Snow socks

Boris

Snow socks  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

spirou - 2019-01-08 1:42 PM

No experience but... why? Takes as much time as putting chains on and will never be as useful.

I don't agree. I have used both chains and snow socks and the socks are definitely easier to put on and take off. They maybe not quite as durable as chains, but both should only be used when actually needed, and removed when clear of snow.

flyboyprowler - 2019-01-08 1:54 PM

socks are definitely easier to put on and take off.

It takes me about 3-6min per wheel to put chains on, mostly depending how much snow needs to be cleared from around the wheel (as you need to pass it behind). Don't think it takes much less to put the socks on, or how much it matters if it does. The process takes a bit more on a car with less clearance but also not more than a minute longer. I guess it helps if you're doing it several times per season. Chasing fresh snow inevitably takes you on steep, snow covered roads. :-D

It depends how much you practice in a real life situation. Chains are a fiddle but can be used on a range of sized tyres. My experience with snow socks is that they have to be the exact size or they are impossible to fit. Lying on the floor in snow in the dark tests your skills, and I usually fail miserably. I use winter tyres on my cars which have coped brilliantly even in thick snow, but you need chains in many areas of the alps.

I haven't (yet) used the snow socks on the motorhome but I have used them a lot on cars, I found them very easy to fit and very effective in the snow (as a fire service response officer we used them instead of chains on our cars) I have never got stuck or lost traction with them in snow. You are supposed to remove them when you are driving on tarmac but that is only because they wear out quicker. You are not so limited by speed as you are with chains, especially when it gets a bit more slushy

Once you know how to fit them, less than a minute to fit and quicker to take off.

I have got over 200 miles use out of them, that is the issue for you, if you are only going to need them occasionally then they are fine, if it is for any prolong use then I would go for chains or winter tyres. They are (depending on make) accepted instead of chains.

The only other point to consider is that when you take them off they are soaking wet and will have picked up all the debris from the road soaked in, so as they dry out they can stink and will continue to do so for several days!!!

firedecisions - 2019-01-10 5:35 PM

I haven't (yet) used the snow socks on the motorhome but I have used them a lot on cars, I found them very easy to fit and very effective in the snow (as a fire service response officer we used them instead of chains on our cars) I have never got stuck or lost traction with them in snow. You are supposed to remove them when you are driving on tarmac but that is only because they wear out quicker. You are not so limited by speed as you are with chains, especially when it gets a bit more slushy

Once you know how to fit them, less than a minute to fit and quicker to take off.

I have got over 200 miles use out of them, that is the issue for you, if you are only going to need them occasionally then they are fine, if it is for any prolong use then I would go for chains or winter tyres. They are (depending on make) accepted instead of chains.

The only other point to consider is that when you take them off they are soaking wet and will have picked up all the debris from the road soaked in, so as they dry out they can stink and will continue to do so for several days!!!

If we had a "like" button on the forum, this would get it!

Archived