Sealant for reversing camera wiring?

michaelmorris

I'm about to bite the bullet and fit a reversing camera to the back of our coachbuilt motorhome. This will involve drilling three holes in the back of the motorhome.

Two holes will be 4mm wide holes just through the outer skin. These will be for the screws that secure the camera mounting bracket to the van. The other hole will be much bigger (probably around 10/12 mm wide) and will be drilled right through the skin of the van. This will be for the signal/power cable for the camera.

Please can anyone provide advice on how best to seal these holes so as to prevent water ingress?

Thanks

A rubber grommet is usually employed for the hole through which the signal/power cable passes.

To seal the screw holes (and to further seal the grommet) you could use a good quality bathroom silicone sealant or a sealant/adhesive like Sikaflex. I’d probably use this

https://www.fernox.com/plumbing-consumables/ls-x-external-leak-sealer-50ml

Stuck my twin camera on with Sikaflex 291i same as I use for my solar panels, took the grommets of the cables as they were large and fed the cables through the hole in the centre of the bracket with a hole through the body directly behind it all sealed with Sikaflex.

Use any decent PU sealant - Sikaflex EBT or Puraflex 40 for example would do.

If you decide to use a silicone based product - something like Dow 791 or Geocel

Some inferior silicones are quite acetic, with potential to damage the Aluminium.

Make sure you 'backfill' the cable hole and use a cable gland [see index products for example]

As for the camera bracket fixing - if you're not sure whether there is a decent bit of material beyond the outer skin for the screws to bite on, using a good PU will be more important as the mechanical fixing will be all but superfluous. Use S/S screws, and ideally coat the threads and shoulder of them with sealant.

I wouldn't advocate the use of Plumbers Mait.............

For the cable, visit a small boat chandler and look for a waterproof cable gland. For the camera mounting bracket, use a modified pu external construction sealant. Mark out and dry fit the bracket, remove, apply sealant to back of bracket, re-fit the bracket until the sealant begins to exude around the edges, but not sufficient to exude all the sealant, clean off surplus, and then allow to cure. Finally, just give the screws a quarter turn max to just slightly compress the cured sealant. Be careful, as the aluminium skin is very thin, and it is easy to strip the thread the pk screw cuts into it.

globebuster - 2018-02-23 9:37 AM

I wouldn't advocate the use of Plumbers Mait.............

I've been using Plumbers Mait 100% successfully for many years.

But perhaps I should stop using it because somebody who hasn't tried it wouldn't advocate it *-)

John52 - 2018-02-24 7:43 AM
globebuster - 2018-02-23 9:37 AMI wouldn't advocate the use of Plumbers Mait.............
I've been using Plumbers Mait 100% successfully for many years.But perhaps I should stop using it because somebody who hasn't tried it wouldn't advocate it *-)

Funny isn't it that with all these modern alternatives, people dismiss a good old non-settling mastic material like Plumber's Mate. Much cheaper than Simaex too. Mind you old ways aren't necessarily good or appealing. I saw a survival program on Discovery in which the expert recommended mud made from termite mound material -  but you did need to lay it on pretty thick to get a durable seal for a hole in the bottom of the dugout canoe he was planning to go down river in.  Cheap enough if you have termite mounds to hand but Plumbers Mate would smell nicer. 

Perhaps you should stop using it John....

I would say the vast majority of people thinking of installing a camera or anything else for that matter, might not be so foolish as to use such an inappropriate product - But hey!, you've always been a bit of a maverick John!

Actually, I have tried Plumbers Mait - so sadly your Psychic powers have failed you on this occasion.

It was many, many years ago and you might not be surprised to know it was on a Plumbing job :-D

I'm also very pleased that you have a 100% success rate - but why do I get the impression that your endless harping on about its 'virtues' is to seek some kind of confirmation that you have not actually used the most inappropriate sealant for the job.

Your floral display on the roof looks fantastic by the way, what with that lovely dam of plumbers gloop all around it - I suppose being able to retain moisture means you don't need to clamber on the roof to water them quite so often.....

globebuster - 2018-02-23 8:00 PM

Actually, I have tried Plumbers Mait - so sadly your Psychic powers have failed you on this occasion.

It was many, many years ago and you might not be surprised to know it was on a Plumbing job :-D

On the contrary I'm very surprised you used the right product :-D

globebuster - 2018-02-23 8:00 PM

Your floral display on the roof looks fantastic by the way, what with that lovely dam of plumbers gloop all around it - I suppose being able to retain moisture means you don't need to clamber on the roof to water them quite so often....

Van side door is open so you are looking right through the van to the garden :-D

Archived