Rear Door Draft Excluder for Panel Van Conversion

HymerVan

December 2013 MMM (at page 181) refers to a "Winter Pack" being offered by Auto-Sleeper either as an addition to a new van or for retro-fitting.

Apparently this package includes "a rear door draft excluder". I would be very interested in that part of the product.

Has anyone come across such a product either as a standalone product or within the Auto-Sleeper offering ?

I made one by covering pipe insulation with some suitable fabric sewn into a long tube, once the pipe is inserted machine a tab at one end so you can pull it out :-D its a tight fit, we haven't tested it out yet as the van is laid up for the winter. I know the ones that are fitted to some vans are made to press stud on to one side but this will work just as well and can live on the end of the bed or somewhere similar.

maggyd - 2013-11-24 12:15 PM

I made one by covering pipe insulation with some suitable fabric sewn into a long tube, once the pipe is inserted machine a tab at one end so you can pull it out :-D its a tight fit, we haven't tested it out yet as the van is laid up for the winter. I know the ones that are fitted to some vans are made to press stud on to one side but this will work just as well and can live on the end of the bed or somewhere similar.

I see you've got the 'problem solving DIY bug' then Maggy! Nice solution, I too shall make one ... I'll just have to make sure the dogs don't get hold of it and shred it!!! :D

Did you make a curtain to cover the door too?

Guest JudgeMental

for winter camping germans use a insulated panel that covers the inside of rear doors compleately...it was on this site linked below, but nothing that could not be made up yourself?....cant find at moment as busy trying to complete visa's for sri lanka and not having much luck :-S

http://www.reimo.com/en/D-accessories_store/DQ-cabin_comfort/

Tracker - 2013-11-24 12:34 PM

I took the door panels off and insulated inside the door cavities and made sure both doors were adjusted so that they shut properly and no daylight could be seen when shut.

I believe adjusting the doors correctly as Richard has is the first step to keeping out drafts , we don't get any drafts from ours. We also have curtains by the fixed bed, these show no movement in strong winds which confirms the doors are fairly airtight.

p.s. I have seen some conversions which use pipe insulation to seal the gap.

Mel B - 2013-11-24 12:17 PM

maggyd - 2013-11-24 12:15 PM

I see you've got the 'problem solving DIY bug' then Maggy! Nice solution, I too shall make one ... I'll just have to make sure the dogs don't get hold of it and shred it!!! :D

Did you make a curtain to cover the door too?

No Mel O.H wouldn't let me he likes the clean lines without, he thinks the blinds are enough :-D I must admit I think they would only make the van look smaller and our headboard would stop them going behind the bed, plus I feel mafted even with the heating on lowest setting .

No it would have to be fluffy before the dogs were interested (lol) mind you watch this space (lol)

Globecar/Possl offer an insulating curtain for the rear doors of their panel-van conversions and Carthago (for "Malibu") offers some sort of insulating 'pad' (that may be what JudgeMental mentions). Both systems are priced around €190.

Insulating the door cavities and using water-pipe insulation (as Tracker and maggyd have done respectively) are mentioned here:

http://amotorhomelife.blogspot.co.uk/p/modifications-and-personalisation-of.html

Guest JudgeMental

Jeez...OCD or what!lol... Poor things...more out then in.... No wonder chap describes himself as "a grumpy old bloke"..he must never get a minutes peace. Mel eat your heart out! :D

They are or where on Reimo site I linked to earlier. But if so inclined you can buy the material from silverscreens or Taylormade and run up your own. Adria's have the door draught excluder as standard, so yet another item to add to the list where UK vans fall well short on standard specification :-D

€190! Seems a tad expensive for a couple of small curtains, asuming these are what we have. Its all coming back to me now, we had previously rented a WildAx and it was like a windtunnel in the back, we had seen a van with velcroéd cover over gap, so as part of deal on 636 we specified extra draftproofing foc, didn´t even realise it was in options list.

Guest JudgeMental
one I saw covered whole of back entrance and has some sort of large springs in each corner....considering what silver screens cost I'm not surprised.....Thats £160, just price up the material.

Mel B - 2013-11-25 1:50 PM

Yup, that's what I did - I got some nice lined ones form a car boot sale and shortened them!

I used some of the offcut material to make a small curtain to cover the gaps at either side under the bed too so it looks nice and tidy.

Yours look neat Mel :-D but ours wouldn't we have the bathroom at the back beside the bed so the opening once curtains were up would be even more reduced.

:-D

Derek Uzzell - 2013-11-25 1:55 PM

Globecar/Possl offer an insulating curtain for the rear doors of their panel-van conversions and Carthago (for "Malibu") offers some sort of insulating 'pad' (that may be what JudgeMental mentions). Both systems are priced around €190.

Insulating the door cavities and using water-pipe insulation (as Tracker and maggyd have done respectively) are mentioned here:

http://amotorhomelife.blogspot.co.uk/p/modifications-and-personalisation-of.html

Makes for interesting reading that blog ;-) what I wouldn't mind though is one of those STOPA things for the door (lol) I cant always remember where that flipping tennis ball has got too.

As far as the Carthago "Malibu" is concerned, it's difficult to know what one would be getting for the €190 "Isoliermatte für Hecktüren" option.

A Malibu's rear windows are the usual plastic double-pane type with concertina blinds, so there should be no need to insulate those. In fact, the Malibu options list implies that the insulating 'mats' are fitted externally, and there's a small rear-view picture in the Malibu brochure (though it's actually a leaflet) that suggests they may be something like these

http://www.reimo.com/de/372631-thermo_reflexmatte_1700_x_740_mm/

but in black and more heavily padded.

Having now looked at the German-language Globecar price-list (I was using the French version before) I see that the same "Isoliermatte für Hecktüren" term is used, so whatever the Malibu option is, a Globecar/Possl probably has the same. There is a difference, as the weight of the 'mats' in the Globecar listing is given as 2kg, whereas the weight of the Malibu 'mats' is said to be 8kg (which doesn't seem likely).

JudgeMental - 2013-11-25 3:28 PM

Jeez...OCD or what!lol... Poor things...more out then in.... No wonder chap describes himself as "a grumpy old bloke"..he must never get a minutes peace. Mel eat your heart out! :D

Nah, he's not done anything like as much as I have to our Accent!!!! :-D .... and still more to do!!!! :D

Jeez...OCD or what!lol... Poor things...more out then in.... No wonder chap describes himself as "a grumpy old bloke"..he must never get a minutes peace. Mel eat your heart out!..

It does make you wonder just how many stick-on hooks, "Poundshop" storage boxes and bits of add-on shelving and bungee straps,does one van need?!.. 8-)

(..don't answer that Mel! (lol) )

pepe63 - 2013-11-25 8:01 PM

Jeez...OCD or what!lol... Poor things...more out then in.... No wonder chap describes himself as "a grumpy old bloke"..he must never get a minutes peace. Mel eat your heart out!..

It does make you wonder just how many stick-on hooks, "Poundshop" storage boxes and bits of add-on shelving and bungee straps,does one van need?!.. 8-)

(..don't answer that Mel! (lol) )

... I might even be tempted to try my hammock out in it yet .... for the dogs of course 'cause 'footy' nearly has an apoplexic fit at the thought of them being on our bed!!!! :D

Pepe, yes it can be quite tragic looking at a second hand van and to see what some owners have added as 'improvements'. In some cases, these 'delights' would knockthousands off the resale price.

You know the saying 'one mans meat........'?

The problem with some of this 'stuff' (no criticism, Mel, as you seem really handy with a sewing machine ;-) ) is that, if the new owner doesn't like it, and we all have different tastes, their removal often leaves scars, holes, removed/modified boards/furniture.......no thanks, next van please.

Not a lot of fun sitting in a van with all the windows blocked out just in case it gets a bit chilly?

With no view out, may as well stay at home to keep warm?

For the amount of nights most of us would ever need layers of insulation on either cab or rear windows we find it simpler, and probably just as cost effective if that is an issue, just to leave the heating a low setting on than to faff about fitting, removing and then carrying all that bulk.

Just a personal and different point of view - doubltless some will agree and some will disagree - so whatever you feel works for you should hopefully suit you best?

What a coincidence (although topical due to the weather). We knew nothing of this posting till now, but we're just back from a weekend in Devon, where we hung some silver insulation material we just happened to have in the van, on the curtain rail in front of the rear doors.

It really worked well, cost literally nothing, and is easy to do on a temporary basis, although we are intending to do something more lasting.

Guest JudgeMental
They are a niche product intended for deep winter use, and seeing as when most go to bed it is dark outside I see no problems using them as long as conditions justify.... :-(

Fair enough, but if I were buying a van for deep winter conditions it sure as heck would not be a panel van!

I'd go for a German made coachbuilt designed, insulated and made with harsh conditions in mind with insulated and heated plumbing?

'Orses fer courses innit!

Archived