Recommendations Sought Please

olliemcleod

Dear All

We're a newby couple (with dog) to Motorhomes and admit to being a bit overwhelmed by the variety in the market. I'm looking for suggestions for a first motorhome with the following:

< or = to 6m

2 berths

4 travelling seats

separate shower ideally

good fuel economy

As for beds we like (i) fixed drop down (from ceiling) (ii) rear fixed (with/without garage) and (iii) rear made up from lounge i.e. we like a front dinete which wouldn't need to used as a bed. My wife prefers coachbuilt but I like panelvan conversions too. We've looked at Bessacar 424, Swift 604, Autotrail vline 699/700, Chausson Flash 514

Budget sub £40k ideally and would consider second hand but would want a manufacturers warranty.

Advice welcomed please and tia!

Stephen

The nec show, 16-21 October will have hundreds to sit in and evaluate. Don't go wild and spend a fortune on your first one, so many folk change their mind and lose thousands. Either hire one, or if you want to buy, pick up a recent second hand one with a warranty.

It's only by actually trying them out that you realise what works and what doesn't.

(And read the forums)

Billggski - 2018-09-12 11:00 AM

The nec show, 16-21 October will have hundreds to sit in and evaluate. Don't go wild and spend a fortune on your first one, so many folk change their mind and lose thousands. Either hire one, or if you want to buy, pick up a recent second hand one with a warranty.

It's only by actually trying them out that you realise what works and what doesn't.

(And read the forums)

Have to agree. Don't go mad on a new one, if it does not suit you, a lot of money will be lost on sale/changeover.

Also check your licence re weight. Can you drive over 3500? Why 2 berth 4 seat belts ? Not a common set up.

PJay

Back in 2006, I read up reviews in the various motorhome mags and went with the "class motorhome of the year" award with a vehicle based pretty much similar to your current stated spec and budget. That was the Hymer van 522, a forerunner in that new compact class at the time. Many similar models and marques matching you spec have emerged since. Maybe worth researching publications for expert reviews. We loved that vehicle (and still do in fact) but having updated to a new model this year, now recognise the shortcomings even though it was cutting edge at the time.

I endorse the recommendation to visit a show. The NEC is good, but here you will only see brand new motorhomes. There is often a long lead time from ordering to actually receiving your vehicle. Friends of ours waited 8 months!

If you can get to one or more of the Warner (MMM) shows you will have the opportunity to view new and second hand options side by side. You may find that by buying a recently second hand ‘van you will be able to afford to upgrade your choice.

Cattwg :-D

Guest pelmetman
olliemcleod - 2018-09-12 10:31 AM

Dear All

We're a newby couple (with dog) to Motorhomes and admit to being a bit overwhelmed by the variety in the market. I'm looking for suggestions for a first motorhome with the following:

< or = to 6m

2 berths

4 travelling seats

separate shower ideally

good fuel economy

As for beds we like (i) fixed drop down (from ceiling) (ii) rear fixed (with/without garage) and (iii) rear made up from lounge i.e. we like a front dinete which wouldn't need to used as a bed. My wife prefers coachbuilt but I like panelvan conversions too. We've looked at Bessacar 424, Swift 604, Autotrail vline 699/700, Chausson Flash 514

Budget sub £40k ideally and would consider second hand but would want a manufacturers warranty.

Advice welcomed please and tia!

Stephen

I can recommend the Travelhome ;-) ..........

Under 6 m.......4 berths not 2........with an upstairs double and no drop down fancy bed that's bound to go wrong one day :D ..........4 belted seats ........admittedly the shower is only separated by a shower curtain.......but you'll have more kitchen work surface and a oven that works unlike some 100k+ campers ;-) ..........Not to mention 31 mpg.........and a turning circle that would make a London cabby blush B-) ........

Plus 30 to 35k worth of beer tokens left over from your budget ...........What's not to like? :-> .......

Hi, We were newbies 2 years ago, and researched for 2 years before buying, listening to many who bought the wrong one first time. I would suggest you look at more than just interior layout, try to image how you are going to use it. For just weekends and short holiday and the kind of temperatures you intend to use it in.

We looked at many, mostly German made, because they are better built and mostly 'winterised', which means you can use all year round without any problems.

We go away from November and do not return until early summer, and have camped in temperatures from minus 10c to well above 40c, both heating [ Alde] and fridge/freezer coped easily.

Dethleffs get my vote any day.

Guest pelmetman
Deffheads - 2018-09-13 6:35 PM

We go away from November and do not return until early summer, and have camped in temperatures from minus 10c to well above 40c, both heating [ Alde] and fridge/freezer coped easily.

We got down to -14 in Brittany in ours one Christmas ;-) .......

The only problem was back then we used 2 campinggaz cylinders which I thought we were using up 1 within two days......but they were actually freezing....... so I was returning 3/4 full bottles and buying new ones at 25 quid a pop years ago *-) ........

Now have a refillable B-) ........and a campinggaz just for emergencies :D .......

We were also ifacing the same dilemma five years ago. Complete newbies at that point. Rented a couple for a weekend and realised they were too small. Ended up with a Dethleffs Globebus which has been excellent. Slim yet roomy with big garage.

The other thing I would recommend is finding a good localish dealer. You don’t want to be schlepping more than 50 miles for any bits, repairs, servicing, warranty work etc. Pullingers in Essex have been top notch for us.

Cattwg - 2018-09-12 6:24 PM

I endorse the recommendation to visit a show. The NEC is good, but here you will only see brand new motorhomes. There is often a long lead time from ordering to actually receiving your vehicle. Friends of ours waited 8 months!

If you can get to one or more of the Warner (MMM) shows you will have the opportunity to view new and second hand options side by side. You may find that by buying a recently second hand ‘van you will be able to afford to upgrade your choice.

Cattwg :-D

Lincoln Motorhome Show at Lincoln showground a few miles north of the city is on next weekend & usually has a good selection of both new & used motorhomes / campervans.

Many used & 2018 models are discounted as dealers don't want hold stock (& tied up cash) over winter ready for 2019 models arriving.

Deffheads - 2018-09-13 6:35 PM

Hi, We were newbies 2 years ago, and researched for 2 years before buying, listening to many who bought the wrong one first time. I would suggest you look at more than just interior layout, try to image how you are going to use it. For just weekends and short holiday and the kind of temperatures you intend to use it in.

We looked at many, mostly German made, because they are better built and mostly 'winterised', which means you can use all year round without any problems.

The Dethleffs are beautifully designed. I think I'd rather use our budget for a 2nd hand but higher spec German MH than a new but cheaper brand...especially if I can get a warranty

Archived