Tomtom Sat Nav Upgrades

Ginny1

When Uconnect units with integrated Tom-Tom sat-nav began to be installed in Fiat Ducato X290-based motorhomes there were complaints that the mapping was well out of date and that an update was not available. (Example here)

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/built-in-car-navigation-25/uconnect-tomtom-radio-sat-nav-map-update-issue-on-new-march-2015-fiat-ducato-based-motorhome-976503

It would seem from this link

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18867/~/installing-a-map-on-uconnect-5-radio-nav

that map updates are now available every 3 months, but no prices are give. So if you know what the cost of a map update is, perhaps you could say, please?

(If any forum-member has successfully performed the map updating procedure, it would be worth knowing how smoothly this ran.)

Roads don't change much over the years and very often when they do, even a new motorway or new by pass, we found that it takes very little map reading abilty or common sense to be able to interpolate and see on the sat nav what is going on.

On that basis I have never paid for a map update on any sat nav and when we sold the van last year the 9 year old TomTom had guided us safely all over mainland EU for many years without any problems.

On the other hand I can understand the desire for up to date maps by some folk, but if new car built in sat navs are anything to go by even updated maps are rarely up to date - merely less out of date!

To update the Europe maps on my Tom Tom GO 60 the price here is A$89 (UK£52 approx). This is a portable gps as there was no map package for Australia available on the 2015 x290 update builtin unit back then. I would expect that Tom Tom would charge around the same price for the Fiat version. If the map download is as easy as it was for the GO60 you should not expect any problems. Cheers, 

Tom-Tom’s support webpages (link in my previous posting) provide the following advice about the Uconnect radio/sat-nav devices that are an option for Fiat Ducatos.

"For Uconnect 5", only map installation is supported by TomTom. For any other queries, including navigation features, or for support for the 6.5" and 7" models, support is provided by the Fiat Group.

For the Uconnect 5” Radio Nav Reference Guide click here: www.mopar.eu/eu/en/warranty-maintenance Then follow the on-screen instructions.

To speak directly to a Fiat Group customer support representative in your country click here: www.mopar.eu/eu/en/customer-care”

Because sat-nav functionality is part of the vehicle’s Uconnect radio unit, map updating (as Tom-Tom’s website explains) will be more complicated than updating a stand-alone sat-nav device. The complete updating procedure is covered on the Tom-Tom website and involves downloading the new map to a USB stick connected to a computer, taking the USB stick to the vehicle, connecting the stick to the Uconnect unit and (with the vehicle’s motor running) waiting for the data on the USB stick to be transferred to the Uconnect unit.

I would have thought that the complaints in 2015 about not being able to update the maps on Uconnect units fitted to Ducatos have now been addressed, but I can’t find anything on-line to confirm or deny that. I would also have thought that some forum-members would have a Uconnect-with-sat-nav unit fitted to their motorhome and would be able to comment - but that does not seem to be the case.

If I had a Uconnect-with-sat-nav unit in my 2015 Ducato I would undoubtedly have explored updating its mapping by now, but (fortunately) I do not. Patricia (Ginny1!) does have the Uconnect unit in her 2016 Ducato-based motorhome and, consequently, it should be straightforward for her to check using Tom-Tom’s website whether it is now possible to update her Uconnect’s mapping and also what the cost would be.

If it transpires that these units’ mapping can still not be updated, cost will be irrelevant: if the mapping can be updated, presumably Patricia will be able to identify what the cost would be. If the cost per update is high, it may be worth updating the mapping only, say, once per year (or not at all) but it would be necessary to know the cost to make a value judgement.

I have a stand-alone Garmin sat-nav and can update its software and full-European mapping up to three times annually free of charge. The updating process is simple and worthwhile (after the last update I am now able to reach my home without being directed to drive across a field) and it was evident when driving in France last year that many recent-ish changes to the French road system were reflected in my Garmin’s latest mapping.

Updating my previous Garmin sat-nav would not have been free and I chose not to do it. Basic stand-alone sat-navs are quite inexpensive and it made more sense to replace the old Garmin device (that could be cranky) with a more modern one that was more sophisticated and had ‘lifetime’ free mapping updating. This approach will, of course, be much less attractive when a vehicle has an integrated sat-nav.

Thank you for all your replies. I have been on Tomtom's website and know how to do the updates. You can purchase various map upgrades from £50 upwards.

I however tend to agree with Tracker. We have just used the system on many tours over the last couple of years and as Tracker says you can negotiate your way around places.

Thanks once again.

I suspect that Tracker is making a virtue of necessity and, if his elderly Tom-Tom’s mapping had been updatable at no cost, he would have kept it up to date (which is what I would have done with my original Garmin device if updates had been free).

If the mapping on your 2016 motorhome’s Uconnect unit is also a 2016 version (I assume you know if that’s so) and being provided with directional help is all you are interested in, then paying £50+ now probably won’t be worthwhile. But if you use the sat-nav to warn you of speed restrictions, keeping the mapping up to date becomes more attractive as, although roads tend not to change too much, speed limits do.

Prior to sat-navs being available motorists used hardcopy road atlases, and most people only replaced those atlases every few years. So if you’ve found the Uconnect sat-nav’s capability and accuracy adequate when you’ve been travelling, there’s no desparate need to pay £50+ to keep the mapping current.

Tom-Tom markets some sat-navs with European “Lifetime Maps” that allows four or more full mapping updates to be downloaded free of charge every year for the life of the device. As far as I’m aware "Lifetime Maps” is not offered for Uconnect units - the vehicle owner has to pay through the nose.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-01-11 10:36 AM

I suspect that Tracker is making a virtue of necessity and, if his elderly Tom-Tom’s mapping had been updatable at no cost, he would have kept it up to date (which is what I would have done with my original Garmin device if updates had been free).

If the mapping on your 2016 motorhome’s Uconnect unit is also a 2016 version (I assume you know if that’s so) and being provided with directional help is all you are interested in, then paying £50+ now probably won’t be worthwhile. But if you use the sat-nav to warn you of speed restrictions, keeping the mapping up to date becomes more attractive as, although roads tend not to change too much, speed limits do.

Prior to sat-navs being available motorists used hardcopy road atlases, and most people only replaced those atlases every few years. So if you’ve found the Uconnect sat-nav’s capability and accuracy adequate when you’ve been travelling, there’s no desparate need to pay £50+ to keep the mapping current.

Tom-Tom markets some sat-navs with Europen “Lifetime Maps” that allows four or more full mapping updates to be downloaded free of charge every year for the life of the device. As far as I’m aware "Lifetime Maps” is not offered for Uconnect units - the vehicle owner has to pay through the nose.

As this, I still have a older TT which I've never updated beyond the first year, which was free', the yearly cost would have been much to high for me to consider doing it.

My new TT has 'lifetime' maps, speed cameras, and traffic, worldwide.(speed cameras and traffic being limited to certain countries). I believe TT issue 4 map updates a year, I only bother updating once a year, it is noticeable how far behind speed camera updates can be, sometimes several years.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-01-11 10:36 AM

Prior to sat-navs being available motorists used hardcopy road atlases, and most people only replaced those atlases every few years.

Far from making a virtue out of a necessity Derek, when I bought my TomTom updates were, and still are last time I looked, expensive and not free as you appear to suggest.

Nevertheless had I considered them a] worthwhile and b] value for money I would have spent the money as cost has not been an issue for me for many years, but old habits die hard and vfm and rip off prices most certainly are an issue.

Ironically Santa brought me a new TomTom just before we retired from motorhoming two years ago and that does have free lifetime updates, but apart from once in a car it has never been used, and never updated as the cars have adequate built in sat navs - albeit out of date!

Tracker

I’m not sure how you managed to interpret what I wrote as suggesting that mapping updates for your old Tom-Tom sat-nav might have been free, as it should be plain that I was saying the exact opposite and, because the updates had NOT been free, this had been a real disincentive for you to not update.

The ‘necessity’ was that it would have unavoidably cost you to regularly update your old Tom-Tom sat-nav. The ‘virtue’ was that, because roads don’t change much over the years, you appeared to be saying that this was a persuasive reason for you not updating.

Come on, I can’t imagine anyone refusing a free new road atlas every year, arguing that as roads don’t change much there’s no point in accepting the offer; nor can I envisage you deliberately choosing over a 9 year period to not update your old sat-nav if updating would have cost you nothing.

Like Colin with his older Tom-Tom device I chose not to update my original Garmin sat-nav - and the reason for not updating was because the cost dissuaded both of us from doing so. Colin and I now have sat-navs that can be updated free of charge and, because there’s no financial penalty and up to date mapping should always be superior to out of date mapping, we both now update the devices. That seems like ‘gift horse’ commonsense to me.

• 2 weeks later...
hi, this maybe of interest , I've just updated my Go 600 to include South Africa. Because the memory was basically full I had to buy a Mini SD card and insert that in the base of the Nav, purchase the relevant map off Tom Tom (£69.95) and then download as per My Drive Connect, talked through the process by a Tom Tom phone call. Easy!

I've got the Tom Tom in my Bessacarr and it's a waste of space. It reboots itself sometimes and, if it loses satellites it has a brain fade. If I pull in to fill up whilst following a route, and turn the engine off, it can take 5 mins for it to find it's way again - and that's flipping annoying when you're in a built up area. Also, I'm 8 foot wide and there is no way to allow for dimensions so why they fit them escapes me.

I use a stand-alone system that allows dimensions and speed limits to be set, and it gets annual updates for nowt. It also has campsites and all manner of POI and can be fitted nearer the line of sight than down on the console.

Making do with an out of date satnav is probably easier for those with a co-pilot or on a motorway, but certainly around places like Sheffield where bus lanes are introduced, one-way systems changed etc., it's not easy listening to directions from an out of date machine and looking for the correct route.

Ginny1! - 2018-01-09 4:10 PM

Hi, We have a 2016 Fiat chassis m/h that came with a built in tomtom uconnect sat nav. I am wondering if anyone has purchased map upgrades for Europe from Tomtom and if you found it was worth the cost. Thanks

Hi we have the same "uconnect 5" unit in a Peugeot based motorhome, new August 2017. I felt that the maps were out of date when I got it so went through the procedure of preparing the usb stick and putting it into the computer, and visiting Tom Toms website. I got a message saying no update was available.

I also wanted to use my mobile phone to get traffic information - a big fuss was made about being able to do that on tomtoms website.

I contacted tom tom, who directed me to Fiat. Because it is a Peugeot I emailed the Peugeot UK. They directed me to my local Peugeot dealer. I emailed them. Still await a reply 6 months later. I tried to buy updates - but be careful it won't let you instal the £50 update as far as I can see.

The idea is that like all built in satnavs the update is carried out by the dealer during the service ( so updates available every 2 years).

As far as a digital radio, media player and hands free for the phone it is brilliant. As a sat nav it is very poor, as others have said already.

looses satellite reception at awkward times

takes your down narrow roads with low bridges

constantly reminds you that it cant get traffic information

I will try updating the maps again via the website in the next few days and let you know what happens.

We have just (as in 2 hours ago) returned from Spain. We started off using both the Connect 5 and a cheap £35 chinese lorry satnav together. We soon stopped bothering with the built in Satnav.

I don't really like the chinese option as a matter of principal, as I am sure it has been copied in breach of copyright. However from a practical point of view it works far better, apart from the screen being difficult to see in bright sunlight.

Steve Drew - 2018-01-23 9:07 AM

I purchased the latest update for my built in Ducato sat nav, and frankly save your money its still not sutable as a Motorhome Sat Nav

I believe that if your travelling in anything bigger than a van conversion, then an up-to-date satnav (and commonsense enough not to follow it 'blindly') is essential because of width limits, weight limits, speed limits, new road lay-outs and the peace of mind. Also, of course, it can highlight petrol, supermarkets, parking and much more. If you travel solo then it is ridiculous to try and follow maps (as mooted above) unless you stop after every junction and check the next stage. Yes, some years ago people used to navigate by maps but there weren't as many road restrictions, there wasn't so many vehicles, and people didn't travel as far as they do now. Oh, and you could ask the AA to send you a printed route!

I ignore the TT in the van - it is as much use as a chocolate teapot. I use a stand-alone satnav configurable for size and weight, and yes, I update it regularly.

My old tt kept indicating wrong directions-left s/o or right often when we could see the aire it

wanted to send us on a circular route to get to it.I tried to update--4hours then 21/2hrs with computer help line and 11/2 hrs with tt help-the tt is still empty and somewhere there are maps on the computer.

New tt -tried to FREE update before Christmas-it has been done 5 times,but this time wont update as it says full and to take some maps off, tried that and tried removing the multi language multi repeated speech.two afternoons later I have given up

Derek Uzzell - 2018-01-11 10:36 AM.......................

Tom-Tom markets some sat-navs with Europen “Lifetime Maps” that allows four or more full mapping updates to be downloaded free of charge every year for the life of the device. As far as I’m aware "Lifetime Maps” is not offered for Uconnect units - the vehicle owner has to pay through the nose.

My first Garmin nuvi didn't have lifetime map updates, but it was then possible to pay a one off fee to get lifetime updates from Garmin. I did, and they worked well. The current nuvi came with the full Europe mapping set and lifetime updates, so I have not checked whether the option to buy lifetime updates as a stand-alone bolt-on option still exists. However, it may be worth looking into for those with older units.

Regarding speed limits, I can only say do not rely absolutely on these, especially in France. There have been a lot of changes to speed limits, especially on approach to, and leaving conurbations, and the Navteq mapping lags (as do all maps, paper or electronic) events on the ground. The same is true for roundabouts, priorities, and one way systems.

Since the route is generated from the installed mapping, out of date mapping can produce some odd routing, so it is, IMO, worth keeping up to date, even though that can never guarantee a total absence of anomalies.

However, whether one would wish to invest the time to update 4 times yearly is another question. The full Europe set, plus any device upgrades, takes ove one hour and requires a reasonably stable internet connection if it is not to fail part way. Having said that, the update system has been improved to the point at which, once started, it can now reasonably be left to "get on with it" unattended.

I have a TT uconnect 5 in my Benimar purchased March 2017 and realised early on that the sat nav was out of date as it showed me in the middle of a field when I was on a long established motorway.

The version fitted was dated 12/2014 in a new van so I have successfully downloaded last weekend, via a long winded process with USB stick and computer, an updated 10/2017 version, at a cost of £50, which seems to be more accurate - time will tell.

As a novice motorhomer I agree with previous comments that the sat. nav for a motorhome is to be regarded as a tool (even if it could be tailored with width/length/weight etc which this TT cannot) and to be used in conjunction with a map, and a lot of common sense.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-01-11 2:29 PM

I’m not sure how you managed to interpret what I wrote as suggesting that mapping updates for your old Tom-Tom sat-nav might have been free, as it should be plain that I was saying the exact opposite and, because the updates had NOT been free, this had been a real disincentive for you to not update.

I'm not sure how you managed to interpret what I said as a mis-interpretation of what you said as I thought I made it perfectly clear.

However for the sake of clarity I will try to - err - clarify.

My two older devices never had free map updates and I never paid to update their maps, just the o/s and map shares etc. that were, and still are, free

When Santa unexpectedly brought me the new 510GO two years ago it came with free lifetime map updates and it is these I still hope to access and implement whilst I still, hopefully, can.

Archived