Sky light leak

Peter Boyle

Hi

I noticed some water had leaked through the Large skylight above the lounge in my Autotrail Apache 700, I've never notice it leak while we've been in it in heavy rain, Is this a one off because of severe weather ? or some thing more serious my van is nearly 6 years old, also I noticed the is a rubber seal missing from the back edge ( see Photo )

I think you omitted the photo!

The seal on the large sky light on my Dethelff is also a incomplete with an approximately 50 to 75mm gap at the rear. In previous discussions it has been suggested this is by design but I am not convinced. In certain situations I have noted that when parked up wind driven water appears to have ingressed into the sky light frame via this gap but its impact was pretty trivial and it has only happened a few times in the past 10 years.

About 5 years ago I snagged the sky light on a low hanging branch while parking up on a French campsite. The impact compromised the efficacy of the flexible sealant around the sky light and I needed to reseat/seal the unit and I thought about replacing the seal but on monitoring the efficacy of the seal repair I concluded the gap did n't appear to have any significant impact.

Peter, on our way to Lightning Ridge yesterday I heard a loud noise from the large window at the front. So I stopped in the middle of nowhere climbed up on the roof to find a leaf caught under the rubber seal. So I gave the seal and the area right the way around the window a good wipe with a damp rag. This solved the noise issue. A long way around to say on my 2015 AT the seal is all the way round the window with no gap. If one small leaf can cause the noise this one did then with a gap in the seal rubber that would cause the noise of a symphony orchestra. Hope this helps. Off to look for some colour around the spill piles around the opal mines in the area. Be fun to find a nice sparkling rock! Cheers,

There is an arcane formula that some motorhome converters strictly adhere to regarding how much ‘high level’ permanent ventilation there must be in a motorhome’s habitation area. The result is that rooflights can have an unpredictable amount of sealing depending on the converter’s policy and how many rooflights are fitted.

I recall talking to a couple that had bought their first motorhome (a brand-new large UK-built one) and had complained about noise and draughts from the rooflights. They had noticed that the rooflights only had seals part-way round and asked if additional seals could be fitted. The vendor (the ’old' Brownhills at Newark) consulted the converter and told the couple that extra seals could be fitted, but additional unsealed rooflights would have to be installed to maintain the ’legally required’ amount of permanent ventilation. I said “Just fit extra seals to the noisy/draughty rooflights yourself”.

From the Dometic Heki rooflight installation manuals that came in the bundle of documents supplied with our van, it appears that they are available in two versions, one with permanent ventilation and a second with a rubber seal between the frame and cover. I recall a thread possibly on this or another forum a while back to the effect that the seals can be purchased as spare parts at a fairly exorbitant cost, and simply fit into a grovve around the upper edge of the frame. We have the open versions fitted, which doesn't bother us as we both like fresh air. The Fiamma vent in the washroom also has permanent fixed ventilation. We have never experienced water leaks from any of them, even in fairly torrential and horizontal (Hebridean) rain.

Deneb - 2020-07-02 10:55 AM

...I recall a thread possibly on this or another forum a while back to the effect that the seals can be purchased as spare parts at a fairly exorbitant cost, and simply fit into a groove around the upper edge of the frame...

This one?

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Loud-whistling-from-front-mini-heki-whilst-travelling-/55506/

Replacement seals are also available fpr Remis rooflights. I replaced my Hobby motorhome’s Remis ‘midi’ rooflight’s original seals (that were disintegrating) obtaining the replacements from here

https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/index.asp

Archived