever since the O&AL forums were created in 2005 and will persist until there's a forum software revamp.

This advert is for a reversing camera 'kit' that has a mirror-mounted monitor and a 'dome' camera.

https://www.reversingcamerasuk.com/7-inch-mirror-monitor-monitor-and-ccd-dome-reversing-camera.html

The advert for the camera itself

https://www.reversingcamerasuk.com/white-ccd-dome-camera.html

says

They use a 1/3" Sony CCD sensor and this is aided by high quality circuits for processing the signal. It has 12 IR LEDs to help with the night vision. It is designed to fit the vertical wall at the rear of a vehicle with the cable fed into the body underneath the dome. It uses the 4 pin aviation style connector and we have a number of kits available that use this camera. It should be noted that when on a vertical surface the camera when adjusted down sees withiin about 1 foot of the vehicle bumper.

Please note if you are replacing one of these on an ELDDIS motorhome they have used 2 different types of connector. One is the 4 pin aviation this camera uses and the other based on a push fit S-video connector. If yours is the S-video style we can provide support if you contact us.

This link relates to this type of system, but the wiring arrangement will differ in your case as the camera is intended to operate whenever your motorhome's ignition has been switched on.

https://www.jaycoadelaide.com.au/sites/4/2021/03/Sphere-Reversing-Camera-Manual-sm-1615936523.pdf

The monitor and the camera will each have their own shortish cable. If I remember correctly, the monitor's cable will 'split' into three towards its end, with two of the wires providing 'live' 12V power and 'earth' for the monitor and the 3rd wire connecting to a long video+power extension cable that reaches to the motothome's rear end. The camera's cable connects to the video+power extension cable and the connector will (normally) be inside the motorhome near to where the camera is mounted.

The first troubleshooting step would be to disconnect/reconnect the connection between the video+power extension cable and the camera cable. If that does no good disconnect/reconnect the connection between the video+power cable and the monitor cable. Still no good, then try connecting a known-to-be-working camera instead of the original camera. If that does no good then temporarily connect the known-to-be-working camera to the monitor with a different video+power extension cable. If the fault persists when a new camera and a new video+power cable have been tried, that leaves the monitor as the prime suspect.

Hi Derek,

I have been in touch with the company you suggested by phone, they tell me that they every spring they supply the dome camera to Elddis owners as they tend to leak and allow condensation into the camera! I have it booked in at Marquis for an inspection shortly, however, if as I suspect they won't do it under warranty, I will buy a new camera and have ago at fitting it myself.

Once again you are a wealth of information and I very much appreciate your advice!!

The Marquis warranty details are here

https://www.marquisleisure.co.uk/services/manufacturers-warranty/three-year-manufacturers-warranty

and it appears that the camera should be covered.

(There are online historic complaints about the camera fitted to Elddis motorhomes with one buyer saying that they'd had more than one camera replaced under warranty (A 'bad batch' of camera's was the Elddis explanation).

As failure of this camera seems to be well known, I suggest you take a tough line if Marquis resist under-warranty replacement.

• 2 months later...

On my 2019 Accordo 125 I have had two of these cameras fail within a couple of months of each other this year 2022, each time the weather was very wet. I've been delving into this set up and can share what I've learnt. Probably too late for you but might be useful for others following.

The camera is connected to the monitor by a 4-pin aviator cable.

The camera takes its power from the monitor so there is no fuse involved.

At the foot of the "B pillar", i.e. the pillar immediately behing the driver's door, there is a panel which can be removed by three screws.

In there is where the camera connects to the monitor using a 4-pin aviator plug and socket. In addition there is an unused second connector wired back to the monitor intended for a second camera.

To test your camera you can remove it and plug it directly into one of the connectors mentioned above. This will indicate whether your camera or the cable is at fault.

Some of the cheapo reversing cameras I got off ebay look as if they are intended to be used inside a car (rear window) as they are clearly not waterproof. (despte being provided with 6+1 metres of cable - long enough for the XLWB Ducato). I pack plumbers mait into the joints to keep the water out. It doesn't set so you can still dismantle it if necessary. Consider drilling a little drain hole in the bottom of the case. Even kept dry the initially good picture can still deteriorate after a few years though due to the plastic lens degrading.

I thought the more expensive cameras fitted by converters would be waterproof - but apparently not.

We had the same camera on our 2012 Aspire 255. Failed twice over 7 years with corrosion leading the damp ingress. Inside the rear overhead cupboard on ours was a little box remove the wood cover and the connecting cable between the camera and the cable to the front. This had a poor contact, a little squirt of cantactor spray and all was well.

Our Dometic camera fitted to our 2019 Burstner has also failed with damp ingress, having spent all of 2021 in our garage emailed Dometic did not receive any response, all the dometic door trays have broken as well poor quality but they obviously don’t give a toss.

• 2 weeks later...
oartist - 2022-05-22 2:05 PM

On my 2019 Accordo 125 I have had two of these cameras fail within a couple of months of each other this year 2022, each time the weather was very wet. I've been delving into this set up and can share what I've learnt. Probably too late for you but might be useful for others following.

The camera is connected to the monitor by a 4-pin aviator cable.

The camera takes its power from the monitor so there is no fuse involved.

At the foot of the "B pillar", i.e. the pillar immediately behing the driver's door, there is a panel which can be removed by three screws.

In there is where the camera connects to the monitor using a 4-pin aviator plug and socket. In addition there is an unused second connector wired back to the monitor intended for a second camera.

To test your camera you can remove it and plug it directly into one of the connectors mentioned above. This will indicate whether your camera or the cable is at fault.

I have since removed my rear camera to smear clear silicon sealant over all possible joints. It turned out to be easy. Remove three screws holding the camera assembly to the van. Pull the assembly away from the van. The camera cable is connected to the main cable using a 4-pin aviator plug and socket neatly covered by a rubber sleeve which you can roll back allowing you to simply remove the camera.

Archived